PDA

View Full Version : 3 handed 15-30 hand

04-13-2002, 04:09 PM
3 handed game at the Horseshoe

Button limps, SB completes, I knuckle with 8h5c.

Flop: KhTh4h. Checked to button who bets, SB folds, I call.

Turn: 2d. I check and call.

River: 8c. I check and call.

Comments?

04-13-2002, 08:57 PM
Is this hand a joke? do u know this player well? My hand would hit the muck the moment he bet the flop...the turn check call-are you serious? either bluff or release! the river i can not believe you saw, but apparently you did. This was the card you were hoping to catch i presume? check call? when u finally hit the hand your drawing to. WOW! I hope to hell this was a joke! Misplayed on everystreet except preflop.LOL

3 2 1

04-13-2002, 09:02 PM
Opps I misread post- u were drawing into a 8 high flush. I thought the flop was two toned.

3 2 1

04-14-2002, 01:07 AM
If the button is betting a pair w/o heart you're a 3:5 dog and get no odds to call b/c you know he would bet any heartless turn. If he has a higher heart you're practically dead (1:5 dog). And even if he only holds a gutshot w/ 2 offsuit overcards, you just have a coin-flip, but as he could easily get away from the hand when a heat turns, it would still be a marginal call.

This, of course, is just the mathematical situation. Your position and passive play make things even worse. If you were positive that he's on a cold bluff, you should have check-raised the flop or the turn and hope to take it down there, otherwise IMO you have a clear-cut fold on the flop.

cu

Ignatius

04-14-2002, 04:24 AM
I like it. You pay 15 for 60 with the median flush draw on the flop. Then a 2 comes (which can't help anybody (he says, optimisticly)) and you call 30 to make 100. On 5th street you make the nut pair, call 30 to take 160, and your opponent screams, "How can you play that junk?!"

You didn't mention players. Were you familiar with Button's game? I think you made a good play if Button was a reasonably good player.

04-14-2002, 10:23 PM
He turned over Qs9c for no pair and my hand was good.

04-14-2002, 10:28 PM
Button was a decent player. I think that maybe I should have checkraised the flop. Since I was going to the river anyway, I hink that I need to give myself a chance to win without hitting.

If a blank for me had come on the river, (no heart, 5 or 8.) I was considering betting out.

04-14-2002, 10:30 PM
I agree about checkraising the flop being my best play. However, there is no circumstance that I can imagine folding my 8 high flush draw in this spot. Betting out on the flop and checkraising seem the two best plays, but I'm not sure which is better. I think folding the flop is the worst option.

04-14-2002, 10:35 PM
On the river, I will only get called by better hands. With the 8 hitting the river, this is particularly true. I thought that checking to induce a bet on the river was clearly the correct play. I'm not so sure about the flop.

04-15-2002, 04:48 AM
This may sound a little strange, but I think of short-handed poker as a game, if not of domination, then of psychological ascendacy. Now, when one normally thinks of dominating, one thinks of Raise Raise Raise; but that's only one side of the coin. The other side is to keep your opponent from doing the same unto you, and one way to do this is through what you have so well illustrated: Obstinate Calling. It was inexpensive, you were never without outs, and even if you showed down a loser, you made your point: you're no cheap date. If the same situation reappeared, then you might have tried the check raise, but I think the approach you took here is not without its merits and future payoffs. The next time Button wants to make a move on you he'll be compelled to think, "Gosh, what if he has an eight?"

PS At a full table with players coming and going, Obstinate Calling is not recommended. The cost benefit ratio isn't right, and it may even go unnoticed.

04-15-2002, 01:59 PM

04-24-2002, 07:56 AM
Hi Clark,

Just read your post. Though I am a fan of obstinate calling against aggressive opponents headup, I prefer to do so with a pair (or big ace). In this small unraised pot, I do not like your flop check-call with a weak draw. If my opponents were prone to making reasonable laydowns, I would likely bet the flop; otherwise, I would check-fold.

-Mike