PDA

View Full Version : Flop=Straight...River=Paired Board

Ajax410
11-13-2004, 06:00 AM
My play on the river is what I would like everyone to focus on. Basically, I've been sitting at this table for a reasonable amount of time and I haven't seen the main opponent in this hand do anything out of line - seems like a slightly loose, solid player.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, SB calls.

Obviously this is a very nice flop. Not much to say about it here.

<font color="black"> </font>
Turn: (3.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

I don't think putting him on 64s or something along those lines is legitimate - so I think my play here is pretty standard.

River: (11.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Now, the board pairs and the plot thickens. He woke up when the T hit on the turn - so he could have been slowplaying a set/two pair, or he could have AT and be overplaying his hand. How do I procede from here?

Alex

SinCityGuy
11-13-2004, 06:05 AM
Bet and call if raised.

helpmeout
11-13-2004, 06:13 AM
Looks like slowplayed trips or an overpair.

I think bet and calling a raise is best here I dont see what else he'd be going crazy with.

Joe Tall
11-13-2004, 07:30 AM
Your hand is going to be good a fair percentage of the time, the pot is too big to think about folding; so bet and call a raise.

Peace,
Joe Tall

flawless_victory
11-13-2004, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet and call if raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan
11-13-2004, 10:15 AM
How often do you think his hand will be good against someone that caps the turn and raises the river vs. someone who caps the turn and bets the river when checked to?

Joe Tall
11-13-2004, 03:25 PM
How often do you think his hand will be good against someone that caps the turn and raises the river vs. someone who caps the turn and bets the river when checked to?

The same.

The point is you'll make more money when he calls an overplayed w/AT then when he checks through w/AT.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Schneids
11-16-2004, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The same.

The point is you'll make more money when he calls an overplayed w/AT then when he checks through w/AT.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll lose more money when you bet and call a raise versus checking and calling.

I would say it is substantially more likely to be a set (or 53s or even 64s!) on the turn than optimistically hoping it's an overplayed AT (or some other goofy hand like 54 or 32). Besides, I have no reason to believe that a guy who caps with AT on the turn is going to check the river so most of the time you still get the same BB you would have got by betting and getting called (plus IF he has 64s and also checks then that is peachy).

I seriously cannot believe I am saying it but I'd check and call on the river.

Evan
11-16-2004, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no reason to believe that a guy who caps with AT on the turn is going to check the river

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is very true and makes check-calling better.

Ajax410
11-16-2004, 05:27 AM
Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 4.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5, 3, 2 (4 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls, CO folds, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) T (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, MP2 raises, SB folds, Hero 3-bets, MP2 caps, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 5 (2 players)
Hero bets, <font color="red">MP2 raises,</font> Hero calls.

Results:

MP2 shows [ Jd, Js ] two pairs, jacks and fives
Hero shows [ Ad, 4d ] a straight, ace to five.
Hero wins $59 from the main pot with a straight, ace to five.