PDA

View Full Version : anyone like this?

fimbulwinter
11-13-2004, 03:43 AM
villain is a very LAG-y player who i feel relies heavily on reads. i've been running ice cold until now and so have the table image of an uber-rock. he loves to open from anywhere with any two for 15 to jack the blinds+limpers.

party 200NL 2/4 blinds

I'm on button, he's on CO.

my hand: AQo
i have about 250

all fold, he opens for 15, i make it 35. blinds fold. he calls.

flop was something small and raggy, i bet 50, he folds.

think this kind of play is good here long-term? i basically wanted to represent an overpair and/or find out if he had me dominated preflop. wouldn't try this on a calling station, but against a good lag...

fim

TheTimeIsUp
11-13-2004, 03:46 AM
Looks like a good play to me. You should conduct this move 100% only on your read on the other player.

Yeknom58
11-13-2004, 03:08 PM
What was his stack size?

If he has a huge stack, I like this less. If he has a smaller stack I like it more.

cornell2005
11-13-2004, 03:13 PM
against a lag, reraising preflop in position with AQ is rarely superior to calling. you really lose alot of post flop equity by doing so. the way you plyaed it preflop, betting the flop after he checks is a must. when he checks, the chance that he has no pair is greater than the chance he has a pocket pair that he will call with, so betting is virtually always the right play. if he bets out, the decision is closer, but usually a fold.

greg nice
11-13-2004, 03:28 PM
well this play seems largely read based. worked well. if hes raising with any two, then i tihnk this is a good move. if hes raising maybe top 35% of hands, it might be better to call so when you flop a pair you have him dominated.

amoeba
11-13-2004, 04:42 PM
why do you like it more with a smaller stack?

I like it more with a bigger stack as I have folding equity.

fimbulwinter
11-13-2004, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
against a lag, reraising preflop in position with AQ is rarely superior to calling. you really lose alot of post flop equity by doing so. the way you plyaed it preflop, betting the flop after he checks is a must. when he checks, the chance that he has no pair is greater than the chance he has a pocket pair that he will call with, so betting is virtually always the right play. if he bets out, the decision is closer, but usually a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying this as you're hoping he's raising any ace and i'm letting him know he may be dominated?

also, if you frequent the party 200NL game, you probably know the player i'm talking about; he's a super-LAG but shuts down when played back at. under these circumstances i was hoping to win the pot preflop, which i feel would be good value considering the hand and my current table image.

so you think letting him hold a dominated ace is better than trying to win the pot right there, or am i missing something?

fim

okayplayer
11-13-2004, 05:32 PM
I like the play. I prefer the re-raise PF because it shows that you have a very strong hand, and you can thus bluff at any board. If you flat call, he probably figures you have a hand, but not necessarily a very strong hand, and you really have to hit your hand to take it down. Because when you call, that allows him to possibly bluff the flop. And when he bets, you just don't know where you are.

Yeknom58
11-14-2004, 12:03 AM
First of all I'm talking about the LAG's stack just so we have this clear.

In my personal experience if the LAG has a huge stack he's very willing to call with ultra marginal hands and make crazy bluff re-raises. I would probably still bet like most of the time but I like it less if our lag has a massive stack.

cornell2005
11-14-2004, 12:59 AM
technically you shouldnt be trying to bluff a lag player very often. so when you say that most of the reason you reriase preflop is to get him to lay down his hand, you are saying that you are trying to represent a hand stronger than your own and make him fold. but since laggy players dont lay down their hands enough, raising to get a fold usually isnt the right idea.

you can make a case that re-raising is best against a super lag for value reasons. if you think that he will call with any ace and get broke on most ace high flops, then by all means go for it. but this type of player is really really rare in a non .01/.02 game. plus if he really is that laggy, you will break him on an ace high flop if he has Ax even if you flat call his preflop raise, a large % of the time.

so overall, i say you shouldnt reraise AQ vs an extreme lag in position because the best way to beat a lag is with made hands. right now you are only drawing.

now if for some reason he very very often raises preflop but folds to any action, then reraising preflop is a possibility. but these players are also really really rare, and technically arnt lags.

cornell2005
11-14-2004, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the play. I prefer the re-raise PF because it shows that you have a very strong hand, and you can thus bluff at any board. If you flat call, he probably figures you have a hand, but not necessarily a very strong hand, and you really have to hit your hand to take it down. Because when you call, that allows him to possibly bluff the flop. And when he bets, you just don't know where you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont want to be bluffing a lag. you want to make hands then take advantage of their looseness by value betting them the entire hand.

fimbulwinter
11-14-2004, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
now if for some reason he very very often raises preflop but folds to any action, then reraising preflop is a possibility. but these players are also really really rare, and technically arnt lags.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's one of the most winning players in the 200NL game, at least according to my stats. this describes him perfectly, which is really the reason i made this move.

he's loose in entering a pot and raises pretty much every time he comes in, hence the lag tag. probably misleading. the main point of my preflop move was to make him lay down, and be left with a draw that could possibly break him.

is there a better acronym for such a player, or is now the time to make one?

okayplayer
11-14-2004, 07:46 AM
I generall agree, but it seems as this is a case where the LAG is a thinking (atleast somewhat) player, so in this case, I think I re-raise PF is best. If you think he is non-thinking and an average-to-below average player, then I'd say call, and let him blow off his stack.