PDA

View Full Version : Short 5-max hand

04-01-2002, 07:14 PM
I check my BB after 3 limpers with 96.

Flop comes 642 monotone (all diamonds, I've none)

I as only person check-call the buttons bet.

Turn is an offsuit queen, and I bet out, he calls.

River is an offsuit 8, I check and call.

Assume players are typical, because that is what they were.

Comments?

Regards

04-08-2002, 04:38 PM
Ikke, I would have bet on the flop or checkraised if I noticed that he tries to buy pots frequently. In short handed games you HAVE to be more aggressive !

Enrique

04-09-2002, 01:49 AM
I think your play is one of a couple of reasonable ways of playing the hand, and I don't think it makes much difference. You might have check-raised the flop, but since you haven't got a lot of hand and the limpers will often fold anyway, calling seems acceptable. I wouldn't have been inclined to give him a free card on the turn or bet into his possibly bigger hand on the river, given that it's hard for him to check down something like a ten-high busted diamond draw.

On the river I think you pretty much have to check and call, as he's unlikely to fold a better hand or call with a worse hand after calling when the queen hit the turn. Your check indicates a range of hands worse than queens, so he's going to bet a lot of hands you can beat, maybe including some weaker ones for value.

04-09-2002, 02:31 PM
This seems to me just one of those hands where you shouldnt be more aggressive.

My hand is weak and if best there are a lot of possible draws out that can easily beat my hand.

Now the button as only person bets, I dont think check-raising is much profitable here, because overcards without a good heart probably wont call anyway and if I dont raise I can get off cheaper if a heart comes on the turn.

On the turn I have to bet IMO, because itīs nowhere near certain that he will bet a big heart (where he very well could bet the flop with).

On the river itīs what Chris Alger said: He wont call with a worse hand if I bet and will call with better ones. I hoped to induce a bluff and it worked. He had a big heart no pair.

Regards