PDA

View Full Version : A9s: Top pair againt PFR....Played well or CRAPPY?

Lmn55d
11-13-2004, 01:28 AM
In this hand I like betting out the flop. I am questioning my flop 3bet and my river bet however. Clearly I was folding to a river raise. Thanks guys.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.25 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font>

StellarWind
11-13-2004, 11:43 AM
The flop bet is good. I'd like to know how aggressive he is preflop and flop before I 3-bet heads up. This won't be good against a passive player. Valid alternatives to the 3-bet are calling down and doing a stop-n-go if you like the turn. It all depends on the read.

With no read I might call the flop raise and not bet the turn when the third club hits, figuring that even if he doesn't have a flush, the potential flush draw has reduced my equity.

Having 3-bet the flop, the turn bet is correct.

I don't like the river bet against a PFR. What better hand will fold? What worse hand will call? Better to check-call.

Bob T.
11-13-2004, 11:48 AM
What do we know about our opponent here?

Against many 2/4 players, I think you threw away money.

If your opponent would play unimproved overcards this way, then I think you play was reasonable. But if I was going to play overcards this way, I would want to have at least a backdoor flush draw, and that got there in the end. But at the same time, that doesn't say that your opponent has that.