PDA

View Full Version : CHEATING HEADS UP ONLINE

03-28-2002, 11:04 AM
WHAT HAPPEND WHEN SOMEONE USE A HEADSUP-SOFTWARE PROGRAMM TO PLAY HEADS UP ONLINE?

03-28-2002, 02:19 PM
You should win because they don't play very well.

03-28-2002, 03:53 PM
Any reasonable player should be able to destroy any commercially available software program, but there was a scandal of sorts at paradise involving 4 bots supposedly programmed by an AI team that had been developing backgammon players. They played under the names SarahConner, Orson, and two others. Even the non-conspiracy theorist were pretty sure they were bots, and apparentlty they were very, very good. They are gone now. The full story is in the archives.

03-28-2002, 06:58 PM
You could do that with Acespade's Hold'em Pro software but I think it would be very easy to tell if someone were doing this because it would be incredibly slow.

For every action, you would have to alt-tab over to the program, input the cards on the board, what the opponent's actions are, then wait for it to calculate a choice.

Compared to how fast a typical HU match moves, it would be not only easy to detect but also impossible for someone trying to do this.

03-29-2002, 02:34 AM
Wow, this sounds really interesting... can you tell me where in the archives I might find this? They're pretty large.

03-29-2002, 07:19 AM
http://www.twoplustwo.com/digests/inet_arch_feb01_msg.html#10369

http://www.twoplustwo.com/digests/inet_arch_aug01_msg.html#19881

the first is from feb 2001 when the suspicions first arose

The second is a really long thread that started in Aug 2001 when someone claimed he made a bot and used it on PP. While it is interesting, the really good stuff about Orson, Empty House, Sarrah Conner, and LaFranc starts with the first post in the thread by Erik123. He, lastchance, and Deloros all discuss the issue, and, since we know they are winning players and not crazy conspiracy theorists, it is quite interesting.

i'd like to hear your opinion after you read it

-Glenn

03-29-2002, 07:23 AM
just find the august 2001 post in internet gambling entitled "bot and paid for" or something like that

03-30-2002, 04:20 AM
Is this the same BoredaTheist from Pokerroom a very long time ago???

03-30-2002, 11:17 PM
A very long time ago? Is that possible on the internet? /images/smile.gif

04-01-2002, 03:56 PM
Using a Bot, a calculator, Pen, Pencil, Book, a card with opening requirements... all of this is not cheating.

To cheat would be to alter or change the game in some way.

Many times when I play I look at my holdem notes.

I don't know of any Holdem Software that can beat an average player.

I believe using any aid.. as long as You can't see your opponents cards is fine.

04-01-2002, 06:37 PM
I agree, it is not much different than having your copy of HPFAP open next to you while you play.

04-01-2002, 07:21 PM
A computer can be programmed to be mathematically unbeatable at heads up poker. Having a copy of HPFAP by your side (even if you can instantly find any piece of info you are looking for inside) will not make you even close to a winner at the 1-1 tables at PP. The two are not comparable at all.

04-02-2002, 12:10 AM
Hpfap???? what is that.

I don't know what it is... but still... it's not cheating.. look tables or computer.

Thats how I see it.

04-03-2002, 06:12 PM
I would say using a computer would be cheating. The other things are fine (although very rude if it keeps your opponent waiting).

In playing chess online, using a computer is definately considered cheating.