PDA

View Full Version : How to Adjust from 10 handed

ChessMan
11-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Hi,

I'd like to know how to adjust my ten handed game. I tried searching using the search tool. If someone remembers a good post on the topic that would be much appreciated.

I'm currently making a killing 6 handed, but I'm just getting good cards. I don't feel comfortable.

MEbenhoe
11-12-2004, 10:38 PM
A common advice I've seen given is as a beginner to treat it as a full game where the first 4 players have folded. That will give you a start at least.

ChessMan
11-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Yeah I've been using that for a start. Just looking for some meatier material to read.

That advice about imagining a bunch of folders isn't really that good because if 4 out of 6 are seeing the flop all the time then they are playing a lot of junk. But if first 6 players fold and then last 4 players limp in they have better hands on average than the 4 outa 6 in short handed.

Also, first to act preflop short handed is tricky too. Speculative hands must be less valuable. 89 suited for example. You are first to act. Do you limp with that? SSH says limp with it ten handed.

A9 offsuit must be more valuable. SSH says don't play it ever, but obviously short-handed this is playable. It isn't likely someone else has the ace. If no one else has a pocket pair, you are better.

So anyway I like to read theory and what experienced players have to say. I was wondering if anyone has a link to a post or valuable resource about adjusting from ten handed to six.

ChessMan
11-12-2004, 11:13 PM
I found this. If anyone has anything else please post!
http://www.learn-texas-holdem.com/introduction-to-shortanded-texas-holdem.htm

ChessMan
11-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Well I just read that article. I don't know if he knows what he's talking about or what.

So how about you guys answer this one: how big a bankroll do I need for SH play? 300xBB is the number thrown around for full ring games.

sammy_g
11-12-2004, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That advice about imagining a bunch of folders isn't really that good because if 4 out of 6 are seeing the flop all the time then they are playing a lot of junk. But if first 6 players fold and then last 4 players limp in they have better hands on average than the 4 outa 6 in short handed.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, so it's just like a full game where the first 6 fold and the last 4 players play way too many hands. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, if the last 4 players are playing bad cards, this is a great game. Just because there are only 6 players at the table doesn't mean they should play any two.

sammy_g
11-12-2004, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So how about you guys answer this one: how big a bankroll do I need for SH play? 300xBB is the number thrown around for full ring games.

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends on how aggressive the game is. For the Party 1/2 6 max, I recommend 600. For the 5/10 6 max, I recommend 5000. The 5/10 is more aggressive and has bigger swings.

sammy_g
11-12-2004, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A common advice I've seen given is as a beginner to treat it as a full game where the first 4 players have folded. That will give you a start at least.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not just a start. This is exactly how you should play, provided that in full games you adjust your strategy for players who are too loose and players who are too aggressive.

sammy_g
11-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Honestly, this forum is the best resource I've found for 6 max play. There's a shorthanded section in Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players, but it really discusses heads-up and three-handed play, which is different than 6 max. I recommend you read through the archives here.

SlantNGo
11-13-2004, 01:10 AM
I attempted a SH starting hands chart in this thread: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=headsup&Number=1219869&pag e=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=all

I'm also coming from the full-ring game so maybe this will help some. My hands chart doesn't deal with steal defense right now however. But just like everyone else said, this forum is a great resource. Read lots of posts!