PDA

View Full Version : Guidelines For Nut Peddling?

toss
11-12-2004, 09:17 PM
I keep hearing this term around these parts. Is this what nut peddling is?

-I limp in with any pocket pair under JJ (given theres no raise) and muck em if I don't hit.
-AA,KK, and QQ I raise 4-5 BB and/or go all-in on the flop.
-AK,AQ I bet 3-4 BB and bet big or go all-in on the flop if I think I have the best hand.
-I only play the higher suited Broadways and mid-pocket pairs against a raise with people in the pot.

wdbaker
11-13-2004, 05:17 AM
Sounds good to me, I'm sure everyone has their own twist on it but that sounds pretty spot on mate...

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co

fimbulwinter
11-13-2004, 05:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I keep hearing this term around these parts. Is this what nut peddling is?

-I limp in with any pocket pair under JJ (given theres no raise) and muck em if I don't hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, raise TT PF sometimes too. nut peddling doesnt mean playing passive.

[ QUOTE ]
-AA,KK, and QQ I raise 4-5 BB and/or go all-in on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

gak. even with tiny 50BB stacks this is a bad strategy. if you plan to commit yourself on the flop, raise more preflop. if you plan on getting good, learn to play past the flop with hands like these.

[ QUOTE ]
-AK,AQ I bet 3-4 BB and bet big or go all-in on the flop if I think I have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

see above

[ QUOTE ]
-I only play the higher suited Broadways

[/ QUOTE ]

no!

[ QUOTE ]
and mid-pocket pairs against a raise with people in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

these are actually pretty normal guidelines, nothing insanely rocky here. people should play this tight when they first sit down. only once you know the table's flaws should you deviate from proper play to maximize your returns.

fim

toss
11-13-2004, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the tweaks fimbul. I really do needa pratice more agression.
-Raise AA,KK,QQ to an amount that would make a significant dent in their stack.
-Push hard unless I have reason to believe they have something big. (Set, two-pair, flush, mostly set)
-Loosen up to suited connectors on button and in multiway pots. (Good strat if you know how to play?)

And one more thing. Is the variance in NL really less than in Limit? In my first few hours of NL my bankroll went on a wild ride. (KQ losing to KT on a KKx board, AA losing to 99, etc.)

jtr
11-13-2004, 06:59 AM
Strictly speaking the variance is not less than in limit. I've found a standard deviation (in big bets per 100 hands) of about 12 or 13 in limit, and closer to 25 in no limit. However, the variance feels psychologically lower, assuming you play a reasonable number of hands, as your underlying win rate is likely to be better at NL than limit (I know mine is by a long way), thus cushioning you from downswings to a remarkable degree.

greg nice
11-13-2004, 03:33 PM
variance is lower in NL because you can put more money in when you are the favorite thus killing any pot odds that might be available.

LokiV
11-13-2004, 04:38 PM
And for this reason the variance is higher on sites w/ extremely loose players (partypoker) who will call the overbets on their draws and win their % (you should win more, but in multiway pots you aren't always a favorite).

Drop the suited broadways without position, or if newer drop them altogether.

Remember the 5-10 rule for low pocketpairs. The odds are tougher to find on PP w/ their 50bb structure whereas on pokerstars I made most of my money from paltry PF raises w/ deep stacks and hitting sets.