PDA

View Full Version : Short 0-8

03-06-2002, 10:40 PM
Playing in a five handed omaha eight or better game, the other day, and I felt lost. I've played lots and lots of full table 0-8 the boring and profitable way, butfelt i had to loosen up short handed, and realized i didn't have much of a sense of medium strength starters. I included A-4s in my starting repetoir, and 4 cards over 9 instead of 10, and played big pairs a little stronger. I also drew at second and third nut hands, unless I was pretty sure I was beat, but started to think i was getting pushed around a little too much, and ended up calling down with some big losers.

Can you just wait -- for good starters (almost all A2s, A3s with help, or 4 10 or better), and afte the flop draw mainly at nuts for low or high hands with an excellent chance at being good -- short handed and be able to afford the blinds? What are the omaha equivalante to group 4, 5, or worse hands? Any ideas? Thanks.

03-07-2002, 01:47 PM
I don't think 5-handed is as nearly a 'short' games as is 5-handed holdem. - at least as far as loosening starting requirements goes. However, if you have good reading ability, there are a lot more plays you can make. If you have your opponent(s) on low, for example, there are more opportunities for betting with a high like two pair, or for making a move if a A or 2 comes dinking on the end.

It all depends on the game and the players. I think O8 needs to be 3-handed before it gets really open. If you can play the flop really well, you can start looking at coordinated hands with 3 wheel cards, or all high hands.

What format, stakes and player pool? How many players see the flop?

03-14-2002, 09:39 AM
When only two or three players are seeing the flop, I think high-oriented hands and mediocre two-way hands increase in value at the expense of low-oriented hands.