PDA

View Full Version : The first time I've ever feared set over set

edge
11-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Crypto 0.50/1 6-max

I'm UTG+1 with $110, and I get 3/images/graemlins/club.gif3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG limps, I limp, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds.
BB (loose-passive 60/5 preflop, passive postflop except when checked to and he has TP+, he almost never bets first to act without a super-monster; essentially, I have a great read on him, and he's the reason I'm here) with $113 raises it to 4.
UTG calls, I call, Button calls.

Flop 3/images/graemlins/heart.gifA/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Originally when he made the raise, I put BB on a really big hand. Now he bets out 11. At this point, I can put him on one of two hands - AA or AK. I don't see him betting out with anything else here. Am I a wuss if I put him on a set and try to get to a showdown cheaply?

ricdaman
11-12-2004, 05:13 PM
There was a hand where I had 55. Someone raised big pre-flop so I assumed he had AA or KK. I called hoping to make a set.

Flop came 5AK, 2 hearts. He was first to act and bet the pot. I had a STRONG feeling I was beat, but just couldn't bring myself to fold it. I justified it by saying to myself, "He wouldn't bet a set on the flop; he'd slowplay it." We ended up going all in on the flop, and I lost to his KK.

Just a word of caution.

I would not call you a wimp, but if he does have AA, there is no way you are going to see a cheap showdown. At this point, you are either going all in or folding.

SlyAK
11-12-2004, 05:28 PM
There are 3 possible combinations of AA that he could have and 12 possible combinations of AK. So, he will have AK way more often than AA here. If he is the type of player who will be willing to go to the felt w/ AK get as much money as you can into the pot.

Sly