PDA

View Full Version : I stink at pot limit

ipp147
11-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Ok, slight exaggeration I'm not that bad but. How do you play a draw out of position in PL?

Would you make these calls heads up due to the leverage you have when you hit or is the fact that your out of position mean that you might not get the money in when you hit?

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (8 handed)

CO ($49.8)
Button ($32.36)
SB ($117.35)
Hero ($48.4)
UTG ($34.1)
UTG+1 ($66.05)
MP1 ($28.25)
MP2 ($62.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $1, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $1, CO folds, Button calls $1, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($5) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $2</font>, Button calls $2, SB calls $2, Hero calls $2, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($13) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets $5</font>, SB calls $5, Hero calls $5, MP2 calls $5.

River: ($33) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, MP2 calls $8, Button folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: $49

ricdaman
11-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Your chase is fine. You had pot ods. (Flush draw + 2 overs = 15 outs, or a 54.1% chance of winning!)

I would check the river. You have 2 previous bettors behind you. It is likely one of them will bet the river, then you can check-raise.

wdbaker
11-13-2004, 05:37 AM
Just from the quick scan it looks good to me, that river thing is kinda people dependent in that many times if the 3rd flush card hits and you check, they will just let it check through not wanting to put any more into it just in case someone has the flush.

Other times if you check they will try to buy the pot buy making a bet so that others think they have the nuts which is perfect because then you c/r them.

And again other times if you don't bet too much they will think you don't have the flush and are trying to buy it and so will call you down.

If you are not damn sure someone is going to bet after you check then you've got to get some money in and hope they call or even raise so you can take them down.

It's one of those things that is difficult to put your finger on sometimes, maybe some game theory would help here.

Something else that I've played with is making small bets on the flop and turn so they will follow and then when the flush hits check it, they will most likely call you through and then bet out on the river trying to buy it when you check it on river which allows you to c/r again.

Honestly though, nothing ever always works /images/graemlins/smile.gif

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co