PDA

View Full Version : Best movie you've ever seen.

Niwa
11-12-2004, 03:12 PM
Fight Club is my favourite movie. I love everything about it. The setting, the dialogue, the script, the sound.

wacki
11-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Ohh too many to list, Rounders, any guy richie film, Underworld, Top Gun, ....

mikeyp
11-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Fight Club is my favorite also!!!!

"I flipped through catalogues thinking what kind of dining set defines me as a person?"

Topflight
11-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Moulin Rouge

Sponger15SB
11-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Quiz Show.

Weird, I know.

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Moulin Rouge

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm... Nobody bend over for anything with him in the room.

M2d
11-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Singing in the Rain
It's always Fair Weather (doesn't get as good reviews as SITR, but I like it for Cyd Charrise)
Casablanca

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Singing in the Rain

[/ QUOTE ]
Musicals? I bet you have all the Barbara Streisand albums too.

ThaSaltCracka
11-12-2004, 03:58 PM
All three Lord of the Rings films. Simply amazing, and should have won best picture three years in a row.

SpeakEasy
11-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Goodfellas

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All three Lord of the Rings films. Simply amazing, and should have won best picture three years in a row.

[/ QUOTE ]
So did you think they lived up to the books? Great movies, I agree. But.....?

M2d
11-12-2004, 04:00 PM
nope. no Barbara. lots of Aswad, Dennis Brown, Lucky Dube, Travis Tritt, ACDC, Zep, and a bunch of Hawaiian stuff.

Niwa
11-12-2004, 04:03 PM
"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile."

"We're the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives."

"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your [censored] khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."

ThaSaltCracka
11-12-2004, 04:04 PM
yeah I thought they did, especially the extended versions. Every time I left the theater I was completely satisfied with the films. Peter Jackson did an amazing job.

CWsports
11-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Shawshank Redemption

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shawshank Redemption

[/ QUOTE ]Another great one.

Niwa
11-12-2004, 04:08 PM
I agree they are great but the books are even greater.

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 04:09 PM
Been so long since I read the books. 6th grade. But I remember finishing the last one at like 3am and lying there unable to sleep the rest of the night.

spamuell
11-12-2004, 04:14 PM
I really really like:

Dr Strangelove.
The Believer.
Rope.

MrGo
11-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Good Will Hunting

Topflight
11-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Jake,

It's hilarious how overly concerned you are about being popular. If you see anything nerdy or unmasculine you are almost forced to point it out. Why would you say that is?

"Hey look at that nerd watching anime, that's nerdy right?, cuz I'm not a nerd. You guys are aware of that right. That I'm not a nerd. Just making sure"

"Oh man, that guy is watching Moulin Rouge. That's gay right?, cuz I want you to know that I don't watch it. I'm not gay. You guys know I'm not gay right?... Right?"

NLSoldier
11-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Wow, The first two that came to mind were Fight Club and Rounders and they also happened to be the first two replies in the thread. Weird.

ThaSaltCracka
11-12-2004, 04:20 PM
dude, the books are amazing, and simply put, the movies were not let downs by any means. That right there should prove just how good they were. Every scene in the movie was almost exactly how I pictured it to be when I was reading the book.

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jake, It's hilarious how overly concerned you are about being popular. If you see anything nerdy or unmasculine you are almost forced to point it out. Why would you say that is?

"Hey look at that nerd watching anime, that's nerdy right?, cuz I'm not a nerd. You guys are aware of that right. That I'm not a nerd. Just making sure"

"Oh man, that guy is watching Moulin Rouge. That's gay right?, cuz I want you to know that I don't watch it. I'm not gay. You guys know I'm not gay right?... Right?"

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I'm not at all concerned with being popular. But it is how hilariously thin-skinned you are. It's a joke, man...or miss...whatever it is you homos like to be called these days. A joke, as in not-to-be-taken-seriously.

Topflight
11-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Swingers
Pulp Fiction
Top Gun
Good Will Hunting
Matrix

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Swingers
Pulp Fiction
Top Gun
Good Will Hunting
Matrix

[/ QUOTE ]
All good I thought. I wouldn't put Top Gun in a "best" category. And swingers was a great one-liner kinda movie, but not otherwise great IMO. GWH was great.

theBruiser500
11-12-2004, 04:27 PM
The list of movies being generated here is pretty pathetic, I mean, Rounders? Cool movie, but best you've ever seen? Come on.

exist
11-12-2004, 04:34 PM
American Beauty
The Hustler
The Graduate
Abre los Ojos and Vanilla Sky

I remember that at the time I first saw Fight Club I thought it was the best movie I had ever seen.

mmbt0ne
11-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Swingers
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Trainspotting
Usual Suspects

Those are the 4 movies I watch most often. Has anyone heard about a third movie by Guy Ritchie along the same lines as Lock, Stock and Snatch? I remember one of my friends talking about it, but I haven't seen anything online about it. If he is making one, I hope it's better than Snatch, that movie was nowhere near as good as Lock, Stock.

Topflight
11-12-2004, 04:37 PM
My whole point is that the joke is hardly ever funny.

"It's amazing how many nerds post here"

True. But pointless and unfunny. Also not a joke.

"Yo mama was uh ooomper looompa"

Funnier than what you actually said.

"Hmmm... Nobody bend over for anything with him in the room. "

Standard generic unfunny gay joke.

"Musicals? I bet you have all the Barbara Streisand albums too. "

Slightly better than the bending over joke.

Anyway, every joke you make is just finding something that is nerdy or gay and then spouting out something generic.

You gotta make us laugh, like the time people were talking about the hottest women in poker. Someone says Jennifer Harmon. Daryn says:

Are you talking about Jennifer "I was created by Jim Henson" Harmon.

That is funny.

spamuell
11-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Wow, The first two that came to mind were Fight Club and Rounders and they also happened to be the first two replies in the thread. Weird.

I'm not really surprised at Fight Club being mentioned, although I didn't love it, but I am astonished that anyone would mention Rounders. It's quite a fun poker movie, but as a favourite movie, wtf?

NoPeak
11-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Dazed and Confused
Pulp Fiction
Sling Blade
Tombstone

MrGo
11-12-2004, 04:39 PM
I agree with Pulp Fiction. Great movie.

ThaSaltCracka
11-12-2004, 04:40 PM
I agree, step up your game Jake, it is sorely laking, much like my sex life.

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Usual Suspects was a great movie. I thought snatch was really good, but I honestly had trouble understanding the dialog in Lock, Stock.

CWsports
11-12-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, step up your game Jake, it is sorely laking, much like my sex life.

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently like your spelling too

spamuell
11-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Has anyone heard about a third movie by Guy Ritchie along the same lines as Lock, Stock and Snatch?

You're probably thinking of Mean Machine, which was OK, a bit entertaining but not nearly as good as either of the other two.

You might be thinking of Layer Cake which wasn't Guy Richie but it was made by the producers who made Lock Stock and Snatch. It was abysmal.

The once and future king
11-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Momento
Breaking the Waves
Iron Cross
The Wild Bunch

NotMitch
11-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Rushmmore

CWsports
11-12-2004, 04:45 PM
AMC had the original "The Hustler" on a couple weeks ago. It was the first time I had seen the entire movie. Gleason and Newman were great in the movie.

Pirc Defense
11-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Schlinder's List
Magnolia
The original three Star Wars movies

M2d
11-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Poison Ivy II. That un-[censored] enough for you?

fwiw, Gene Kelly has stated that he got into dancing because it helped him pick up chicks. probably would still work today. My wife and I are taking a ballroom class at the local CC, and the thing is full of college aged girls (some pretty hot) and devoid of college aged guys.

Plus, if Jeremy Giambi had the footwork that Kelly or Astaire had, the A's would have gone to the WS a couple of years ago. I've already told my wife that any son we have will take tap classes from an early age so that he can become a middle infielder.

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gene Kelly has stated that he got into dancing because it helped him pick up chicks. An admirable reason. And a lot of NFL players were taking ballet at one time. But I bet you never heard them singing showtunes in the locker room.

[/ QUOTE ]

astroglide
11-12-2004, 05:24 PM
momento, rushmmore, schlinder's list? i think one should be able to spell their favorite movie titles /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lumpy
11-12-2004, 05:31 PM
Anything by Andrew Blake. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwana devil
11-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Drugstore Cowboy
Coolhand Luke

to name two

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Coolhand Luke

[/ QUOTE ]
I had a good friend years ago in the Marines that got out and moved to Vegas. Last time I talked to him he was working at the sports book at the California downtown. I tried to call him once after not speaking to him for like 10 years, and his answering machine still had the same message. It was him doing this perfect imitation, "Whta we've got here... is a failure... to communicate. So leave your name and number at the beep....." Great message.

maryfield48
11-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Godfather II
Godfather
Cuckoo's Nest

How the F has this thread gone near 50 posts without a Godfather film?

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I started to ask this very question when Goodfellas came up first.

mmbt0ne
11-12-2004, 05:59 PM
You might be thinking of Layer Cake which wasn't Guy Richie but it was made by the producers who made Lock Stock and Snatch. It was abysmal.

Yeah, that was it. Glad to know it sucked. Now I don't have to wait anxiously for it.

daryn
11-12-2004, 06:12 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Jake,

It's hilarious how overly concerned you are about being popular. If you see anything nerdy or unmasculine you are almost forced to point it out. Why would you say that is?

[/ QUOTE ]

weren't you the guy who changed your name because... eh nevermind.

thirddan
11-12-2004, 06:15 PM
damn straight, godfather 1 &amp; 2... woohoo...

11-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Das Boot, and it`s not close /images/graemlins/smile.gif

namknils
11-12-2004, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shawshank Redemption

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite too.

goofball
11-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Tombstone
The Shawshank Redemption
A Beautiful Mind

Duke
11-12-2004, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every scene in the movie was almost exactly how I pictured it to be when I was reading the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Bag End looked like Bag End looked in my head 20 years ago when I read the books. Moria was exactly as I'd imagined it. And so on. Gandalf was Gandalf, Legolas was Legolas. Aragorn seemed a little older to me in the books, but close enough. Viggo did a good job.

The first time I saw FOTR I had this 350 pound biker guy sitting on my right. Probably had a Harley, leather jacket, and a semi-fat biker chick that he banged. You know, one of those guys who looks for reasons to start a fight.

When Gandalf fell at Khazad Dum, this guy was crying. Any movie that can make a biker cry because a 75 year old gay guy falls off a bridge has to be good.

~D

YourFoxyGrandma
11-12-2004, 06:44 PM
This is Spinal Tap

blendedsuit
11-12-2004, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is Spinal Tap

[/ QUOTE ]
Derek Smalls: We're lucky.
David St. Hubbins: Yeah.
Derek Smalls: I mean, people should be envying us, you know.
David St. Hubbins: I envy us.
Derek Smalls: Yeah.
David St. Hubbins: I do.
Derek Smalls: Me too.

Duke
11-12-2004, 07:18 PM
I watch movies and try to figure out what one scene the movie was really about, and then see if it was handled well. If that works I like it, whether or not the rest of the film was great. I do the same with books. And poems.

With that in mind, here are some films that I say are great, and can't really pick between them.

Gattaca, The Princess Bride, all the LOTR movies, Empire Strikes Back, Amadeus, Citizen Kane, and I'm sure there are many more.

And I think that Gattaca is the most underrated movie in recent memory.

~D

theBruiser500
11-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Browsing this thread, this is the only list I've seen that is respectable.

"Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Godfather II
Godfather
Cuckoo's Nest"

Number4
11-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Respek to the Lord of the Rings nominees.

I can't name just one, but here's my top 4:

Usual Suspects
Indiana Jones Last Crusade
Groundhog Day
Braveheart (yes, cliche I know)

wacki
11-12-2004, 07:32 PM
CWsports who is that babe in your avatar, she is hot.

tolbiny
11-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Honestly Jake, grow up-
just because he likes moulon roughe doesn't mean he wants to [censored] you in the ass
it means he wants you to [censored] him in the ass

Alobar
11-12-2004, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fight Club is my favourite movie. I love everything about it. The setting, the dialogue, the script, the sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

without a doubt, the best movie ever made.

Requiem for a dream is amazing as well

Duke
11-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Well, I guess a lot of people like the Godfather movies. I do not. I never saw Casablanca, so I can't comment on that.

Cuckoo's nest was great, though.

~D

Benal
11-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Leaving Las Vegas

Natural Born Killers

Those are my two all time favs.

dsm
11-12-2004, 08:05 PM
"Patton, The Musical"

Coming in second place, "Bad Ronald" (1974) (TV) (http://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/be/76/09_1_b.JPG)

-dsm

Duke
11-12-2004, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Leaving Las Vegas

Natural Born Killers

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I liked LLV a whole lot, but thought that NBK was garbage. It's weird how personal tastes overlap oddly at times.

~D

ThaSaltCracka
11-12-2004, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When Gandalf fell at Khazad Dum, this guy was crying. Any movie that can make a biker cry because a 75 year old gay guy falls off a bridge has to be good.

[/ QUOTE ] Precisely. I had easily one of my nerdiest moments of my life while watching Return of the King. During the scene in which the Rohirrim come to the big battle and start trucking everything, I was literally cheering my ass off, then suddenly the scene changes to a quiet part and I am still cheering.... what a nerd /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I remember also during the first movie, before it started some nerd 14 year old kid stood up before the movie started and yelled out "Who here has actually read the books". I promptly yelled out, "Shut up Nerd!", no joke. I hate little bitch ass punk teenage nerds.

ThaSaltCracka
11-12-2004, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Godfather II
Godfather
Cuckoo's Nest"

[/ QUOTE ]
Bruiser, no one is asking for your permission to like a certain movie. People have different tastes, and in this thread, I haven't seen someone list one bad movie yet.

theBruiser500
11-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Yeah whatever saltcracker, the point is that the people in this thread have surprisingly bad taste in movies.

banditbdl
11-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Godfather, by a nose over Godfather II.

blendedsuit
11-12-2004, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is Spinal Tap

[/ QUOTE ]
Derek Smalls: We're lucky.
David St. Hubbins: Yeah.
Derek Smalls: I mean, people should be envying us, you know.
David St. Hubbins: I envy us.
Derek Smalls: Yeah.
David St. Hubbins: I do.
Derek Smalls: Me too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [Pause] These go to eleven.

ThaSaltCracka
11-12-2004, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah whatever saltcracker, the point is that the people in this thread have surprisingly bad taste in movies.

[/ QUOTE ]naw, see that is just your opinion. There are plenty of "good" movies I don't like at all. People just have different taste. I will say though that those people that said Rounders need to reevaulate their decision. I like the movie a lot, but it has some serious flaws to it.

Reef
11-12-2004, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
Moulin Rouge

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... Nobody bend over for anything with him in the room.

[/ QUOTE ]Honestly Jake, grow up-
just because he likes moulon roughe doesn't mean he wants to [censored] you in the ass
it means he wants you to [censored] him in the ass

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reef
11-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Matrix 1, Leon: The Professional, Memento, (and Fight Club)

Danenania
11-12-2004, 10:00 PM
In order of the top of my head since I can't pick just one (or just 5): The Graduate, The Big Lebowski, The Beach, Vanilla Sky, Deconstructing Harry, Dr. Strangelove, LOTR, American Beauty, Office Space, Pi, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, What Dreams May Come, Austin Powers. Fight Club gets honorable mention for being a great adaptation. However, the message is just too self-righteous and preachy for my tastes.

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Requiem for a dream is amazing as well

[/ QUOTE ]
amazingly bad, not to mention depressing.

bonanz
11-12-2004, 10:07 PM
i didn't see anyone mention the sting. great movie

"What was I supposed to do - call him for cheating better than me, in front of the others?"

Danenania
11-12-2004, 10:08 PM
It's depressing of course but what's so bad about it? It isn't one of my favorites but I certainly think it's well done.

Legend27
11-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Impossible to pick just one movie but I always enjoy watching Platoon.

Legend27
11-12-2004, 10:50 PM
"So did you think they lived up to the books? Great movies, I agree. But.....? "

I don't think any movie has ever lived up to the book it came from. Lots of books to movies are like that including, The Sphere, Jurassic Park, The Lord of The Rings and The Stand.

billyjex
11-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Alot of great movies posted.. I'd have to go with Shawshank Redemption.

Best comedy.. I love Office Space. I can watch that movie over and over.

wacki
11-12-2004, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]naw, see that is just your opinion. There are plenty of "good" movies I don't like at all. People just have different taste. I will say though that those people that said Rounders need to reevaulate their decision. I like the movie a lot, but it has some serious flaws to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put Rounders on my list of favorite movies because as an undergrad my buddies and I would wind down after the large masses of people left the crib by playing spades and drinking Bacardi with just enough coke for color till the wee hours of the morning. When the sun started to rise we would put on a movie and fall asleep to it. Rounders was one movie none of us got tired of watching. That alone is more than enough reason to put it on the best movie list. Cool Hand Luke is an awesome movie but I just can not watch it over and over. I saw the movie all the way through once and I've never made it completely through a second time. It's just too depressing. However, I will never get bored of the opening scene. To me Rounders is a much better movie than cool hand luke because to this very day I can still stay up till sunrise playing cards (now it's hold'em instead of spades) and then fall asleep to Rounders with a smile on my face. Too me, that is more important than anything else in a movie. If I can't watch it with my buds, it's not on my A list. Lock stock and two smoking barrels, Snatch, Scarface, Carlito's Way, Spaceballs, Tombstone, and most Adam Sandler movies kindof fall in category.

I just bought Casablanca and Citizen Kane 30 minutes ago so I can't comment on those yet.

If you can't respect Rounders I highly doubt you ever hung out with the kind of crowd I did. I loved those days, there aren't words powerfull enough to describe how much fun I had.

partygirluk
11-13-2004, 01:12 AM
Amadeus
Full Metal Jacket
Godfather
LOTR III
Spirited Away

M2d
11-13-2004, 02:10 AM
In high school, after going out separately with friends or after a date or whatever, my cousin and I would meet at my grandma's house and watch wierd science. this was every weekend for about a year. Doesn't make it a classic. doesn't even make it a great movie. Kelly LeBrock was hot. that was it.

pokerkai
11-13-2004, 03:00 AM
LOTR trilogy
Memento

Lazymeatball
11-13-2004, 03:11 AM
'Ben Hur' is always worth watching for a good 40 minutes whenever it's on TMC or History Channel. Worth watching from start to finish maybe once every year or two. 'Sand Pebbles' is also decent for flipping through.

Although they are no cinematic masterpieces, i could watch any Sean Connery Bond (and most Non-Connery Bonds) from any point in the movie at any time of day.

'Gladiator' has huge replay value, surprised it hasn't been mentioned. I'm also a huge fan of 'The Great Escape' and 'A Bridge Too Far,' both of which have dynamite casts and a great WW2 backdrop. 'North By Northwest' is probably my favorite Hitchcock films as I'm too lazy to delve into all the clever artsiness of his other work. 'The Getaway' is fun to watch. 'Reservoir Dogs' has a lot of great dialogue.

And why hasn't 'Blade Runner' been mentioned yet.

But for my all time favorite movie I'll offer something somewhat unique: 'Zulu'- A great battle movie showing the resilience of a small band of British Gentlemen led by Michael Caine using a proper accent.

wacki
11-13-2004, 04:02 AM
A few unmentioned:
-------------------
Lost Boys
Goonies
Predator
Heat
25th Hour
5th Element
Glory
American History X
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
A Bronx Tale

mmbt0ne
11-13-2004, 05:26 AM
Heat

Don't lie. You just saw that on TNT and came to put it up here. It's ok, I was about to do the same thing.

wacki
11-13-2004, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

"Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Godfather II
Godfather
Cuckoo's Nest"

[/ QUOTE ]

Just went out and spent $24 bucks and bough citizen kane....that movie is way overrated. Yes, it had a good moral lesson, but the movie is very slow going.

I hope casablanca is better. My roommate likes it so it probably will be. Still the only people I would recommend Citizen Kane to is the people who waste their life trying to reach the top. In other words, workaholics, bookworms, and the like. Citizine Kane was pretty low on the entertainment scale.

plaster8
11-13-2004, 05:33 AM
"Goodfellas" -- the one movie I can think of that's as good, or even better, than the book (which is "Wise Guy" by Nicholas Pileggi).

"Clerks" -- the $23,000 classic.

"American Movie" -- a documentary about a guy in Wisconsin who has always dreamed of making a movie. Has to be seen to be believed. Highly recommended -- it's worth the rental fee just to watch his stoner buddy.

"JFK" -- Sure, it's Oliver Stone's theory of what happened. But it's very well-done, and it's the only movie I've ever seen that made me want to go straight to the library to do research on its topic.

"Spinal Tap" -- "You can't really dust for vomit."

"Airplane" -- Might be the funniest movie of all time. I used to know the jive conversations by heart (and as a big doofy white guy, that always got laughs out of people).

thirddan
11-13-2004, 06:35 AM
from an entertainment only point of view Kane is a little boring but from a film art/technique perspective it was brilliant...

many movies excel in one area but lack in others, as a film student this is pretty important since most of the movies in my industry really suck from story/drama perspectives but are incredible in other regards...IE Day after Tomorrow...

theBruiser500
11-13-2004, 08:39 AM
Yeah, Citizen Kane isn't one of my favorite movies either.

dr. klopek
11-13-2004, 08:48 AM
Life is Beautiful
Donnie Darko
Requiem for a Dream
Goodfellas
Reservoir Dogs

NeverFold
11-13-2004, 10:15 AM
Godfather II
Godfather I
Clerks
Pulp Fiction - best high movie ever
Scarface
Seven
Oceans Eleven (for some reason I have to watch it every time it comes on)

texaspimp
11-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Caddyshack
Any Monty Python
Urban Cowboy (If you can't laugh watching this movie, you just can't laugh)
Patton
The Godfather
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The Sting
Tombstone

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Inherit the Wind

Duke
11-13-2004, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
citizen kane....that movie is way overrated. Yes, it had a good moral lesson, but the movie is very slow going.

[/ QUOTE ]

You kinda missed the point of the whole film. Nobody thinks it has the greatest story ever, or the greatest script ever. It was more amazing than Star Wars as far as special effects go, for its time. Deep focus. Long shots. Did you notice the desk that they cut in half and put back together so the camera could slide backward and film an entire scene in one shot? Neither did anyone else. Did you notice that they gave an entire impression of a political rally, and they show ONE guy with ONE megaphone, and a bunch of stock footage. They created a world out of next to nothing. They show you a library, and you believe it's a library. You see a statue, a door, and one book. And yet you feel like you're in a huge library. This is just off the top of my head.

Did you notice the shot when Kane is signing away everything, and walks into the background toward a window. The window looks normal sized. Then he keeps walking, and walking, and you see that the window is huge and like 7' off the ground. It not only makes him look tiny, you realize that it's huge.

Look for all those little things. That's what makes it a great movie. As far as entertainment, well, yeah you're right. If you don't appreciate that sort of thing, then you'll never have a good time watching Citizen Kane.

It's the kind of movie that people who really know film love, and others either don't understand and dislike it, or don't understand and feign enthusiam for because everyone else says it's great. At least you're honest by saying that you don't like it.

If you got the special edition listen to the Ebert commentary, since he'll point out the neat little things that everyone was amazed by for you. You may as well - I'd hate for you to have completely wasted 2 hours of your life. Invest a couple more and perhaps you'll appreciate the film a bit more than you do now, if only because you understand how groundbreaking what Wells did was.

If you want a better Wells movie, watch The Third Man. It's got a better story, and they use some of the same tactics as are used in Citizen Kane.

~D

theBruiser500
11-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Hey, I also said Citizen Kane wasn't one of my favorites either, aren't you going to compliment me for my lack of pretensions?

eric5148
11-13-2004, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Caddyshack

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about frickin time somebody said Caddyshack!

Fight Club and Silence of the Lambs were awesome, too.

Niwa
11-13-2004, 12:27 PM
For now I want to see "A beautiful mind"

gonores
11-13-2004, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Godfather II
Godfather
Cuckoo's Nest"

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but you were the last person that I thought I would completely agree with in this thread. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I second that sentimemt.

fsuplayer

thirddan
11-13-2004, 12:51 PM
i liked it, but not the kind of movie i would watch over and over again...

John Cole
11-13-2004, 01:10 PM
Kurn, you are too old to join in this discussion; I think we need a forty and above Other Other Topics.

SomethingClever
11-13-2004, 01:15 PM
Army of Darkness, and, to use a cliche, it's not even close.

SomethingClever
11-13-2004, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really really like:

Dr Strangelove.
The Believer.
Rope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rope!?! I mean, it's a cool idea, but it makes your top 3? You must be a huge Hitchcock fan.

eric5148
11-13-2004, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rope!?! I mean, it's a cool idea, but it makes your top 3? You must be a huge Hitchcock fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rope was awesome, Hitchcock's best work, IMO.

YourFoxyGrandma
11-13-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rope was awesome, Hitchcock's best work, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rear Window gets my vote.

BullChip
11-13-2004, 05:06 PM
well, probably not the BEST, but I thoroughly enjoyed the film and would never mind watching the film again... and again... and again... and........... again /images/graemlins/cool.gif

One film I absolutely love is Scarface. Garden State was surprisingly pleasant and would love to have that in my DVD collection.

My top 5 in no particular order as of today:

Scarface
Garden State
Rudy
Lost In Translation
Good Will Hunting/Rounders (depending on mood)

YourFoxyGrandma
11-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Has anybody seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? It's probably the best movie I've seen in the past 5 years and most of the people that I talk to haven't even heard of it.

theBruiser500
11-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Rudy, hahahahahahahahha.

ArchAngel71857
11-13-2004, 05:32 PM
1. Star Wars Orginal Trilogy (Return of the Jedi being my favorite)
2. LOTR (Return of the King being my favorite)
3. Shawshank Redemption
4. Lion King
5. High Noon

-AA

BullChip
11-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Rudy is classic.

Frodo!!!!

BullChip
11-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Yes, I've seen the film.

Great film.

Rico Suave
11-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Monty Python's Holy Grail

--Rico

astroglide
11-13-2004, 07:44 PM
eternal sunshine is an excellent movie, but 5 years covers back to 1999. serious territory. i wouldn't put it in my top 5 probably but it would be very high.

TylerD
11-13-2004, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

Chah Ngo
11-13-2004, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just how do you kick addiction to 12 step programs?

Lawrence Ng
11-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Forrrrrest Gummmp.

BadBoyBenny
11-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Hell yes.

And no, they weren't anywhere near as good as the books, but they were a better adaptation than I ever thought someone could possibly do in 9 hours.

BadBoyBenny
11-13-2004, 09:17 PM
I thought that the Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me movies were better than the book. Of course that's cheating because they were from novellas and didn't have to cram near as much content into the standard length.

bonanz
11-13-2004, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Inherit the Wind

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent

Duke
11-13-2004, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I also said Citizen Kane wasn't one of my favorites either, aren't you going to compliment me for my lack of pretensions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured you would be too busy reading translated books to augment your pseudo-intellectual material for other discussions to bother further with such a pedestrian topic such as film.

As a movie meant to entertain, it's also not one of my favorites. To deny the fact that it was an amazing technical achievement for its day, and brought much new life to the medium as a whole, is just ignorant.

Ignorance is bliss. Celebrate it while you can, for only the fortunate among us are able to preserve it for a lifetime.

~D

Legend27
11-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Army of Darkness is good but not the best. Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail is better. So many great lines in that movie.

Niwa
11-14-2004, 04:01 AM
That is a good one /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Niwa
11-14-2004, 04:01 AM
Memento is a great movie.

young nut
11-14-2004, 04:52 AM
Casino, by far. I watch that movie at least once a month.

astroglide
11-14-2004, 04:53 AM
interesting. i can't imagine rewatching that one a lot.

lastchance
11-14-2004, 05:04 AM
Princess Mononoke is a very, very good movie that I personally like.
Shawshank Redemption is amazing.
Gotta like Citizen Kane.

And sadly, I haven't watched enough 1337 movies to list others...

Blarg
11-14-2004, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quiz Show.

Weird, I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quiz Show was a very good movie. And compared to a whole lot of the other choices here, yours is far less ridiculous.

Blarg
11-14-2004, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've already told my wife that any son we have will take tap classes from an early age so that he can become a middle infielder.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I agree with you on the beauty and greatness of dance when it's done by people like Gene Kelly(though I like Donald O'Connor better, and Astaire too), but I have to admit, it sounds laughably cruel to put your son through multiple ridiculous goals like that just so you can achieve one of your own, and not even directly, but by the proxy of your poor bewildered kid.

That was one of the more hilariously disturbing things I've read in a while.

Blarg
11-14-2004, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Coolhand Luke

I had a good friend years ago in the Marines that got out and moved to Vegas. Last time I talked to him he was working at the sports book at the California downtown. I tried to call him once after not speaking to him for like 10 years, and his answering machine still had the same message. It was him doing this perfect imitation, "Whta we've got here... is a failure... to communicate. So leave your name and number at the beep....." Great message.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool Hand Luke is much loved but still very under-rated. It has that central theme of, "just play by the rules and we'll go easy on you -- all you have to do is give up. Just give up your soul." It was the same theme that was so chilling and great in "Catch 22." "Say you like us. Just say you like us."

They don't make films like that anymore. Now you're not supposed to worry that you may have sold out, but that somebody else who hasn't might infect you. The one exception I can think of is "Trainspotting," with its hilariously ending of the main character defiantly pretending to conform to a whole lifestyle and set of beliefs he couldn't have less respect for, after having cheated and misbehaved as much as possible to get there in the first place, and in very comfortable fashion.

You can definitely tell Cool Hand Luke was written by someone who had been around the block a few times. The guy who wrote it had worked in a prison chain gang himself. What a shame there are hardly ever any movies anywhere near as brave and challenging as that anymore -- or that even want to be.

thirddan
11-14-2004, 06:25 AM
i could watch the first tape over and over (thats right i have it on two VHS tapes), but the second tape gets kinda slow...

theBruiser500
11-14-2004, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured you would be too busy reading translated books to augment your pseudo-intellectual material for other discussions to bother further with such a pedestrian topic such as film.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck does that mean?

Duke
11-14-2004, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stand By Me

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fantastic movie that definitely deserves some mention.

You gonna shoot all of us?

No, Ace, just you.

~D

tolbiny
11-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Red Dawn

codewarrior
11-14-2004, 12:50 PM
#1 A River Runs Through It
and it's not even close....

Also:
#2 Dead Poet's Society

Titus

A Beautiful Mind

The Hustler

Regarding Henry

Cassablanca

Sling Blade

eric5148
11-14-2004, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
#1 A River Runs Through It
and it's not even close....

[/ QUOTE ]

What didn't even get close was my vomit didn't even get close to the toilet after I watched that movie cuz I couldn't get there fast enough. It sucked.

NeverFold
11-15-2004, 02:04 AM
Forgot all about Casino, gotta give that one a second mention.

Also Clockwork Orange, come on that movie has its own friggin language.

KanigawaCards7
11-15-2004, 03:15 AM
I dont know how you define best so it depends, but this movie is frikin awesome. everyone should see it.it should be required reading..............if it were a book

bonanz
11-15-2004, 04:01 AM
Cool hand luke is awesome.

[ QUOTE ]
Cool Hand Luke is much loved but still very under-rated. It has that central theme of, "just play by the rules and we'll go easy on you -- all you have to do is give up. Just give up your soul."

[/ QUOTE ]

cool hand luke is a jesus story

Schneids
11-15-2004, 04:30 AM
I am going to try to put these in order too though it'll be tough. It'll also be hard to stop at any particular number so my list may get long.

1. Fight Club
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. Simon Birch
5. The Sixth Sense
6. Silence of the Lambs
7. Pulp Fiction
8. Memento
9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
10. American History X
11. Schindler's List
12. Garden State
13. Dr. Strangelove
14. Requiem for a Dream
15. The Godfather

Schneids
11-15-2004, 04:32 AM
If my list was 25 long I'm pretty sure Donnie Darko would make it, but it'd be close. That might also be because I haven't seen a few movies that'd maybe make the list instead, such as American Beauty or Good Will Hunting (fsuplayer if you read this GWH is still on my to-watch asap list!)

nicky g
11-15-2004, 07:56 AM
Best ever: probably La Haine.

Best recent: Eternal Sunshine

Close behind:
North by North-West
Godfather
Groundhog Day

Donnie Darko is good, not best ever. People who really think that Fight Club, Rounders, or any of the LOTR films are the best they have ever seen need to stop smoking crack and/or see a lot more films.

The once and future king
11-15-2004, 09:23 AM
I forgot its correct spelling.

Phat Mack
11-15-2004, 10:57 AM
I think we need a forty and above Other Other Topics.

Good idea. I was going to respond to this thread, but I couldn't remember which Beach movie had Baron Von Zipper in it.

sfer
11-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Quiz Show is a fine, very subtle movie with remarkably good dialogue. Almost everything said in it has two levels of meaning.

Dominic
11-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Blade Runner

Niwa
11-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Agree that Bladerunner is one good movie.

ThaSaltCracka
11-15-2004, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People who really think that Fight Club, Rounders, or any of the LOTR films are the best they have ever seen need to stop smoking crack and/or see a lot more films.

[/ QUOTE ] Totally lame. There is a reason so many people went to see LOTR, and you know it wasn't because they had read the books......

AngryCola
11-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Donnie Darko... this is a movie I have heard so much about, but have never seen. I suppose I better get on that! /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Sarge85
11-15-2004, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was getting concerend as well.

Mine are:

GodFather (Trilogy)
Orginal Star Wars (Trilogy)
Fight Club
L.A. Story &lt;-Comic Relief

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-15-2004, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fight Club

[/ QUOTE ]
You are apparently not allowed to say this one.

NoPeak
11-15-2004, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best ever: probably La Haine.

Best recent: Eternal Sunshine

Close behind:
North by North-West
Godfather
Groundhog Day

Donnie Darko is good, not best ever. People who really think that Fight Club, Rounders, or any of the LOTR films are the best they have ever seen need to stop smoking crack and/or see a lot more films.

[/ QUOTE ]

Groundhog Day, looks like you are the one who needs to lay off the crack.

Macdaddy Warsaw
11-15-2004, 06:24 PM
How is it that The Big Lebowski was only mentioned once?

Duke
11-15-2004, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People who really think that Fight Club, Rounders, or any of the LOTR films are the best they have ever seen need to stop smoking crack and/or see a lot more films.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classifying LOTR with Rounders is akin to smoking crack. Aside from Casablanca, I'm pretty sure I've seen every single possible "best" film ever, and I think that the LOTR movies belong in that category.

~D

ThaSaltCracka
11-15-2004, 06:36 PM
I agree completely. Movies don't have to be more than 10 years old to be considered "the best".

wayabvpar
11-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Hard to pick just one. Some favs that impacted me one way or another-

Raiders of the Lost Ark (I STILL remember the day I saw it in the theatre like it was yesterday)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off- classic 80s comedy. Saw it 3 times that summer (first summer I could drive...woohoo!)

Saving Private Ryan- simply amazing

The Shawshank Redemption- who doesn't love this flick?

Goodfellas- I can probably recite this one line by line.

Raising Arizona- Ditto for this one.

The Big Lebowski- instant cult classic (if that is possible)

The Godfather- I like 1 much better than 2

The Sting- What a collection of great actors!

The LOTR trilogy- finally made me believe a fantasy movie could be made well.

The Matrix- a pity that the two dogshit sequels lessen its impact.

The Princess Bride- just so damned quotable and fun!

Fast Times at Ridgemont High- The role Sean Penn was born to play, nude scenes from Phoebe Cates and Jennifer Jason Leigh, and the last time Judge Reinhold wasn't completely annoying! A classic for sure.

The Blues Brothers- Great soundtrack

Midnight Run- DeNiro was funnier in this than all his recent comedies combined.

I could go on for hours, but these are the ones the leapt to mind.

ThaSaltCracka
11-15-2004, 08:58 PM
hehe, too hard to pick one, I agree. This has become a list of peoples favs, which is cool.

nicky g
11-16-2004, 06:37 AM
"There is a reason so many people went to see LOTR, and you know it wasn't because they had read the books...... "

I guess that makes Titanic one of the best movies ever too.

I'm not saying they're terrible movies, or that recent movies can't count. But they were essentially just big budget special effects extravaganzas. Entertaining I'm sure (personally I found them boring and silly), but hardly up there with the greats in terms of script, acting, anything really other than the effects and the scenery.

nicky g
11-16-2004, 06:39 AM
Groundhog Day is the perfect film, except it has that woman in it.

zephed56
11-16-2004, 10:36 AM
161 replies and no mention of Pootie Tang?

ok, here's the best....

-Led Zeppelin-DVD (ok, it doesn't really count)
My fav is Slap Shot

Another good movie that probably few have seen is Psycho Beach Party, so bad it was actually good.

The once and future king
11-16-2004, 10:46 AM
The ultimate so bad its fecking brilliant is Starship Troopers.

nicky g
11-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Yeah, except it cheats a bit because it was done that way on purpose.

End of Days was almost so bad it was genius. But it just missed and was awful.

The once and future king
11-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Doing that on purpose is concievably harder than makeing a film excellent on purpose.

P.S. If you want to see a film that highlights the pure art of film making see the 5 Obstructions by Lars Von Triers.

ThaSaltCracka
11-16-2004, 11:50 AM
not aure why there was a Titanic reference, but as for [ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying they're terrible movies, or that recent movies can't count. But they were essentially just big budget special effects extravaganzas. Entertaining I'm sure (personally I found them boring and silly), but hardly up there with the greats in terms of script

[/ QUOTE ] huh? The books were amazing, and the films were almost identical adaptions. Not sure what more needed to be done in regards to the script.

nicky g
11-16-2004, 11:58 AM
"not aure why there was a Titanic reference"

You defended it on the grounds that loads of people liked it/went to see it. The same is true of Titanic and many other terible films.

"huh? The books were amazing, and the films were almost identical adaptions. Not sure what more needed to be done in regards to the script. "

I've not read the books and I suspect I wouldn;t like them, but even if they're the best ever, a novel is much more than just dialogue. A film script essentially is just dialogue. There always has to be a large degree of change/adaptation.

But anyway I thought the dialogue was pretty stilted/bad.

ThaSaltCracka
11-16-2004, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You defended it on the grounds that loads of people liked it/went to see it. The same is true of Titanic and many other terible films.

[/ QUOTE ] Maybe what I said wasn't very clear then. What I meant was millions of people went to see this film, many of which who had never read the books simply because it got excellent reviews from critics and viewers. Simply put, people went to see it because it was good.

I agree with you on the Titanic [censored].

[ QUOTE ]
I've not read the books and I suspect I wouldn;t like them,

[/ QUOTE ] Then I am not surprised you didn't like the films.

FatOtt
11-16-2004, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4. Simon Birch

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Unbelievable how you could tarnish a very strong list with possibly the worst-ever adaptation of a great book.

Simon Birch is exhibit #1 of Great Books turned into Horrible Movies.

Ricky Slade
11-18-2004, 02:21 PM
best movies all different areas/topics

Godfather I &amp; II
Boondock Saints
The Shawshank Redemption
City of God
Swingers
Glory
The Exorcist
The Great Escape
Animal House

DeezNuts
11-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Ugh. Rounders as best ever? Oh well, who am I to talk, my favorite comedy hasn't even been mentioned:

Friday(Chris Tucker is amazing and all the secondary characters are hilarious)

But my favorite dramas have been mentioned a lot:

Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas

It's all opinion, baby!

DN

ZeeJustin
11-19-2004, 06:41 PM
My Favorite Movies:
1 American History X (1998)
2. Braveheart (1995)
3. American Beauty (1999)
4. Fight Club (1999)
5. Good Will Hunting (1997)
6. 12 Monkeys (1995)
7. Forest Gump (1994)
8. Shawshank Redemption (1994)
9. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
10. Pulp Fiction (1994)
11. Donnie Darko (2001)
12. Back to the Future (1985)
13. Lost in Translation (2003)
14. The Usual Suspects (1995)
15. Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (2004)
16. Office Space (1999)
17. Superman (1978)
18. Ghost Busters (1984)
19. The Terminator (1984)

VBM
11-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Am I going to be the only one who's going to say that every time it's on, no matter what I'm doing, I'm going to stop and watch Happy Gilmore? I couldn't work out the last time I was at the gym b/c they had it on, and I couldn't concentrate during the mini-golf scene...

Serious movies tho;
maybe it's b/c i'm getting older (entering middle-aged?) and the themes resonate with me, but American Beauty and Fight Club hit kinda close to home for me.

For foreign movies:
To Live made me feel like, we have it so good living here/now vs. in post-WW2 China...
Monsoon Wedding and Bend It like Beckham, like many Indian films, had really like, feel-good vibes about family in them.

If the special-efx were updated...
Jaws is really dated, but its made with so much skill, just about every monster/scare-type movie since is at least partially derivative from it.

I remember watching Pulp Fiction and Momento from scene to scene not knowing wtf was going to happen next. That was awesome...

And, Frailty scared the living sh!t out of me...

Matchstick Men needs to be in here somewhere too...

Richie Rich
11-22-2004, 04:05 PM
1. Fight Club
2. Tommy Boy
3. Swingers
4. Boogie Nights
5. The Rules of Attraction
6. Trainspotting
7. Good Will Hunting
8. Office Space
9. Donnie Darko
10. The Big Lebowski

Other notables include: Pulp Fiction, Happy Gilmore, Fargo, Airplane, American Psycho, Beverly Hills Cop, Half-Baked, Rounders, Magnolia, Clerks, &amp; Almost Famous.

Phoenix1010
11-23-2004, 12:15 AM
Strange, I don't think I saw Cool Hand Luke or The Sting on anyone's list... maybe I just missed it. Same for The Last of the Mohicans. Those'd be my three, along with American Beauty.