PDA

View Full Version : Mason, could you respond?

02-08-2002, 04:58 PM
This morning I came down to find my husband $200 stuck in a 10-20 heads up game. The blinds were weird, BB on the button, and his opponent was not aggressive, just called in the SB and rarely triple bet before the flop.

I watched as hubby blew another $200 by being just as aggressive in the SB as he would be if the SB were on the button, like it SHOULD be if you're even going to play. But anyway, hubby was still raising up front with K4 and 8-10off.

Now, I don't play heads-up as well as he does, he was sure to let me know, but I can't believe this is right. I think you should muck alot of the cheese in the SB and then be extra aggressive on the button when he's just calling in the SB.

At any rate, after I kicked him off the machine amid much yelling and throwing of mice, I won back $200 and decided to quit.

Mason, you are someone whose opinion I know my husband will respect. Could you please respond with what your strategy for this kind of game would be? Of course, everyone's opinion will be appreciated.

Thank you, Lesley

02-08-2002, 05:58 PM
I'm not Mason but being you opened the door I will comment.

If my opponents folds too often BTF, then raising with K4 or 10-8o can be profitable. I will pick up 1 BB X how many times he folds and when he does call(you said his opponnent routinely just calls) BTF there will be additional times these hands will produce winners.

Now if my opponent rarely folds BTF and still doesn't apply any pressure on me then I would rather see the flop with these type of hands for free having already posted the BB.

KC50

02-08-2002, 07:57 PM
I do not post on 2+2 often, but I am a lurker, have read your posts, and respect you opinion.

So, as it disappoints me that we disagree, let's be a little clearer!

I could agree with everything you say IF the blinds were not odd. The BB was on the button.

So, are you really advocating raising with cheese, and by this I mean 8-10, J-7, Q-6 and so on, in the small blind, where you will probably have to bluff up front on every card? Remember, this player is not aggressive, but he is a caller. Also, I realize that A and K crappy or middle are exceptions.

Also, you advised just seeing the flop on some hands. I totally agree, see the flop with Q-6 or like, in the small blind, but hubby was raising.

Wouldn't the more profitable strategy be to muck the Q and J crappy in the SB, give up the $5, and then raise the Q or J crappy the next hand, ON the button, when he just calls the SB, and be able to take advantage of all that acting last implies?

Please be honest if you respond... I admit to being somewhat less than proficient at implied odds...maybe I really don't understand heads-up at all. But thanks for replying at all, I appreciate it.

Lesley

02-09-2002, 04:11 AM
It all comes down to how often the BB will fold. If he folds way too much, you should do a lot of raising even though you are out of position. On the other hand, position does have value, so you should definitely raise less, given all other things are equal than you would if the small blind was on the button. Again, how much less depends a lot on the playing skills of the player on the button.

By the way, I don't know what limit hubby was playing, but your swings heads up can be pretty big.

02-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Oh, you did say the blinds were flipped, didn't you? Sorry bout that. With these cheesy hands as you call them, you are correct, I would not raise from the small blind, knowing my opponent will call routinely. The ? I would pose is how often does this opponent fold from the flop on? I would probably limp from the SB more often if I know I could out play my opponent from the flop on. Otherwise you are giving this opponent free $ because these cheesy hands against his random hands can still be profitable.

Mason said it much better than me and I'm right there with him. Especially what he mentioned of the swings.

KC 50

P.S. Have you thought of mentioning the positioning of the blinds to the house?

02-12-2002, 11:48 PM
200 bucks is nothing in a 10-20 HU game.

02-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Granted 200 bucks is 'nothing in 10-20 HE', however 200 bucks is 200 bucks. And if it's going out from under me at that sort of a clip, there ARE some questions about my play (particularly HU) that I need to get answered.

Very good question- I didn't miss the part where you said you copped it back for him, either.