PDA

View Full Version : How often can you go to the well?

02-06-2002, 11:15 PM
Before it dries up? I have found a player that likes to play heads up. Fortunately he has betting patterns which he does not deviate from and is therefore incredibly easy to beat.

For example when i am the button he will check raise the flop on a bluff, and then drop to a reraise every single time. If he holds a strong hand (top pair good kicker or better) he will check call the flop, and then check raise the turn.

Obviously i take his money over the course of a session rather easily, but as i don't want to risk him stopping this predictable behaviour. Therefore i sometimes fold to his on the flop check raises and show him middle pair.

How often should you let a player like this win?

02-07-2002, 04:41 PM
Never. NM

02-08-2002, 04:40 AM
There used to be two players on UB who were very weak at headsup but not so bad at a short or even full game. Any amount of aggression from me and they would fold immediately unless holding top pair. (I hasten to add I'm not great at headups but obviously can outplay somebody who doesn't know it at all).

How often should you let a player like this win?

I used to face the same dilemma myself, wondering how long it could last. So I often didn't raise when I was holding small or medium pairs to encourage them to think that when I did raise, I actually had good cards. I didn't mind being drawn out on in those cases. I also occaissionally would raise a bet on the river when I knew I was beat. I also stopped raising every small-blind preflop as it tended to annoy them if done excessively.

All went well for about ten or twelve sessions, then some observer piped up with a message something like, "You guys are the worst head-up players I've ever seen. You suck bigtime. Losers."

My opponent typed, "I don't mind losing but I won't put up with that. Bye Drifft. I'll play at Paradise. I'm never criticised there." Haven't seen him or his mate, the other bad opponent, since. We may be talking about the same guy Mr P.

02-09-2002, 06:12 AM
No this is a live opponent and he likes to play headsup 5/10 for up to about $200 a session, 1 or 2 times a week.

Dino's answer is obviously incredibly short sighted, as this guy could be $200-$300 a week for almost no risk, unless of course i beat him up everytime. My idea is to milk him slowly, rather than finish him off, and therefore he will keep coming back.

I get the general impression that many short handed players get so carried away with their own egos that they cost themselves money. Online it makes a lot of sense to just kill a weak oppponent because you may never see them again.

But then you get guys like Bobcards talking himself up, and now the only people who will play him are guys like Ramcrazyhorse, who destroyed bobcards.

02-09-2002, 04:31 PM
Mr. Peteson

I said never because of an experience I had several yeas ago. I was beating this fellow every payday for several months so I decided to let him win once. He never came back. Guess he just wanted to beat me one time in his career.

Dino.

02-11-2002, 11:23 AM
i just bust em asap, because i never know if when theyll be back