PDA

View Full Version : re-resteal, sort of

02-05-2002, 07:02 PM
5 handed 10-20 game on PP

the five of us have been playing together for close to two hours now and are starting to get a feel for our type of play. button in this case is fairly aggressive but up to this point the guy in SB and I have not been defending the blinds w/o at least about a group 4 hand so he's successfully stolen a few times (is that playing to tight?).

i'm BB with black 9's, folded to the button, he raises, small blind 3 bets and i cap it. original raiser folds, button calls.

flop is three blanks, he checks, i bet, he folds.

i think i probably had the best hand at that point though i didn't have what i was representing. he said later that he held QJs.

do you think i'm asking for trouble with this type of play not respecting the SB's 3 bet?

i figured my pair had a good shot at being the best hand going into the flop. thanks for any comments.

02-06-2002, 02:26 AM
You don't need a Group 4 hand to call a raise out of the blind in a five-handed game. At least, I don't. Hell, I don't even need a group 4 hand to raise out of the blinds. /images/smile.gif On the 99 hand, I'd probably play it about the same way. I miiiight just call the small blind's three-bet, but re-raising is just fine. It gives you a chance to get it heads-up with position. The small blind's three-bet by itself probably doesn't drive out the button, but your cap seals it. He probably just raised thinking you guys would cave (you had a track record; those Group 4 hands are hard to come by). Come to think of it, I really like the raise before the flop. Bet the flop. Bet the turn. Bet the river. Nice hand. FWIW, I think the small blind made a mistake not calling on the flop for one bet with overcards in a decent-sized pot.