PDA

View Full Version : Was this a bad check-raise?

Cleveland Guy
11-12-2004, 11:15 AM
This was at a shorthanded PLO hand. It was a couple days - but I think we were 4 handed.

it's a $50 Pokerroom game

Relevant stacks

me ~ $60
UTG ~ $30

I am in the SB with K /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG Raises pot to 1.75
I Call, BB Calls.

Flop comes K /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, BB Checks, UTG Bets Pot.

I Raise him ($10 I think). He pushes all in.

He yelled at me for my play - saying that it's bad in PLO ro check/raise and then call with just top 2 against so much aggression.

My thinking was I had top 2, and the 2nd nut flush draw. His PFR could mean many things, but I'm only really behind if it was on KK, QQ, or even 66 (unlikely). Since I have a K and Q each, and there is one on the board, he would have to have both of the remaining Ks or Qs making it less likely.

I also have the 2nd nut flush draw even if I'm against a set.

Needless to say, the 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif came on the turn, and I hit my flush. The river was a blank, and he turned over his set of Kings.

So, I don't know if I make this check raise at a full table, but being shorthanded, and with heads up action I thought it was a good play.

He be-rated me saying no winning player would check raise like that with top 2 against so much agression.

Did I get away with a bad play?

nicky g
11-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I don;t really like checkraising with top 2 unless you're sure he had raised preflop with aces (no reason to believe that here) and you've outflopped him. The reason being top 2 is kind of weak and by check-raising you don;t find out where you're at until you;ve stuck a lot of money in and are possibly committed. Worse still here as the BB may also be planning on check-raising - with people to act behind you you could easily be betting into a lurking monster. Heads up it's better.

wsop21
11-15-2004, 12:19 AM
i love the play