PDA

View Full Version : A question about Table Image (online)

ddollevoet
11-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Does anyone intentionally play bad at a table to project a "fishy" table image? I do vary my play somewhat, but I usually play tight aggressive. Sometimes, early in the game, I will intentionally play a hand horribly wrong, just so everyone can see "how bad I really am."

Last night, I intentionally called someone down with bottom pair and caught a runner-runner nut flush. I didn't have the pot odds to call, but I did anyways. I wanted everyone to think that I would call/raise on marginal hands.

Well my deception worked. This guy goes on a rants about how internet poker rewards bad play and that I should keep chasing. I was laughing out loud, but he was steaming. Mission accomplished.

Does anyone give up a little money early in the night in order to project an image that may win you more money later on?

phil_ivey_fan
11-12-2004, 10:35 AM
sometimes...

but I try to make it as cheap as possible...

sometimes I'll check raise w/ bottom pair or nothing and then show if they fold...

there are many things you can do to get action.

Tilt
11-12-2004, 10:48 AM
I don't think its worthwhile to throw money away for table image, in part because the turnover at tables is so large. Calling down is a bad way to do it, too...wouldn't you want to raise and be exposed as a bluffer? I would think an LAG table image would be more profitable than a LP one.

But there are a few plays I make occasionally that I think help your table image without hurting your return. Before others on the board berate me, please note I advocate using these tactics very, very sparingly.

One is raising your suited connectors in late position. From there I play it straight, but if you end up showing down your hand you loosen everybody up. I think this a pretty standard deception tactic.

Another play: When its clear I have the best hand or nuts, and I'm pretty sure that no one has anything to call even a small bet with, I sometimes go all in - 25X the pot if need be, knowing that no one will call but hoping this will force them to misread me later and discount me as an overexcited newbie.

In the same situation against aggressive players who bet a lot of flops and turns cold (when there is a scary board and I have the goods and am pretty sure I'll get no action from it) I will check every street and show down my monster having checked the whole time. I find this makes them think twice about betting cold, and they start to respect my checks giving me free cards later in crucial situations. It also leads them to think I am slowplaying alot which is obviously not good play.