PDA

View Full Version : TT Borgata 1-2 NL

chio
11-12-2004, 09:22 AM
hey all, first time posting on this particular forum, but i figured i could get help on a hand that was bothering me

Borgata $300 max buy-in 1-2 blinds

some notes:
i am BB with about $350 in front of me

UTG villian has the biggest stack at the table, around $650. he usually has a decent hand when raising, but i've seen him call $15 bets preflop in HU pots with stuff like 98s and T7s

SB villian has about $100, what she bought in for. this lady is a terrible player, will call her whole stack with any decent hand preflop and anything like top pair postflop

table has been sooo passive, with on average 4-5 people limping in preflop. i have only played 2 hands in 1 hour, never went to showdown

THE HAND
UTG raises to $20, lady in SB calls. i make it $100 with TT in BB, UTG calls, lady calls all-in.

flop is J42 rainbow. what is your plan from here?

Triumph36
11-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Ack. I made the same mistake (raising out of the BB with JJ) at the Borgata NL 2/5 and ended up stacking myself. This is not an easy position to be in and I would've simply called the raise, then led out at a flop like this.

I'd go for a check-raise here. If you can get Villain to underbet, coming over the top for 100 or so could get him to fold. I don't think leading out is right; Villain could fold and leave you heads up, if he calls you don't know what he has, and if he raises you should be folding. On the other hand, does Villain know enough that betting here without a jack, set, or overpair is foolish? If not, maybe you should underbet the pot and see where he's at. Sure, you'll give him odds to hit when he calls but you want to keep this pot as small as possible.

Out of position betting into a dry sidepot is a very difficult situation. I'm interested to know what the experts think of this.

SlyAK
11-12-2004, 04:41 PM
I really dont like the re-raise PF. I understand that you did it to try to isolate the horrible player, but you said that UTG normally has a hand when raising, so I dont know if you have enough fold equity for the re-raise to be profitable. With that said, since he called the re-raise I assume that he probably has JJ, QQ or AK. He could also have KK or AA if he is the type who would slowplay these now that the pot is so large.

I would want to see showdown as cheaply as possible here. I would fold to any significant action.

Sly

schwza
11-12-2004, 04:50 PM
this is made more difficult by the SB's dumb-ness. if there were a reasonable player all-in in the SB, then you could be confident that utg wouldn't try to do something sneaky like bet you out of the pot with AK, since a good SB would have AK or a pocket pair here. but since SB could have something horrible like KQ, it's possible that utg will try to knock you out so he can win with A high.

that said, i'd check. if utg bets, i'd flip him off and fold.

and oh yes, you did this to yourself by reraising TT in the BB.

chio
11-13-2004, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Out of position betting into a dry sidepot is a very difficult situation. I'm interested to know what the experts think of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

yah that pretty much sums it up there. i agree with all your guys that raising preflop does seem like the worst option here, because my hand is very vulnerable if i'm ahead and pretty much dead if i'm behind.

calling seems ok, but 10x the BB seems like a lot to call just hoping for a good flop, being out of position 3way and all. i did give some thought to folding, what do you guys think? UTG was kind of a clown but usually had something when he raised preflop.

greg nice
11-13-2004, 05:35 PM
theres no reason to reraise preflop out of position like that especially when you know that UTG usually is solid

Triumph36
11-13-2004, 05:56 PM
You're calling a little more than 5% of your stack. I believe the Ciaffone/Reuben rule on implied odds is that if a pre-flop raise is less than 5% of your stack, definitely call, more than 10 definitely fold, between 5% and 10% it's your decision.

The line I'd want to take here is to call the raise and lead out at a flop like this. On high flops, check/fold; check if you hit your set. If UTG opponent calls a flop bet, check/fold, if he raises, fold.

This is assuming the SB is loose/passive and won't bet, but I'd fold to any reasonable-sized bet by the SB (unless you hit the set, of course).

How'd the hand turn out?

bunky9590
11-13-2004, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
THE HAND
UTG raises to $20, lady in SB calls. i make it $100 with TT in BB, UTG calls, lady calls all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I love that Borgata 1-2. Do you see why? /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Here's a hint.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG raises to $20

[/ QUOTE ]
$3.00 in blinds and a $20.00 open, this doesn't send up red flags?

[ QUOTE ]
i make it $100 with TT in BB

[/ QUOTE ]
Really, next time you wanna reraise out of position with about $250.00 left to bet after the flop with a middle pair, just send the money to your favorite charity. They can use the money more than UTG I'm sure. AS soon as he calls, your probably toast.

Horrible play. Smooth call with TT and see what develops on the flop.

chio
11-14-2004, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The line I'd want to take here is to call the raise and lead out at a flop like this. On high flops, check/fold; check if you hit your set. If UTG opponent calls a flop bet, check/fold, if he raises, fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds like a great plan

anyway, to replay the hand:

flop is J42r, i check with the intention of deciding what to do when i see UTG act. he checks.

turn is Q, i unhappily check with the intention of folding to a big bet, UTG checks

river is a blank, i check, UTG checks
my TT beats UTG AK and SB KT

so i got really lucky that (1) my hand held up AND (2) that UTG was stupid and didn't make a play at it (since he could pretty much put me on AK or something like 99 TT)

of course next time i won't raise out of BB 3way against loose players with such a vulnerable hand to put myself in this tough spot

thanks for all the responses guys