PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody please define the word LAG?

paddysreturn
11-12-2004, 07:45 AM
Also, my understanding of the bubble is when there are only 4 people left at an SNG, is this correct?

viennagreen
11-12-2004, 08:01 AM
LAG is loose-aggressive...

i think that, in a top 3 payout structure, the bubble isn't necessarily just when there are 4 people left.... my opinion is that anytime the blinds are very high compared to the stacks, with 6 or less people left, it is a "bubble" situation... it's more of a "type of play required" situational definition than an absolute.

paddysreturn
11-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks

eastbay
11-12-2004, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LAG is loose-aggressive...

i think that, in a top 3 payout structure, the bubble isn't necessarily just when there are 4 people left.... my opinion is that anytime the blinds are very high compared to the stacks, with 6 or less people left, it is a "bubble" situation... it's more of a "type of play required" situational definition than an absolute.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be your opinion, but that's not what most people mean when they say on the bubble. They mean there are 4 players left.

eastbay

viennagreen
11-12-2004, 08:28 PM
I know that is most people's opinion, which I respect and sort of implied in my response.

I think that most people want a definite definition, but there is less utility in defining "bubble" as only when there are 4 people left.

For example:
5 people left in a top-3-payout SNG. (10K chips in play)
Chip Leader has 4000 chips
#2 has 3000 chips
Players #3,4, and 5 all have an equal number of chips (1000 each).

Essentially, there are 3 players on the bubble. All three players will be playing "bubble-style". And the two chip-leaders will have to recognize this in order take full-advantage of the situation.

So I think defining "bubble" as ONLY being when there are 4 people left is not as accurate, and a fuzzy definition has more usefullness.

Klak
11-12-2004, 08:34 PM
i guess you could extend bubbble to mean a"nywhere near the money but not in it." since 2 people can go out in a hand, i guess you could say that 5 left is the bubble. but most people mean 4 players (or 1 away from the $$) when they say bubble.

viennagreen
11-12-2004, 08:59 PM
yes of course two people can go out in one hand, but that's not the reason why i think that "bubble" can apply to meaning 5 people left

"bubble" situations dictate a certain style of play. If one hand can determine whether you finish in the money or not, you have to play a certain way. In the example I presented (which is a very common situation and not an overly contrived one), the plays that the big stacks and the plays that the small stacks make are all going to be exactly the same as in a 4-handed bubble situation.

So-- if the right way to play is the same, and if the stakes/risk of a short-stack losing one hand is the same, then I think that the definition should be the same.

The same thing applies for a large multi-table tournament. Many times you have 10 people out of 120 or so remaining that are all "on the bubble". These "bubble" people all want the others to bust out before them so that they can make the money. And the difference between them finishing in the money or not is usually just one hand.

There is a simplicity in defining bubble as "one away from the money", but the simplicity fails to include the elements of play involved. If you start thinking about "the bubble" in terms of how people play, then it's natural to extend the definition to include situations where people play the same.

stupidsucker
11-12-2004, 10:24 PM
I see what he is saying. When you bust out in 5th place with blinds od 200-400 it sure feels like a bubble loss.

The bubble is offically defined as 1 before the money.

(1st,2nd,3rd)4th,5th,6th........... See why?

rjb03
11-12-2004, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see what he is saying. When you bust out in 5th place with blinds od 200-400 it sure feels like a bubble loss.

The bubble is offically defined as 1 before the money.

(1st,2nd,3rd)4th,5th,6th........... See why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, because of the parentheses.

stupidsucker
11-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Exactly

rachelwxm
11-15-2004, 12:02 PM
I like the defition in MTT forum a while back
LAG: Jason (reraise all in w 72o against botton stealing standard play /images/graemlins/shocked.gif)
TAG: Sossman?
/images/graemlins/cool.gif