PDA

View Full Version : Who are the best $215ers?

ZeeJustin
11-12-2004, 06:01 AM
IMHO, the best 3 I've played with are ComeOnPhish, Dr_Gammon, and GusHansen14 (aka XXragedXX). Spyhard_spb would prolly be 4th on my list.

Jason Strasser
11-12-2004, 06:10 AM
come on phish is overrated IMO.

-Jason

I vote for Caufield as the best, although he's not a super regular.

Greg Zabawa
11-12-2004, 06:26 AM
You've probably seen me a lot, my name is gz37397, sometimes I blow up in SNGs, but for the most part I'm doing awesome. 3 months ago, I deposited $50 and have now built it up to $14,000. I am also #1 in Empire's tournament masters.

Gramps
11-12-2004, 06:29 AM
Wow, I've seen some pretty bad/tilting plays out of Gammon in the last couple of months. Every time he loses as a 3:2 favorite now he rants in chat, wouldn't be surprised if he's been losing a lot. Not sure about spyhard either, he seems to make more questionable plays on average than some of the other top players.

I'd put Gigabet on the list. But I imagine it's one of those things where whoever plays closest to your own style, you're prolly gonna pick.

Benholio
11-12-2004, 08:25 AM
So gz, YOU'RE the one who I can't catch up with! Oh well.. Guess there is only so much you can do playing $20's and $30's... Will have to settle for 2nd place. :P

Good luck in the WSOP seat tourney at the end of the month!

byronkincaid
11-12-2004, 08:45 AM
You're Saden? Man you must play a lot of tourneys.

bads33d
11-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Ill throw actionmonkey on there (lol)

vanhammersly was pretty good, he disappeared (changed screen names)

TheGremlin
11-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Hi greg ,

after u deposit 50 , what games you play ? and how much
you play every day ?

if u have a good method of handle time/money , I would like to know...

thanks,

stripsqueez
11-12-2004, 12:29 PM
of the guys i've seen more than 30-40 times gigabet and comeonphish look good to me

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

stupidsucker
11-12-2004, 01:38 PM
For some reason the 215s really scare me. I feel confident I could beat the 100s right this moment if I had the Bankroll for it, but not the 200s.

Ive only played about 5 games at the 200s, and to be honest the games I played seemed beatable for me, but I dont know if my heart can take the swings there. Something about the blind Struture at party with so many good players is frightening to me.

I guess with a good rakeback deal the 200s become much more worth it.

Greg Zabawa
11-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi gremlin, good question.

When I first started out, I tried low limit ring games and SNGs. I find ring games too slow for my tastes and that I am probably a better tourney player anyhow. So I would play 4 SNGs at a time. Of course I had to start at $5's. After I had built my account up to 130 or so, I moved up to 4 $10 SNGs at once and so on. So basically I just graduated from one level to the next when I felt comfortable and had a decent sized bankroll for the move.

No matter what the level, if I lose 8x the buy-in for a day, I'm done. So at the 10+1 level, if I lost $80 I waited until the next day. Just recently I had a run at the $200s of 4 straight days with at least $2000 profit. The next day I was down around $1600 pretty quickly and I just ended it, didn't try and win it all back. The next day I started out well with a fresh mindset.

Daliman
11-12-2004, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, the best 3 I've played with are ComeOnPhish, Dr_Gammon, and GusHansen14 (aka XXragedXX). Spyhard_spb would prolly be 4th on my list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comeonphish IS overrated. I'd say he makes $10-15 per at best.

Dr Gammon is right up there. Solid as they come, and crabs lots too( my god, he's ME!)

Gus-xxragedxx I haven't seen in a long while, but he WAS nothing special, just played lots and was better than average. He likely has improved, if he still plays.

Caufield-very good player, but play is sporadic. Also can fall for plays a bit too much.

Gigabet. Solid player, but too loose defending blinds late. Likes to makes an ugly big blind call or two just to scare people into not pushing vs him.

Spyhard- nothing special either. I put him just barely above comeonphish in skill. Wonder what's up with him always in the #7 seat, just as Gammon is 80% 2 seat/20% 3 seat, PokerAbos is always in the 10 seat, and badBoy4L is always in the 1 seat...

P.S. Modesty is not necessary here, ZJ. yer easily top 10, probably top 5. Since it isn't necessary, I put myself top 5 too. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

J.A.Sucker
11-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Dr Gammon, chip__ho, gigabet. In no particular order.

Sponger15SB
11-12-2004, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wonder what's up with him always in the #7 seat, just as Gammon is 80% 2 seat/20% 3 seat, PokerAbos is always in the 10 seat, and badBoy4L is always in the 1 seat...

[/ QUOTE ]

I await the day I can play in the $215's and pick my seat just to mess with your head.

Maybe you should start sitting in seat 2 or 3 just to throw off gammon?

Greg Zabawa
11-12-2004, 05:00 PM
What kind of returns are you fellas showing?

I first began playing $200s on November 2nd. Since then I've played in 300 of them with a profit of $6805. That means I'm making about $22.68 per SNG (even after you include the $15 rake). What returns are you guys showing?

ilya
11-12-2004, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I've seen some pretty bad/tilting plays out of Gammon in the last couple of months. Every time he loses as a 3:2 favorite now he rants in chat, wouldn't be surprised if he's been losing a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gammon was at my Super table last night.
He's average stack with about 4000, in the BB. CO minraises, folded to Gammon, Gammon makes a small re-raise. The CO calls. Flop comes A-high. Gammon bets, CO makes a substantial raise, Gammon calls. Turn is a blank. Gammon checks, CO bets 1000, half of Gammon's stack. Gammon flat-calls. River another blank, Gammon checks again, CO puts him all-in, Gammon calls with QQ. CO has AJ and Gammon is out. He starts raving about how "3-outers always hit" in the chat box.
Dude must be on serious perma-tilt.

Daliman
11-12-2004, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wonder what's up with him always in the #7 seat, just as Gammon is 80% 2 seat/20% 3 seat, PokerAbos is always in the 10 seat, and badBoy4L is always in the 1 seat...

[/ QUOTE ]

I await the day I can play in the $215's and pick my seat just to mess with your head.

Maybe you should start sitting in seat 2 or 3 just to throw off gammon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Done and done. used to do the 7 seat til i noticed the 2 or 3. Gam usually stays out of my tables anyways, unless its a fish farm.

P.S. Doesn't "mess with my head" at all. Just makes me wonder. I think it's superstitious, which I encourage.

Gramps
11-12-2004, 06:15 PM
These are exactly the type of hands I've seen out of him. Ones that leave you scratching you head, thinking "I thought this guy was really good, why the heck did he do that?" Followed by chat rant.

My guess is he hit a losing streak and hasn't dealt with it well - or else someone else is playing on the account.

Guess it can happen to just about anyone.

Gramps
11-12-2004, 06:21 PM
I like actionmonkey too (especially on the bubble), at least when he's not bored/drunk at 3 a.m. and open-pushing 1k in chips from MP at the 15/30 level...

Daliman
11-12-2004, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like actionmonkey too (especially on the bubble), at least when he's not bored/drunk at 3 a.m. and open-pushing 1k in chips from MP at the 15/30 level...

[/ QUOTE ]

P.S. the 1k push WAY too early is ALWAYS JJ, QQ, or AK. He's also mistermo, btw, if mistermo still plays.

Grivan
11-12-2004, 06:27 PM
I like how I don't show up on any lists...good :P

Anyways some insight into why people choose certain seats. I always sit in the 8 or 9 seat just because I find it easier to multitable if Im in the same area on every table. Since I am used to that area of the screen now that is where I sit...

Gramps
11-12-2004, 06:52 PM
He's mistermo? Yikes, that lowers my opinion of him. I once played with mistermo and he open-pushed A8o for 2k at the 50/100 level from MP, got called by a premium hand, and lost almost all of his chips. I have seen (what I thought was) very solid (and patient when appropriate) bubble play from actionmonkey a number of times though.

stripsqueez
11-12-2004, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wonder what's up with him always in the #7 seat

[/ QUOTE ]

i like the 7 seat - it has the best view

smudgex68
11-12-2004, 06:59 PM
Don't play the lower limits, usually £200+15 on crypto sites (it's a currency common in the UK).

Nitemare4 from Sweden lives up to his name - one of the best. Does anyone know of him or anything about him. I avoid him like the proverbial plague

Sponger15SB
11-12-2004, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... i wonder why that is /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Anyways some insight into why people choose certain seats. I always sit in the 8 or 9 seat just because I find it easier to multitable if Im in the same area on every table. Since I am used to that area of the screen now that is where I sit...

[/ QUOTE ]

I always like to sit in the corners so that it looks better while multitabling..... so I usually try and snag seats 2,4,7, and 9.

Grivan
11-12-2004, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... i wonder why that is /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know do you?

J.A.Sucker
11-12-2004, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What returns are you guys showing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Enough.

ZeeJustin
11-12-2004, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always like to sit in the corners so that it looks better while multitabling..... so I usually try and snag seats 2,4,7, and 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same, except with 8 tables the configuration is slightly different, but you get the idea.

Irieguy
11-12-2004, 09:03 PM
What's your monitor/site set-up for 8 tabling?

Irieguy

ZeeJustin
11-14-2004, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He's also mistermo, btw, if mistermo still plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure? They're both playing in the Party 200+15 saturday MTT right now.

Daliman
11-14-2004, 05:39 AM
Heard it from more than one person.

P.S. I also know a player who has already been mentioned in this thread who plays 2 different names at a time in multi's, so it's not out of the question.

ZeeJustin
11-14-2004, 05:02 PM
If you're referring to me, I only did that once /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ChrisV
11-14-2004, 09:39 PM
Gigabet also plays under imcastleman, from time to time at least. I saw him chatting to a friend once and he was 8-tabling with that nick at the time.

I was playing under SusanV for a while - what do you guys reckon? Am I terrible? /images/graemlins/smile.gif I've changed my nick now.

I have no idea why you'd put Dr_Gammon in a top players list, he isn't and never has been good.

stripsqueez
11-14-2004, 09:44 PM
i dont like playing against you chris - when the blinds get high i always figure your picking on my BB and i feel the need to teach you some respect - i think this is pretty much how you should want your opponents to feel

now i'm going to have to work out who you have become

Daliman
11-15-2004, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gigabet also plays under imcastleman, from time to time at least. I saw him chatting to a friend once and he was 8-tabling with that nick at the time.

I was playing under SusanV for a while - what do you guys reckon? Am I terrible? /images/graemlins/smile.gif I've changed my nick now.

I have no idea why you'd put Dr_Gammon in a top players list, he isn't and never has been good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if yer terrible or not, but your info is WAY off.

ZeeJustin
11-15-2004, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if yer terrible or not, but your info is WAY off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you said that, cuz I was thinking the same thing.

Schneids
11-15-2004, 02:58 AM
i have also had actionmonkey tell me he is mistermo.

Gramps
11-15-2004, 03:12 AM
I've noticed that Gigabet and SevnFigures are both from Waterloo (not exactly the poker captial of the world), and play similar styles...doesn't mean it's the same player, but I wouldn't be surprised. Don't know about the gender confusion though...

ChrisV
11-15-2004, 03:21 AM
Which info? The Gigabet/imcastleman thing? If I'm wrong about that it's because he was lying... he said (on a table before a tourney started, there were only about 4 of us there) that he was playing imcastleman as well.

Or the Dr_Gammon info?

J.A.Sucker
11-15-2004, 03:25 AM
They are brothers, apparently - I asked once. They play similarly, but gigabet is a better player all around. Both play well, though. They don't play at the same time, though.

imcastleman
11-15-2004, 03:46 AM
Yes, Gigabet and myself(SevnFigures and imcastleman) are brothers. We cannot play at the same table at the same time and we rarely play at the same time of the day. He does this for a living and I do it when I am not working. I would love to quit my job but I have a family and I can't assume that this extra income i receive from poker will be around forever. By the way, there was a time a few months ago when gig was 8-tabling under my username imcastleman and Gigabet. Hope this clears any misconceptions up.

Doug

p.s. I resent the fact that some think he is better than I, after all, I bankrolled him to get started and now he is clearing 20K+ a month. That's ridiculus!!!!(and unfair)

Daliman
11-15-2004, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Gigabet and myself(SevnFigures and imcastleman) are brothers. We cannot play at the same table at the same time and we rarely play at the same time of the day. He does this for a living and I do it when I am not working. I would love to quit my job but I have a family and I can't assume that this extra income i receive from poker will be around forever. By the way, there was a time a few months ago when gig was 8-tabling under my username imcastleman and Gigabet. Hope this clears any misconceptions up.

Doug

p.s. I resent the fact that some think he is better than I, after all, I bankrolled him to get started and now he is clearing 20K+ a month. That's ridiculus!!!!(and unfair)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hunh...I never knew all this time you were just Dicken around.

imcastleman
11-15-2004, 03:53 AM
That's quite the pun there, I hope most don't get it.....

MaGi
11-15-2004, 05:07 AM
Gammon? No, he's played pretty badly lately. I used to be quite regular, but then I went back to the 15/30 game and 10/20 (both 6-handed). getting back into it now again. I haven't seen gus very often, but I occasionally do see him at the 200 NL game, I don't play that too often either though. When I want to play NL its at Stars.

Who I really miss is stevesbets the moron, won a special and blew probably 10k within a few weeks (at the pace he was going)

WarDekar
11-15-2004, 05:25 AM
Did you see much improvement in play as you went up? I play $20+2s right now and do well (20% ROI after 100 tourneys or so). I play 4 at a time continuously for a couple hours every day, thinking about moving up (why not?).

AJo Go All In
11-15-2004, 06:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
vanhammersly was pretty good, he disappeared (changed screen names)

[/ QUOTE ]

disappeared. that's me, i got kind of burnt out on SNGs and have been playing cash game NL on stars recently, when i play.

Gigabet
11-17-2004, 11:00 AM
How did I not see this thread earlier in the week when I was at foxwoods getting busted? It would have given me quite the confidence boost I needed to win the main event, instead I go out like a fish.

All kidding aside, there is one name that I haven't heard yet, and I have a lot of respect for the way this guy plays. Even more so than Gammon(?), Phish(?), Spyhard_spb, and yes, even the talented and beautiful Sevnfigures. Itsthemaster. That guy just flat out never makes a mistake, he is tricky, aggressive, and doesn't tilt(too my knowledge). I suppose I could be way off here on a grander scale, but in all of my tourneys with itsthemaster, it just seems that he is only getting busted when he has way the best of it, and is constantly taking chips with no showdowns.

On a side note, I think it is funny that a lot of the players, who I assume are break even players playing for rakeback(I assume that, because they play a lot, so they clearly don't lose much), think that most of the names mentioned in this post are absolutely horrendous. Especially myself. Every tourney I play in, there is at least one comment about how bad I play, or how bad a certain play that I made is. You guys think that these break even players are on to something?

It is especially fun when actionmonkey(he is,without a doubt, the most hated player among this group) and myself are in the same room with a couple of these "break even" players. They have a conversation the whole tourney about how great our jobs must be to support such a poker habit, and how lucky we are when we double through the "fish" after moving in with any two cards.

After they see us get into the money time after time(him more than me), they eventually conclude that we are poker robots who can manipulate the software to our advantage.

Anyone need an Ace?

Klak
11-17-2004, 11:03 AM
hey where do you come from in iowa? im from Des Moines.

Gigabet
11-17-2004, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
P.S. the 1k push WAY too early is ALWAYS JJ, QQ, or AK. He's also mistermo, btw, if mistermo still plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm....I have called that open push in level 1 with AA on several occasions(interestingly enough, it always seems to be around 3:00am) and found myself staring at KJ, and I believe half of the time he beats my two Aces with that monster. I think he as an unusual fondness for KJ.

Phill S
11-17-2004, 11:11 AM
just out of interest, why no mention of frozen_fish?

Phill

Gigabet
11-17-2004, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hey where do you come from in iowa? im from Des Moines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waterloo

Desdia72
11-17-2004, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did I not see this thread earlier in the week when I was at foxwoods getting busted? It would have given me quite the confidence boost I needed to win the main event, instead I go out like a fish.

All kidding aside, there is one name that I haven't heard yet, and I have a lot of respect for the way this guy plays. Even more so than Gammon(?), Phish(?), Spyhard_spb, and yes, even the talented and beautiful Sevnfigures. Itsthemaster. That guy just flat out never makes a mistake, he is tricky, aggressive, and doesn't tilt(too my knowledge). I suppose I could be way off here on a grander scale, but in all of my tourneys with itsthemaster, it just seems that he is only getting busted when he has way the best of it, and is constantly taking chips with no showdowns.

On a side note, I think it is funny that a lot of the players, who I assume are break even players playing for rakeback(I assume that, because they play a lot, so they clearly don't lose much), think that most of the names mentioned in this post are absolutely horrendous. Especially myself. Every tourney I play in, there is at least one comment about how bad I play, or how bad a certain play that I made is. You guys think that these break even players are on to something?

It is especially fun when actionmonkey(he is,without a doubt, the most hated player among this group) and myself are in the same room with a couple of these "break even" players. They have a conversation the whole tourney about how great our jobs must be to support such a poker habit, and how lucky we are when we double through the "fish" after moving in with any two cards.

After they see us get into the money time after time(him more than me), they eventually conclude that we are poker robots who can manipulate the software to our advantage.

Anyone need an Ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

$215s, why don't you explain the nuiances, skill, and mathematics involved in mastering PPs quick blind level. i'm a low level ($5 + $.50) SNG player on Stars and i feel their slower blind levels and 1500 in starting chips have aided me in pouring a strong foundation toward becoming a winning player at higher levels down the line. however, i can't seem to get away from the fact that most players point out that you can make more MONEY at Party.

i've started back playing some of PPs play money NL SNGs to get used to their structure (i'ved finished in the top 3 about 70% of the ones i played). my question is, did you start out playing SNGs at Party? if so, did you naturally move up the SNG ladder ever time your BR got bigger? or were you already a decent player who started around the $20s or $30s? what are the mathematics involved in PP SNG strategy (such as coinflip races and advanced knowledge pot odds)? response appreciated.

Daliman
11-17-2004, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

Frozen's very good too. Hasn't been around much lately tho. Hope that doesn't mean anything....

Gigabet
11-17-2004, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$215s, why don't you explain the nuiances, skill, and mathematics involved in mastering PPs quick blind level

[/ QUOTE ]

My brother charged me 20,000 to learn, i will charge 30,000, since I am better than he is now. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eMarkM
11-17-2004, 01:38 PM
He changed his screen name. He made me promise not to tell what the new one is.

Daliman
11-17-2004, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He changed his screen name. He made me promise not to tell what the new one is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's good to know.

raptor517
11-17-2004, 03:03 PM
lately i have been seeing the_huncher quite a lot. i was talking to him and he said he was playing sngs for the month so that he could win a bet. usually he plays 15-30, so he says. i havent seen him much before this month. how do you all rate his play? i think he is pretty solid, and pushes his coinflips early a lot.

Sponger15SB
11-17-2004, 03:16 PM
hey des why are you still in the $5's after all this time?

serious question.

ZeeJustin
11-17-2004, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's good, but IMO not good neough to be on this list. I remember seeing some fundamental flaws in his play in the SNGS he posted on some website that you could playback.

adanthar
11-17-2004, 04:34 PM
He's had a negative ROI in three of the last four months.

Really.

Dallara
11-17-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's good, but IMO not good neough to be on this list. I remember seeing some fundamental flaws in his play in the SNGS he posted on some website that you could playback.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate at all? Not to bust on Frozen, but I watched some of his games and would be curious to know what you didn't like. I noticed he could be pretty passive in the SB, but nothing else really jumped out at me.

ThorGoT
11-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Adanthar --

Presumably if you wanted to elaborate, you would have (but could you say more?) - or is it possible that frozenfish himself might contribute to the discussion? I don't care about his screen name, but -- in the vein of previous posts by respected posters about moving down, etc. -- I feel like it would be a real contribution to the board to hear about difficulties at the $215 level.

citanul
11-17-2004, 06:06 PM
he was talking about des, not frozen.

Desdia72
11-17-2004, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Really.

[/ QUOTE ]

true and this was still after i transferred all the profit i had won under my girlfriend's username on PS over to my username on PS.

Desdia72
11-18-2004, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hey des why are you still in the $5's after all this time?

serious question.

[/ QUOTE ]

poker been good but mostly poker has been bad, especially lately (i don't post bad beat hands for nothing). i've been experiencing a very bad run under my username since around since around July this past summer. it seems no matter how well i feel i'm playing, the cards simply don't have it in for me to profit right now. i thought things had turned around in late September going into October because i was killing the $5 + $.50s (one and two table) SNGs on Stars under my girlfriend's username and then i won my 2nd ever satellite entry into the weekly $250,000 Guaranteed event. i then took the $215 tournament entry instead and transferred it over to my account to play more SNGs. to cut it short, my results started off from where they left off. it's a bummer to see you work so hard at something and have it seemingly blow up in your face time and time again, but it's poker. lately, i been playing micro limit ring games on PS with an occasional SNG and the play money SNGs on Party trying to get used to their format before in transfer any money from Neteller.

Phill S
11-18-2004, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Really.

[/ QUOTE ]

true and this was still after i transferred all the profit i had won under my girlfriend's username on PS over to my username on PS.

[/ QUOTE ]

negative ROI, in 5+0.5, on stars, the game that, for the record, you say has the best SnG set-up with least variance and most beatable - less of a crapshoot than party - at the lowest limit - against the worst players.

do you now see why all your bad-beat posts didnt help?

seriously, im sure there are peeps who would love to help you, post a tourney history or two. -ROI over the long(ish) term at this weak a level is indicative of a _lot_ of leaks

Phill

ChrisV
11-18-2004, 01:14 AM
Hi dude. I remember the first time I played you (nick = SusanV) you made some horrendous calldown vs me on an Axx hhh flop with KK no hearts (no, really). I immediately tagged you with a note. Then I kept seeing you in tourneys after that and I would sit to your left to take advantage of you.

It took about 10 tourneys before I realised that I should actually sit as far away as possible.

I think it's funny how hated actionmonkey is. I understand the hate as I've been on the receiving end of some of his hyper-aggression barrages before.

I'm a bit surprised he moneys more than you, though I would have expected him to land more 1sts.

toss
11-18-2004, 03:29 AM
Crazy I go watch some random PP 215 and see ZJustin and Giga at the same table.

Daliman
11-18-2004, 04:16 AM
yeah, I was probably there too. You'd know me by the ludicrous suckout followed by the incessant whining.

bads33d
11-18-2004, 05:58 AM
what about gamboholic_, it seems he's been killing it lately...

bads33d
11-18-2004, 10:21 AM
hey, just saw your post...

I remember I once playing with you and go_low, in a $215 sng, and you were watching some classic flick on tbs, and told us if we would put it on, you wouldnt steal 2 of our blinds (hehe)...

I remembered you told me, you already played 54 sng's that day up to that point, I would of been burnt out too...

Daliman
11-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Gamboholic is not good. Although I did play 45 minutes HU with him for 1 SNG win ( I lost allin PF ATs vs K7o....) his game is likely barely positive EV. Near as I can tell, the ONLY thing he has going for himself is aggressiveness.

The Yugoslavian
11-18-2004, 10:49 AM
I was watching those tables too last night! As soon as I logged on and saw you, Giga, and ZJ at the same table I definitely had to watch! (while I think watching was helpful I'm not sure how much of it translates to the 10/1 tables, /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Daliman: you had me up waaaay past my anticipated bedtime enjoying your rants and general table pessimism.

I definitely noticed that you, Giga and ZJ all either played good cards or waited until there were enough dead chips or the right opportunity to go allin. I was impressed at your patience (even though, as you mentioned, your opponents kept sucking out on you).

I do have to admit that it was fun to watch all of you guys right after reading this thread last night -- good times!
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Daliman
11-18-2004, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Daliman: you had me up waaaay past my anticipated bedtime enjoying your rants and general table pessimism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, -2300 in 18 tournaments, being 2/5 with AA or KK for thr night, losing to 2 or 3 outers 6 times on the river will do that to you, and happening to flop top pair best kicker versus KK or AA 3 times without ever sucking out will do that to you.

I'm getting back to the point where I'm not even sure if I can do this anymore... It's affecting my home life, my sleep, and my attitude in general. I work my butt of grinding up $7500, and lose 6300 of it in just 7 hours play....

The Yugoslavian
11-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Wow, yeah, those are tough swings. I always thought you're Hellmuthian behavior was more or less for effect and to take some of the edge off so you could go to your next SNG fresh.

I've watched quite a bit of your SNG play as you are on PP most of the time I'm on and interested in observing how the 'big boys' play. I think you are quite consistent -- this suprirsed me since I'd always see you ranting but then stick to good ABC poker in your other or next SNG (basically I didn't know it was starting to possibly make a more profound impact on your play). There has only been one SNG I've seen you in where I really thought you may have been just playing badly or with little confidence (you were HU and folding literally every hand until you were allin due to blinds but didn't seem to be disconnected). At the same time your timing looks good as you consistently either steal blinds or get your $$ in as a clear or decent favorite (and if you aren't a favorite it is almost always because of a small stack/big blind situation).

Do you feel your play may be affected to the point where you're not playing +EV, or is it that the stress of constant ups and downs just makes it that much harder to control tilt , letting it seep into and manifest itself in other areas of your life?

As you already know, the short term bad news is that you're getting sucked out on but the long term good news is that you're getting significant edges with your chips in the middle.

If encouragement from a lowly 10/1 player helps then I'm offering some up for you:

Keep your head in the game, perhaps read a few of the avoiding tilt and/or appreciating suckouts type posts, and possibly be patient not *always* 4 tabling if it means avoiding tables inhabited already by two other known 215 experts (Giga and ZJ).

Good luck. When it hits, all of the poker gods' transgressions can be forgiven, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Sponger15SB
11-18-2004, 01:24 PM
hey dali have you ever though about dropping down levels?

i mean if the $109's are 50% easier than you'd be better off saving your mind and not worrying so much about the varience.

no shame in slumming.

gergery
11-18-2004, 01:46 PM
What’s the scouting report on Hutatmeth, Crocofantos, and jsb2003?

Jason Strasser
11-18-2004, 02:20 PM
Hmm

Croco is, shall we say, a little aggressive with marginal hands at the wrong times?

***** Hand History for Game 1186305600 *****
15/30 TOURNEYTEXASHTGAMETABLE (NL) (TOURNAMENT 7233711) - TUE NOV 16 18:27:19 EST 2004
Table Table 12084 (Real Money) -- Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Skins04 (1015)
Seat 2: Homebody (1000)
Seat 3: a605296a (985)
Seat 4: mdpa17 (940)
Seat 5: scruffpuff (1055)
Seat 6: zaq24 (975)
Seat 7: bonzo63 (1000)
Seat 8: Crocofantos (1030)
Seat 9: strassa2 (1000)
Seat 10: maltek (1000)
Crocofantos posts small blind (10)
strassa2 posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to strassa2 [ 9s, 9d ]
maltek raises (30) to 30
Skins04 calls (30)
Homebody calls (30)
a605296a folds.
mdpa17 folds.
scruffpuff folds.
zaq24 folds.
bonzo63 folds.
Crocofantos calls (20)
strassa2 calls (15)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 9c, Qh, 8s ]
Crocofantos checks.
strassa2 bets (125)
maltek folds.
Skins04 folds.
Homebody folds.
Crocofantos calls (125)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 8h ]
Crocofantos checks.
strassa2 bets (275)
Crocofantos raises (875) to 875
Crocofantos is all-In.
strassa2 calls (570)
strassa2 is all-In.
** Dealing River ** : [ 8d ]
Creating Main Pot with $2090 with strassa2
Creating Side Pot 1 with $30 with Crocofantos
** Summary **
Main Pot: 2090 | Side Pot 1: 30
Board: [ 9c Qh 8s 8h 8d ]
Skins04 balance 985, lost 30 (folded)
Homebody balance 970, lost 30 (folded)
a605296a balance 985, didn't bet (folded)
mdpa17 balance 940, didn't bet (folded)
scruffpuff balance 1055, didn't bet (folded)
zaq24 balance 975, didn't bet (folded)
bonzo63 balance 1000, didn't bet (folded)
Crocofantos balance 30, bet 1030, collected 30, lost -1000 [ Th Kh ] [ three of a kind, eights -- Kh,Qh,8s,8h,8d ]
strassa2 balance 2090, bet 1000, collected 2090, net +1090 [ 9s 9d ] [ a full house, Nines full of eights -- 9s,9d,9c,8s,8h,8d ]
maltek balance 970, lost 30 (folded)

-Jason

Gigabet
11-18-2004, 02:58 PM
How can you call there? He could have rivered quads. You are so careless.

Chief911
11-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Just played one with gigabit. Tight. I aspire to be that tight. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gigabet
11-18-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just played one with gigabet. Tight. I aspire to be that tight.

[/ QUOTE ]
try a chastity belt, i hear that works.

Daliman
11-18-2004, 04:42 PM
About as "tilt" as I get is getting all my chips in in marginal situations; you will almost never see me make a flat-out terrible play. Typical of this kind of thing might be if I have ~1300 chips UTG 7 handed with AQs, raise to 300, and the button pushes on me. Usually, i just fold here and look for a better situation unless i know the guy is a weak play, but I've been calling it more often. Also, maybe the same situation with a small pocket pair that I'd usually fold I decide to push vs a raise to either steal or race. Seems like i'm in a footrace with a car all too often though.

As far as seeing me "blind off" HU, well, I must have had absolute crap for cards. I'm not going to push with 2 random cards if i know my opponent will call 75% of the time or more, I've gotta have some high card strength, a pair, or a decent suited connector. Nothing more frustrating than pushing with 84o and being called badly by 93o and losing to the high card...

P.S. Gig and ZJ were jumping MY tables most of the time last night. Oh well. We all know it's _ev to do, but as it turned out, I don't think ANY of us did well with it last night vs each other.

Daliman
11-18-2004, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hey dali have you ever though about dropping down levels?

i mean if the $109's are 50% easier than you'd be better off saving your mind and not worrying so much about the varience.

no shame in slumming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah, the shame, the shame.

It;s kinda like that scene in "casino" where the Asian whale has won 2 million dollars playing baccarat from the casino, then can't leave because his plane "broke down", so when he comes back to the casino, he plays for only 10k per hand so he doesn't lose his winnings rather than his standard 100K bet, but it just plays on his mind every hand he wins that he just "lost" 90k by not betting the same.

Gramps
11-18-2004, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gamboholic is not good. Although I did play 45 minutes HU with him for 1 SNG win ( I lost allin PF ATs vs K7o....) his game is likely barely positive EV. Near as I can tell, the ONLY thing he has going for himself is aggressiveness.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. Gamboholic seems to be running good, and he/she is very aggressive, but he/she makes a number of head-scratching plays, putting the whole stack of chips at risk early in marginal/coinflip type spots (among other things).

And the 4 or 5 times we've gone HU at the end, he/she actually becomes too passive, folding way too many hands in the SB. An odd combination indeed.

I would also guess that Gamboholic is break even or barely +EV in the long run.

Gramps
11-18-2004, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just played one with gigabit. Tight. I aspire to be that tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only the (slightly) older chicks still hitting the bar scene had those same aspirations...

The Yugoslavian
11-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Well, I hope you start winning the races a bit more and only have to complain a fraction of the time that you do now, /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

ZJ was doing fairly well on the tables of his I was watching. Frankly, this is the first time I've had a chance to watch him in action (he folds with the best of them!). He was making what seemed to be strong plays and also had the relative fortune of not being sucked out on. Of course, I only watched like 5 or 6 of the tables he played.

The most interesting I've found watching the stronger 215 players is that I see very little tilt, indecision (seem to already know what will be played before the situation arises), or plays that are incorrect on further review. And few of you seem afraid to push what may be small(ish) edges when given the opportunity (ZJ definitely seemed to be doing this in the small sample of play I saw).

At first when I saw you, Gigabet and ZeeJustin all at one table I thought there must be some sort of impromptu 2+2 SNG Title Belt tournament going on. I think ZJ lasted the longest on that table for what it's worth -- Gigabet was out first (supertight my ass, /images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

Daliman
11-18-2004, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And the 4 or 5 times we've gone HU at the end, he/she actually becomes too passive, folding way too many hands in the SB. An odd combination indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

God yes. Thus, the 45 minute HU match.

raptor517
11-18-2004, 07:06 PM
i think i may be able to explain the way that gamboholic plays. he is playing primarily for tournament leaderboard points right now, and that is why you see him pushing those coinflips and marginal situations. If he thinks he is in a race, he will not be afraid to get his chips in, every single time. he will be super agressive on the bubble and with 3 people, as he needs to make the top 2 to get leaderboard points. i cant explain his heads up play, i have only played against him one time. however, as to the reason he seems hyper agressive, the leaderboard explanation seems to make sense.

Daliman
11-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Ah, that must have been the one were gig from the 9 seat put a move on a fish that was WAY over fishie's head, check-raising allin with JJ with a K on board on the turn, getting called by KT. I don't make these kinds of move for this very reason; why reward a fish for being too dumb to fold top/mid?

I also seem to remember being in the 2 seat, ZJ was around the 7 and got shortstacked by AQs vs AJ river loss, followed shortly thereafter by A7 losing to BB's T6;(or something like that.

Gigabet
11-18-2004, 07:16 PM
why on earth would he care about the leaderboard points?

bads33d
11-18-2004, 07:49 PM
ok, I just saw itsthemaster, here are his two last hands in a $215 sng...

***** Hand History for Game 1194046215 *****
200/400 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 7277821) - Thu Nov 18 18:38:15 EST 2004
Table Table 11131 (Real Money) -- Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: itsthemaster (2465)
Seat 5: bobbyb21 (1875)
Seat 6: Gosuchild (475)
Seat 7: sheckler (995)
Seat 8: aks47 (1550)
Seat 10: jessefjames1 (2640)
Gosuchild posts small blind (100)
sheckler posts big blind (200)
** Dealing down cards **
aks47 raises (400) to 400
jessefjames1 folds.
itsthemaster raises (800) to 800
bobbyb21 folds.
Gosuchild folds.
sheckler folds.
aks47 raises (1150) to 1550
aks47 is all-In.
itsthemaster calls (750)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 9h, 4s, 9c ]
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 3d ]
** Dealing River ** : [ Jc ]
Creating Main Pot with $3400 with aks47
** Summary **
Main Pot: 3400 |
Board: [ 9h 4s 9c 3d Jc ]
itsthemaster balance 915, lost 1550 [ Qh Ad ] [ a pair of nines -- Ad,Qh,Jc,9h,9c ]
bobbyb21 balance 1875, didn't bet (folded)
Gosuchild balance 375, lost 100 (folded)
sheckler balance 795, lost 200 (folded)
aks47 balance 3400, bet 1550, collected 3400, net +1850 [ Kd Kc ] [ two pairs, kings and nines -- Kd,Kc,Jc,9h,9c ]
jessefjames1 balance 2640, didn't bet (folded)

***** Hand History for Game 1194048971 *****
200/400 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 7277821) - Thu Nov 18 18:38:59 EST 2004
Table Table 11131 (Real Money) -- Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: itsthemaster (915)
Seat 5: bobbyb21 (1875)
Seat 6: Gosuchild (375)
Seat 7: sheckler (795)
Seat 8: aks47 (3400)
Seat 10: jessefjames1 (2640)
sheckler posts small blind (100)
aks47 posts big blind (200)
** Dealing down cards **
jessefjames1 folds.
itsthemaster raises (915) to 915
itsthemaster is all-In.
bobbyb21 folds.
Gosuchild calls (375)
Gosuchild is all-In.
sheckler folds.
aks47 calls (715)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 9h, 7h, 3d ]
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 4h ]
** Dealing River ** : [ 6s ]
Creating Main Pot with $1225 with Gosuchild
Creating Side Pot 1 with $1080 with itsthemaster
** Summary **
Main Pot: 1225 | Side Pot 1: 1080 |
Board: [ 9h 7h 3d 4h 6s ]
itsthemaster balance 0, lost 915 [ Kh Qd ] [ high card king -- Kh,Qd,9h,7h,6s ]
bobbyb21 balance 1875, didn't bet (folded)
Gosuchild balance 1225, bet 375, collected 1225, net +850 [ Ad Ah ] [ a pair of aces -- Ad,Ah,9h,7h,6s ]
sheckler balance 695, lost 100 (folded)
aks47 balance 3565, bet 915, collected 1080, net +165 [ Ac Jd ] [ high card ace -- Ac,Jd,9h,7h,6s ]
jessefjames1 balance 2640, didn't bet (folded)

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone need an Ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

raptor517
11-18-2004, 07:53 PM
heads up match at the end of the week?

citanul
11-18-2004, 08:07 PM
what is it, a free grand or something? you've got to be kidding. that's not really that much money. no one would play the 215s just to get the points. you've got to ALSO think you've got an edge on the game.

you're really grasping at straws here, in terms of rationalizing his play. your post said "i know why" he plays this way. that would kind of imply that you had asked him, or something. instead your post was "i have an ass backward reason that a retard could have for playing in this fashion."

citanul

ps: if the match was for say, 5k at the end of the week, one might alter their play in order to try to get more points, but as it is, you get points for top two, which means you have to do decently. if he's trying to get top two a lot, his best strategy would be to play well. not strangely.

bads33d
11-18-2004, 08:11 PM
from what i've seen he makes the money a lot...

and is usually in good chip position when he's in the final two...

I say the leaderpoints points is not the reason, and just to make money.

He's also a good multi table player, and won a set to the party poker million in those deep 1500-2000 people fields...

And got close in like 3 other ones...

Ryendal
11-18-2004, 08:19 PM
And what do you think about The_Huncher ?

J.A.Sucker
11-18-2004, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why reward a fish for being too dumb to fold top/mid

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny in a SNG tournament. I hope you see why.

Daliman
11-18-2004, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why reward a fish for being too dumb to fold top/mid

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny in a SNG tournament. I hope you see why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. But at the 15-30 level with >250 in the pot, after betting 100 yourself, getting check-raised all in on the turn will have me folding 9 times out of ten, and you too.

Now, if were talking 50-100 or so, them's the breaks.

Miamipuck
11-19-2004, 02:26 AM
What's with you 215'ers? In the last week I have seen Spyhard on the 30's and then tonight I was in a 20 with ComeonPhish. He lasted a whole hand too. LMAO

I asked what the hell he was doing in a 20. He said, "having fun". His "fun" lasted exactly three seconds. It was funny as shiat actually.

Here is the First Hand of the tournament:

(BTW The converter is down)

***** Hand History for Game 1194231831 *****
15/30 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 7279720) - Thu Nov 18 19:27:23 EST 2004
Table Table 14012 (Real Money) -- Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Miamipuck (800)
Seat 2: benthehen15 (800)
Seat 3: luuluu52 (800)
Seat 4: edunluck (800)
Seat 5: AirDonkey (800)
Seat 6: Joefx21 (800)
Seat 7: cubsfan1999 (800)
Seat 8: sweetsue1011 (800)
Seat 9: Come0nPhish (800)
Seat 10: cdubbya (800)
Joefx21 posts small blind (10)
cubsfan1999 posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Miamipuck [ Js, 7s ]
sweetsue1011 folds.
Come0nPhish calls (15)
cdubbya calls (15)
Miamipuck folds.
benthehen15 raises (60) to 60
luuluu52 folds.
edunluck folds.
AirDonkey folds.
Joefx21 calls (50)
cubsfan1999 folds.
Miamipuck: what the hell are you doing on a 20 phish?
Come0nPhish raises (785) to 800
Come0nPhish is all-In.
cdubbya folds.
Come0nPhish: having fun
Miamipuck: phishing?
benthehen15 calls (740)
benthehen15 is all-In.
Joefx21 folds.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 5d, Jd, 7c ]
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 3h ]
** Dealing River ** : [ 4d ]
Creating Main Pot with $1690 with benthehen15,Come0nPhish
** Summary **
Main Pot: 1690
Board: [ 5d Jd 7c 3h 4d ]
Miamipuck balance 800, didn't bet (folded)
benthehen15 balance 1690, bet 800, collected 1690, net +890 [ As Ad ] [ a pair of aces -- As,Ad,Jd,7c,5d ]
luuluu52 balance 800, didn't bet (folded)
edunluck balance 800, didn't bet (folded)
AirDonkey balance 800, didn't bet (folded)
Joefx21 balance 740, lost 60 (folded)
cubsfan1999 balance 785, lost 15 (folded)
sweetsue1011 balance 800, didn't bet (folded)
Come0nPhish balance 0, lost 800 [ Ah Kc ] [ high card ace -- Ah,Kc,Jd,7c,5d ]
cdubbya balance 785, lost 15 (folded)

stupidsucker
11-19-2004, 04:35 AM
his move with AK wasnt all that bad here. I wouldnt do it, but how often do you really run into AA here?

AJo Go All In
11-19-2004, 09:56 AM
i remember, was it stripes?

Desdia72
11-19-2004, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Really.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

negative ROI, in 5+0.5, on stars, the game that, for the record, you say has the best SnG set-up with least variance and most beatable - less of a crapshoot than party - at the lowest limit - against the worst players.

do you now see why all your bad-beat posts didnt help?

seriously, im sure there are peeps who would love to help you, post a tourney history or two. -ROI over the long(ish) term at this weak a level is indicative of a _lot_ of leaks

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

my last three SNGs, i suffered huge river beats with J J vs A 9o (went out in 3rd on a two table), A Qo vs K 3o, and
A A vs J 3-suited /images/graemlins/heart.gif (reraise all-in preflop and the guy was dealt seven to Jack straight on the river which left me with only 100 in chips). most of the hands i post involve river beats with the best hand, which i'm either has me getting busted out of a SNG or leaving me so severly shortstacked that i would basically have to rely on luck to win. i even posted results from three SNGs where i lost all three (IN A ROW) on two consecutive hands (all with the best hand). do i expect sympathy? no. however, know what you talking about when you say i have major leaks. i also don't play as many SNGs as most posters do so a bad streak over three months for me is like -$50 to -$100 over 150 SNGs (this also includes withdrawals).

Miamipuck
11-19-2004, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
his move with AK wasnt all that bad here. I wouldnt do it, but how often do you really run into AA here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just posted it not because it was funny how a noted 215'er was knocked out of a 22 tourny, but that it is absolutely hilarious it was the first hand.

My commentary:

For 10/15 blinds and a moderate re-raise, all-in is not a very good play at all. Why risk your whole tourny, first hand, on a drawing hand? IMHO

That being said I have done this too, when I first started. Recently I have laid it down first hand. I raised in front of two limpers to 100. Button goes all-in, SB folds, BB all in, and UTG who limped went all-in. I was happy to lose 100 chips in that scenario. BTW A-Q won. The other two had j-j and K-K. The board was A-2-3-Q-8. So I would have lost too.

Desdia72
11-19-2004, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

had i made this move, that would constitute a major leak in my game.

Desdia72
11-19-2004, 09:23 PM
make that a 4th SNG with K K vs 6 6 where my opponent was dealt a six to ten straight.

Phill S
11-19-2004, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no

being unable to accept your a bad player at best is your biggest leak.

even you accept they are river beats. who cares, it happens. we've all lost holding KK v AJ, AA v 22, etc etc. if people wanted to see bad beats, they wouldnt come to this board. theyd play a few games and see them all the time.

-----------------

i believe that poker, as in all things, can be learnt from anyone - to a point. im sure most of you americans played baseball as kids. maybe some of you were good. you will have learnt the game to the point where you could not improve any more. this is why you arent pro baseball players in the majors.

as poker players we all started badly. some more badly than others. however simply by coming here or reading a 2+2 book we improved. some are great, playing in the major leagues of poker (being a $200+15 thread this is evidence enough). however many of us will find a limit to our play. we cant handle the swings, cant get over the idea of playing with large sums of money. jason strassa posts many times how he pushes preflop junk on the bubble as a bluff. i can do it in the 10 and 20 games, i dont think i could do it at the 200s (not now certainly).

however another limit is the limit of learning. why are fish fish? its cos they dont _want_ to put in the effort to get better. they put in 100 dollars every few weeks and blow it over a few hours.

why are we here? to get better. but some will only get better to a point. im crap at math. this is my problem with learning, i get the theory behind ICM, but cant apply it in a game environment. some may struggle cos they cant handle the shift from full game to heads up.

however some are like you dedia. they cant handle that beats happen. you wont improve, because you cant handle the concept that you can play an _entire_ game perfectly. making the right play on the bubble, and go home 4th.

can you overcome this, perhaps. do i need to read the fact you get bad beats, no. here is a tip for you. you have over 800 posts since coming here. i dont know how many youve posted in 3 months. however youve played 150 SnGs in this time. this may very well be why you dont see the big picture. you havent even gone to the art gallery where they have big pictures.

"time does not bring about wisdom. only learning brings about wisdom, time merely gives you more opportunity to learn"

Phill

Desdia72
11-19-2004, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no

being unable to accept your a bad player at best is your biggest leak.

even you accept they are river beats. who cares, it happens. we've all lost holding KK v AJ, AA v 22, etc etc. if people wanted to see bad beats, they wouldnt come to this board. theyd play a few games and see them all the time.

-----------------

i believe that poker, as in all things, can be learnt from anyone - to a point. im sure most of you americans played baseball as kids. maybe some of you were good. you will have learnt the game to the point where you could not improve any more. this is why you arent pro baseball players in the majors.

as poker players we all started badly. some more badly than others. however simply by coming here or reading a 2+2 book we improved. some are great, playing in the major leagues of poker (being a $200+15 thread this is evidence enough). however many of us will find a limit to our play. we cant handle the swings, cant get over the idea of playing with large sums of money. jason strassa posts many times how he pushes preflop junk on the bubble as a bluff. i can do it in the 10 and 20 games, i dont think i could do it at the 200s (not now certainly).

however another limit is the limit of learning. why are fish fish? its cos they dont _want_ to put in the effort to get better. they put in 100 dollars every few weeks and blow it over a few hours.

why are we here? to get better. but some will only get better to a point. im crap at math. this is my problem with learning, i get the theory behind ICM, but cant apply it in a game environment. some may struggle cos they cant handle the shift from full game to heads up.

however some are like you dedia. they cant handle that beats happen. you wont improve, because you cant handle the concept that you can play an _entire_ game perfectly. making the right play on the bubble, and go home 4th.

can you overcome this, perhaps. do i need to read the fact you get bad beats, no. here is a tip for you. you have over 800 posts since coming here. i dont know how many youve posted in 3 months. however youve played 150 SnGs in this time. this may very well be why you dont see the big picture. you havent even gone to the art gallery where they have big pictures.

"time does not bring about wisdom. only learning brings about wisdom, time merely gives you more opportunity to learn"

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

here we again. my problem is'nt being able to accept bad beats. my problem is someone like you associating those bad beats with with leaks in my game as if it's a truth. had i been on the giving end and won all of those beats with dominated hands, would you still say i had a major leak in my game? do you think because i've had a three month bad streak under my username that that some how makes me a bad player? in late September going into October, i won about $365 playing $5 + $.50 SNGs (when you include about $175 from the $215 Tournament Dollars i won from the $3 Rebuy Satellite [500+ players]) under my girlfriend username.

Daliman lost a whole lot more money than me playing NL ring games and $215 SNGs. so should he accept the that as a fact that he's a bad player and not being able to "accept" being that bad player constitutes a major leak in his game?

if i posted that i push with junk on the bubble in a $5 + $.50 SNG with the same deductive reasoning as strasser, does that somehow make me a better player with minor leaks? does the fact that strasser can push with junk on the bubble in a $215 make you wanna go out and purchase "Play Party SNGs Like Jason Strasser" and await his book signing at Borders. obviously, strasser pushing with junk on the bubble (whether he wins or loses) must be special enough to not constitute a leak at all to you. i guess because he's a $215 SNG player, it makes you feels all warm and gooey inside knowing that you've thought about doing what's he's already done.

i can understand and accept the concept of playing a game perfectly and still losing on the bubble in 4th, it's happened plenty of times. I DON'T LIKE playing a game perfectly and still losing on the bubble. there's a big difference between understanding and acceptance of beats(as a part of the game) and not liking have them happen. that does'nt make me a bad player, that makes me human.

lastly, i've played more than 150 SNGs in 8 months. i was only speaking of over the last 3 months under my username. i've played and done very well lately under my girlfriend's username in the last month and a half.

A J Carisse
11-20-2004, 12:37 AM
if you're looking for stevesbets he's very active at Stars at the 5k HU SNG's. I've watched him play and he doesn't impress me at all. In fact the play at these, during the ones I've scouted, is nowhere near the caliber I expected, is what's got me so interested in HU tourneys now. I'm nowhere near comfortable with my game to play the 5k's though, but I plan on working on it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A.J.

stupidsucker
11-20-2004, 01:27 AM
Ive never been quoted so much.
/sob

I feel all tingly!

It looks to me like he was trying to run over the table. This works sometimes in SnGs if you know what you ar doing. A lot of early exits, not great ITM, but 1sts places should make up for it (if you know what you are doing, and can deal with the higher swing ratio)

Personally, I dont like the move, but at a $22, I expect AT-AQ to call me.

Miamipuck
11-20-2004, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i can understand and accept the concept of playing a game perfectly and still losing on the bubble in 4th, it's happened plenty of times. I DON'T LIKE playing a game perfectly and still losing on the bubble. there's a big difference between understanding and acceptance of beats(as a part of the game) and not liking have them happen. that does'nt make me a bad player, that makes me human.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny Howard Lederer says he has never played a perfect round of poker, yet you have. Good Job.

I do not know what your posts and the subsequent flame jobs have anything to do with the spirit of the thread....... ie who are the best 215'ers here .

adanthar
11-20-2004, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Since 10/1, I've played 166 tournaments, including 104 50+5 SNG's. I've lost to 60/40 or worse shots in 36 (just the ones the beat took me completely out of) and 3:1 or worse in about 25 of those. My ROI in that 104 tournament span is 35%.

This is at the 50+5 level. At the $5 level, a monkey following Aleomagus' guide could make a profit over any given 100 SNG stretch, bad beats or no bad beats.

In fact, I'll make you a challenge. I currently have exactly $10 in my Stars account. If you can post any two SNG hand histories in which you lasted to 4 handed or later, that lasted at least 50 hands, and that you played perfectly (perfectly as defined by majority opinion in the thread you post them in), whether you won or not, you can have the 10 bucks.

I am very confident that I won't have to pay out.

Desdia72
11-20-2004, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Since 10/1, I've played 166 tournaments, including 104 50+5 SNG's. I've lost to 60/40 or worse shots in 36 (just the ones the beat took me completely out of) and 3:1 or worse in about 25 of those. My ROI in that 104 tournament span is 35%.

This is at the 50+5 level. At the $5 level, a monkey following Aleomagus' guide could make a profit over any given 100 SNG stretch, bad beats or no bad beats.

In fact, I'll make you a challenge. I currently have exactly $10 in my Stars account. If you can post any two SNG hand histories in which you lasted to 4 handed or later, that lasted at least 50 hands, and that you played perfectly (perfectly as defined by majority opinion in the thread you post them in), whether you won or not, you can have the 10 bucks.

I am very confident that I won't have to pay out.

[/ QUOTE ]

so in other words, you did fairly well in half the SNGs you played and the other half you did'nt cash? is what you posted supposed to be earth-shattering?

only $10 bucks? you can keep your money, i'll be ok.

and let me take that back, i should'nt say played PERFECTLY. but i have played SNGs where i won ever hand accept one, that being the very hand i lost on (and the majority of the time, it was with the best hand that got sucked out on).

i'm confident that wager is'nt worth my time.

*people seem to keep forgeting that i've also stated that i've withdrew profits*

Desdia72
11-20-2004, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny Howard Lederer says he has never played a perfect round of poker, yet you have. Good Job.

I do not know what your posts and the subsequent flame jobs have anything to do with the spirit of the thread....... ie who are the best 215'ers here .

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you should ask Phil. earlier in the thread, Sponger ask me a serious question to which i gave him a serious answer. the Phil comes in all cocksure taking the convo into a new direction about "accepting the fact that i am a bad player" and "some people are'nt meant to be but so good" and "you have major leaks" blah-blah.

Miamipuck
11-20-2004, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

maybe you should ask Phil. earlier in the thread, Sponger ask me a serious question to which i gave him a serious answer. the Phil comes in all cocksure taking the convo into a new direction about "accepting the fact that i am a bad player" and "some people are'nt meant to be but so good" and "you have major leaks" blah-blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phuck'en Ignore him! His post made 0 sense.

adanthar
11-20-2004, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and let me take that back, i should'nt say played PERFECTLY. but i have played SNGs where i won ever hand accept one, that being the very hand i lost on (and the majority of the time, it was with the best hand that got sucked out on).

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me repeat myself: I got sucked out on as a 65% or better favorite in 1/3 of the tournaments I played (wow, how about that) yet my ROI over that span is 35%.

At the $5 level, I could spot you $275 over 50 tourneys (that is, busting out ninth in every single one) and probably still break even in the other 50. Like I said, a monkey following Aleo's guide can post a way positive ROI there. The fact that you can't has nothing to do with you being sucked out on. 150 tourneys at the $5 limit, which anyone who's read a poker book can crush, is statistically significant enough so that your bad beats are no excuse.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With a negative ROI, I'd expect *any* wager to be worth your time, especially one that has a chance to improve said ROI...

viennagreen
11-20-2004, 03:16 AM
I suppose that if you don't play very much, a streak of bad luck can last a few months---

However--- concentrating on hands you lost where you wouldn't/couldn't have played them differently (aka "bad beats" or bad timing, KK vs. AA) does nothing to improve your game...

In order to improve, you need to start looking for regions of your game that need improvement. Concentrate on remembering the times you got burned after falling in love with the flop, the times when you didn't let go of second pair, the value bets you missed on the river, etc....

It really goes back to my replies to your bad beat posts-- you won't be a good player if you can't forget about the times you got unlucky... because obviously all the "unlucky" times are clouding up your "poor play" and "out-played" memories.

So yes--- a few months of bad luck is possible if you only play a few SNGs a week... but I think what is actually happening is that you are only remembering the bad luck, and it's crippling your chances of improvement.

bads33d
11-20-2004, 06:10 AM
yeah, that was it...

do you still ever play on party poker?

[ QUOTE ]
i remember, was it stripes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Desdia72
11-20-2004, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me repeat myself: I got sucked out on as a 65% or better favorite in 1/3 of the tournaments I played (wow, how about that) yet my ROI over that span is 35%.

At the $5 level, I could spot you $275 over 50 tourneys (that is, busting out ninth in every single one) and probably still break even in the other 50. Like I said, a monkey following Aleo's guide can post a way positive ROI there. The fact that you can't has nothing to do with you being sucked out on. 150 tourneys at the $5 limit, which anyone who's read a poker book can crush, is statistically significant enough so that your bad beats are no excuse.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With a negative ROI, I'd expect *any* wager to be worth your time, especially one that has a chance to improve said ROI...

[/ QUOTE ]

how about you put up more money then.

...oh, and take the word perfect out of the equation.

citanul
11-20-2004, 03:57 PM
As another poster politely asked, could we please drop the whole bashing Desdia thing and get back to talking about:

a) who are the best $215 players
and
b) what makes them that good

I know I've been guilty of bashing Desdia previously, but I'd like to think that I've kept that to the non-strategy forums, not that it makes it completely better. In the future, I think that stupid posts such as "Hey Des, I'll give you $10 if you do ..." should probably be relegated to PMs, since well, there's no reason that the rest of the forum needs to be privy to or bothered by such garbage.

Personally, I've been impressed by the play of (players already mentioned in this thread and) gobbles. Homey plays scary tight. Though I can't say I've played a huge amount of the 215s, and it could of course be small sample sized related and all that, but my impression was good when I played with him.

I think I've not played much with a lot of the top people because well, I duck them. I'm here to make money and there's more tournaments starting soon. So I don't play when I see Jason, Daliman, Gigabet, or a2398723495q8153a or whatever his name is sitting there, and there's a few more too.

Then again, now that Giga's changed his name, I've probably played with him and not known.

citanul

Desdia72
11-20-2004, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As another poster politely asked, could we please drop the whole bashing Desdia thing and get back to talking about:

a) who are the best $215 players
and
b) what makes them that good

I know I've been guilty of bashing Desdia previously, but I'd like to think that I've kept that to the non-strategy forums, not that it makes it completely better. In the future, I think that stupid posts such as "Hey Des, I'll give you $10 if you do ..." should probably be relegated to PMs, since well, there's no reason that the rest of the forum needs to be privy to or bothered by such garbage.

Personally, I've been impressed by the play of (players already mentioned in this thread and) gobbles. Homey plays scary tight. Though I can't say I've played a huge amount of the 215s, and it could of course be small sample sized related and all that, but my impression was good when I played with him.

I think I've not played much with a lot of the top people because well, I duck them. I'm here to make money and there's more tournaments starting soon. So I don't play when I see Jason, Daliman, Gigabet, or a2398723495q8153a or whatever his name is sitting there, and there's a few more too.

Then again, now that Giga's changed his name, I've probably played with him and not known.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

well put, citanul. this thread was'nt even about me. Damn that Sponger for asking me a serious question. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ryendal
11-21-2004, 09:38 PM
So ?

Gramps
11-21-2004, 09:57 PM
If you're asking me...I haven't noticed much from Huncher, even though my Pokertracker shows I've played against him 28 times this month. I probably had some notes, but I brilliantly deleted all of my Party notes when switching to Empire, before I could load them into my Pokertracker.

Probably just means I haven't noticed any bad/odd plays. Looks like he plays pretty tight early on as one should in the Party format.

ZebraAss
11-22-2004, 07:00 AM
i dont know if this is still about mistermo...or anyone has said this yet..but he told me and a few other people that he had a break down and was in the hospital for a while. Thats probabally why he has been kind of out of his game lately.

d1sterbd
12-30-2004, 09:03 AM
ComeOnPhish hand in a 30+3 early this morning on Party. He must not be playing as well lately.

***** Hand History for Game 1366756192 *****
NL Hold'em $30 Buy-in + $3 Entry Fee Trny:8263527 Level:1 Blinds(10/15) - Thursday, December 30, 07:16:10 EDT 2004
Table Table 11107 (Real Money)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: Tilesy123 ( $735 )
Seat 2: rocket_ron2 ( $670 )
Seat 3: UCLAbruins13 ( $755 )
Seat 5: johnny_tran ( $1545 )
Seat 9: d1sterbd ( $665 )
Seat 10: Teflon_57 ( $770 )
Seat 8: Come0nPhish ( $770 )
Seat 4: SmurphS ( $1165 )
Seat 7: peterheden ( $925 )
Trny:8263527 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to d1sterbd [ 3d 8d ]
Tilesy123 could not respond in time.(disconnected)
Tilesy123 folds.
rocket_ron2 calls [15].
UCLAbruins13 folds.
SmurphS folds.
johnny_tran raises [50].
peterheden calls [50].
Come0nPhish calls [50].
d1sterbd folds.
Teflon_57 folds.
rocket_ron2 calls [35].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2s, 3s, Kh ]
rocket_ron2 bets [75].
johnny_tran folds.
peterheden folds.
Come0nPhish raises [300].
rocket_ron2 is all-In [545]
Come0nPhish calls [320].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Jh ]
** Dealing River ** [ Tc ]
Come0nPhish shows [ Ts, As ] a pair of tens.
rocket_ron2 shows [ Kd, Jc ] two pairs, kings and jacks.
rocket_ron2 wins 1465 chips from the main pot with two pairs, kings and jacks.

ChrisV
12-30-2004, 09:46 AM
That's Come0nPhish, with a zero, a copycat name.

You won't see the real ComeOnPhish playing 30's.

d1sterbd
12-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Sorry about that. I looked back forth a few times to make sure it was the same and still missed it.

-d1sterbd