PDA

View Full Version : Find no. of mistakes

granny50
11-12-2004, 03:46 AM
Typical party table. MP2 is a huge fish, will call with any draw. Saw him call a flop bet with just 2 overs which he hit and then bet and still got raised and paid off a set. So if he calls a huge bet, he has a draw. UTG seems decent enough - but prone to tilt.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed)

Button ($164.75)
SB ($131.64)
BB ($170.8)
UTG ($151.23)
UTG+1 ($101)
MP1 ($151.6)
MP2 ($216.45)
MP3 ($88)
Hero ($108.95)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $2, MP2 calls $2, MP3 calls $2, Hero calls $2, Button folds, SB (poster) folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($13) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $15</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $15, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $60</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $45, MP2 calls $45.

Turn: ($193) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($193) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets $50</font>, Hero folds, UTG calls $50.

Final Pot: $293

<font color="green"> Final question: </font>
How many mistakes can you count? Who made the biggest mistake and who made the most number of mistakes?

SmileyEH
11-12-2004, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
. MP2 is a huge fish, will call with any draw. Saw him call a flop bet with just 2 overs which he hit and then bet and still got raised and paid off a set

[/ QUOTE ]

Push the flop.

-SmileyEH

LokiV
11-12-2004, 04:56 AM
Is 'drawing to a pair' really considered a draw? Oi, the agony.

granny50
11-12-2004, 05:08 AM
UTG has JTo. The fishy players hand is not very hard to narrow down.

Tilt
11-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Ok I'll try your quiz.

Mistakes:

Hero: Flop bet is not big enough to scare off the draw. No preflop raise keeps JT and other marginal hands in the pot for cheap. WIth position I'd like a raise here. Otherwise played fine.

UTG: His big mistake is not pushing after your raise on the flop. His second mistake is calling the fish at the river - with a good read I wouldn't call, but its an arguable mistake given the pot.

Fish: Calling the first flop bet is his first mistake. Checking the turn was his biggest mistake, as it gave hero the draw to the full boat for free.

How did I do?

schwza
11-12-2004, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. MP2 is a huge fish, will call with any draw. Saw him call a flop bet with just 2 overs which he hit and then bet and still got raised and paid off a set

[/ QUOTE ]

Push the flop.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

i probably would have played it as hero did, but i like this line a lot better. there are a jillion cards you don't want to see on the turn, and a push now looks more like a semi-bluff with one of the many draws that are out.

meow_meow
11-12-2004, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok I'll try your quiz.

Mistakes:

Hero: Flop bet is not big enough to scare off the draw. No preflop raise keeps JT and other marginal hands in the pot for cheap. WIth position I'd like a raise here. Otherwise played fine.

UTG: His big mistake is not pushing after your raise on the flop. His second mistake is calling the fish at the river - with a good read I wouldn't call, but its an arguable mistake given the pot.

Fish: Calling the first flop bet is his first mistake. Checking the turn was his biggest mistake, as it gave hero the draw to the full boat for free.

How did I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously think it was a mistake for UTG to call a river bet getting almost 5:1 when the only thing that beats him is a flush and there are two one card straight possibilities?

That is giving up way, way too much.
Just my opinion

schwza
11-12-2004, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG has JTo. The fishy players hand is not very hard to narrow down.

[/ QUOTE ]

i get from your tone that he has a flush, but there's really no way to know he wasn't drawing to a naked T.

Tilt
11-12-2004, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok I'll try your quiz.

Mistakes:

How did I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

You seriously think it was a mistake for UTG to call a river bet getting almost 5:1 when the only thing that beats him is a flush and there are two one card straight possibilities?

Just my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I see your point. But what did you think he called that flop bet with? He had to be drawing to something.

schwza
11-12-2004, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok I'll try your quiz.

Mistakes:

How did I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I see your point. But what did you think he called that flop bet with? He had to be drawing to something.

[/ QUOTE ]

a ten.

Tilt
11-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Would you call him here UTG with JT with for $50 based on the read? It always feels like I am making calls like this on LP players based on the pot and they turn over the goods more than 90% of the time. I end up kicking myself that it was so obvious that I did not need to pay them off.

granny50
11-12-2004, 04:00 PM
The more I thought about it, the less I liked my play. Pushing was a good idea. However I think a raise to $45 rather than $60 would have been good. Because I still ended up checking the turn to try and fill up I couldve saved $15 on the hand, because of my read, I was going to fold if the flush card hit.

Pushing would've been my option if I was headsup with the fish because I know he would call with any number of draws including a ten (as schwza pointed out), but this hand smelt more like a flush draw.

I think mistakes I spotted in order are:
Hero:
PREFLOP I dont really like raising this hand here, because I cannot narrow down fish's holding, so its very easy to get bluffed out if an overcard falls
FLOP : I can choose 2 lines here - push or raise less. I know raising less is going to raise a lot of eyebrows, but UTG is a decent player and its not hard to narrow down his holdings at this point - AT, JT, two pair or set.
Turn: I dont think anything wrong here
River: I dont think any mistake here either.

UTG:
Preflop: Fine.. though JTo utg is a little too loose in my opinion.
Flop: He screwed this up royally. When I raised to $60, the pot is huge enough for him to push. After the hand he says the reason he called is because he put me on J /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif.
Turn: Fine
River: Hes getting 5-1 on his call here with only a flush beating him.

Fish (He ended up having Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif)
Preflop: ....
Flop: He actually made a correct call in terms of immediate pot odds. He was getting 3:1 pot odds to hit his flush.
Turn: This is kind of hard. With so much action, I would push. I dont want to see a fourth club and then see someone with A /images/graemlins/club.gif Tx make a higher flush.
River: No problem.

Well, thats what I think. Flame away.

schwza
11-12-2004, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pushing would've been my option if I was headsup with the fish because I know he would call with any number of draws including a ten (as schwza pointed out), but this hand smelt more like a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's actually not quite what i meant - i meant that a decent player might read you as being on a draw and call with a mediocre made hand like A9, T9, JJ, etc.