PDA

View Full Version : Small and Mid Pairs Shorthanded

01-25-2002, 10:34 AM
If you are in a 5 max game in late position or the button with a hand like 55 or 77 and everyone folds to you, what is your play? Assume a raise will be called 90% of the time. What if your bet is called on the flop? Keep bluffing or give up? I seem to be having trouble deciding what to do in these spots and any advice would be appreciated. I usually lean towards betting the flop and turn against one opponent and checking the river down, but most callers will automatically put you on an ace and not lay down if they get any part of the flop. Comments?

Jeff

01-25-2002, 11:53 AM
"If you are in a 5 max game in late position or the button with a hand like 55 or 77 and everyone folds to you, what is your play? "

Raise, without a doubt.

"What if your bet is called on the flop? Keep bluffing or give up? "

That depends entirely on the texture of the board.

If you have problems with playing these hands (especially postflop) it might be advisable to post some, with all the information you had about the situation at that time.

Regards

01-25-2002, 04:19 PM
"What if your bet is called on the flop? Keep bluffing or give up?"

Each and every situation will be different so there is no set answer.

But one thing to keep in mind with medium pairs, HU on the button is this...you will still be in the lead most of the time, even with overcards OTF.

Another thing in HU play is that many players will call you down with a naked ace.

Knowing your opponent is a key element in SH and HU play.

Hope this helps...

KC50

P.S. Replying to post like you did the one above is just what gloaters like this one wants. If we ignore them, they might just go away. But if we reply to their nonsence, they will keep taking up space on these forums.

01-25-2002, 05:32 PM
Hi folks,

"Another thing in HU play is that many players will call you down with a naked ace." - KC50 (above post)

This is precisely the reason I am able to make money with very little downside risk. By staying one step ahead of the current short-handed paradigm (i.e. perpetual overaggressiveness and fear of overaggressiveness) I have been able to DESTROY these games on a regular basis, virtually never losing money in a prolonged session. As this is the case, readers are invited to either learn from the best or pass this information off as "nonsence" (SIC) at their discretion.

Steve

01-25-2002, 06:05 PM
Steve,

I will call my opponents down as well with a naked ace if in my mind I know it will produce a positive result long term.

I was referring to the fact that against the type of opponents who will do this routinely against me, my betting medium pairs even with overcards on the board will be for value and not a bluff.

Now, if I may comment on your closing statement...

"As this is the case, readers are invited to either learn from the best or pass this information off as "nonsence" (SIC) at their discretion"...

The "nonsence" that I was referring to were your two recent posts titled "I may be the best heads up player ever" and "Tearing Up 5-Handed Holdem".

Go back and read them yourself. You make no mention of or even remotely suggest any theory or examples to support the titles of your threads.

You may indeed be the greatest, I don't know and that really doesn't matter to me. But these forums are to discuss poker, not to put ourselves on pedestals or berate anyone who doesn't agree with us.

They just take up space, as I mentioned to Jeff, that's all.

If you want to share your poker expertise, I urge you to do so.

Kind regards,

KC50

01-25-2002, 08:58 PM
Well said!

01-26-2002, 01:38 AM

01-26-2002, 04:52 PM
"Assume a raise will be called 90% of the time."

Don't raise with 33/22 if they're this loose, but all higher pairs are good for a raise.