PDA

View Full Version : Poker chips now being sold where I work?? :X

phixxx
11-12-2004, 12:24 AM
Just something I found kind of funny (not sure if this is the right forum or not..), but I work part-time in a sports store in Canada called National Sports, probably one of the biggest sporting goods store in our country. Today, I walked in to work, a place that mostly sells golf equipment, hockey supplies, baseball merchandise, and sitting on a table (with its own section) is an entire poker section. Full cases with poker chips, racks, Hellmuth and Lederer DVD's, chip racks, electric card shufflers, you name it. Dice suited 11.5 gram chips to be exact..I had to keep my manager up to date on some of the stuff.

Anyone see poker becoming like this in other sports stores? Being considered an actual sport? I was quite taken aback, wouldn't you be??

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ricdaman
11-12-2004, 01:05 AM
ESPN = Sports
Poker on ESPN = Poker is a Sport
Poker is a Sport = Poker in Sports Stores

phixxx
11-12-2004, 02:34 AM
They have some pretty debatable sports on ESPN. Like bowling.

Or fishing..

stabn
11-12-2004, 02:39 AM
I was at Excalibur in the mall the other day (mainly a knife / some collectables store), and all the sudden they have poker chipsets as well.

River2Pair
11-12-2004, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just something I found kind of funny (not sure if this is the right forum or not..), but I work part-time in a sports store in Canada called National Sports, probably one of the biggest sporting goods store in our country. Today, I walked in to work, a place that mostly sells golf equipment, hockey supplies, baseball merchandise, and sitting on a table (with its own section) is an entire poker section. Full cases with poker chips, racks, Hellmuth and Lederer DVD's, chip racks, electric card shufflers, you name it. Dice suited 11.5 gram chips to be exact..I had to keep my manager up to date on some of the stuff.

Anyone see poker becoming like this in other sports stores? Being considered an actual sport? I was quite taken aback, wouldn't you be??

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw "Texas Hold 'Em gift sets" at Robinson's May in the mall.

AngryCola
11-12-2004, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw "Texas Hold 'Em gift sets" at Robinson's May in the mall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen those things in Borders. What complete garbage they are. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pokerstudAA
11-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Ah yes - but do they not sell fishing supplies at sporting goods stores? I am not sure any store sells bowling stuff except a bowling alley - but I have bowling experience.

The poker section at all the local bookstore has probably tripled in the past year....

Killer Mike
11-12-2004, 02:53 PM
ESPN has been getting a little liberal with their "sports" coverage lately, so I don't know if that's the best argument. Prime example: they had the National Scrabble Championship on last week, no joke. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Also, they covered that national spelling bee on SportsCenter, but I think that was just because that kid fainted.

Dick's Sporting Goods carries poker stuff now too, but it's all junk like the "Texas Holdem Set" mentioned above. Could you imagine walking into your home game with an official green felt Texas Holdem mat and the matching chips to go along with it from that stupid kit? My buddies would tease me unmercifully, and rightly so.

boedeker
11-13-2004, 10:47 AM
national spelling bee airs on espn 2 every year.

Benholio
11-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Taking a stroll through the mall, I saw no fewer than 12 stores selling poker chips, with at least half of them displaying them in the front window.

Novelty stores, general stores, clothes stores (???), just about every type of store had a poker chip/table/card area.

ricdaman
11-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Guess what I'm giving everyone for the holidays???

phixxx
11-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Dead cats?

TomCollins
11-13-2004, 09:42 PM
I found it funny when I went into Toys R Us to get some video games when I saw tons of poker items front and center.

Cygnus
11-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Costco's got em too.

TransientR
11-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Sorry but bowling is more of a sport than poker, IMO.

Frank

toss
11-14-2004, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dead cats?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why this made me laugh. But it did.

phixxx
11-14-2004, 04:37 AM
I'm not too sure why I posted it either. :L

AngryCola
11-14-2004, 06:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry but bowling is more of a sport than poker, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same view, and it often gets taken the wrong way. Poker is a game, not a sport, in my opinion. Chess isn't considered a "sport", so I see no reason to classify a card game as one.
You can, however, play poker for sport. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ricdaman
11-14-2004, 12:37 PM
I walked into JC Penny's a earlier this week to puchase a belt. I happened to walk by an entire section devoted to "gaming" but all they sold was poker stuff. They had about 20 chip sets and about 5 poker table tops there. I went back 2 days later to purchase a jacket. ALL OF THE TABLE TOPS WERE GONE, AND ONLY ABOUT 5 CHIP SETS WERE LEFT!!!

If you're gonna waste money on cheap chips... why not just buy the thin plastic ones?

Blake Lovely
11-15-2004, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dead cats?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why this made me laugh. But it did.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

Sponger15SB
11-15-2004, 02:30 PM
this is no shocker as sportsmart has a bunch of different poker related items you can buy.