PDA

View Full Version : KQo: raise, raise, check, fold

exist
11-11-2004, 11:29 PM
BB: V$IP 55% PFR 15%
SB: V$IP 40% PFR 2%

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (6 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8 BB

the raise on the flop was partly because i might have the best hand and partly because if later action makes me think i don't have the best hand i can often take a free card. i'm just wondering how others would approach this hand.

Scotch78
11-12-2004, 12:41 AM
Bet the turn, especially since you improved.

Scott

PokerNoob
11-12-2004, 02:07 AM
I think the key here is that SB called two cold on the flop. Would he do this with a gutshot and missed the c/r on the turn? Would he do this with a crappy ace (or worse yet, queen) and was emboldened by the turn check through? Is BB "tricky" enough to bet the flop without an ace and merely a worse Q than you? Ugh, once SB bets and BB calls on an Ace high board, I hate calling my 2nd pair top kicker. But, you've only got to be right 1 in 8 times and you're closing the action, but what are the odds neither one has an ace (or KT, or the even more whacky 55). Some hands you're destined to lose. This may be one of them. I call but kick myself as a fish when beat, but think I'm a genius when my Q hold up. This may be why I'm a bad player, I just threw away 1 BB when I'm usually beat.

vector
11-12-2004, 02:37 AM
I think it would be better to bet the turn and then take the free showdown on the river if offered.

By checking the turn you really need to call the river, since you have invited them to take a shot at it.

The overcall is not something I would be too worried about given the VPIP of the SB.

If the SB raised the turn after I bet it, I would call the raise and fold the river unimproved (Q or T, K doesn't look to hot but I guess I'd call if that fell).

If they both just call and the river is non-scary then the next question is whether there is a value bet to be had there.

NLSoldier
11-12-2004, 03:42 AM
I agree with betting the turn and taking a free showdown if you dont improve.

exist
11-12-2004, 06:00 AM
i dunno guys, after the flop action i thought it was likely that one then had an Ace. that's why i didn't bet the turn and folded the river to the bet call.

they ended up both having Aces but the SB made two pair Aces and 6's on the river to beat the BB's A7o.

joker122
11-12-2004, 06:26 AM
one of the tougher hands posted in a while. your notes on SB only make things harder: could be an ace, could be alot of other things. this is why the turn, which is the hardest street, is so hard. do you check with outs or bet the 'best' hand?

bet the turn because it's unlikely you're going to be checkraised. if you are checckraised, you'll be getting about 9.5:1. you have 3 outs to the nuts, but those could chop, but that's not likely. i'd give 2 outs there. you have 2 trip outs which are almost certainly good (2 outs). you have 3 king outs which might not be clean; give 2 there. so, if you don't have the best hand and get checkraised, you can still comfortably call with 6 outs (7.7:1) and fold the river unimproved. consider still that you might have the best hand and the fact that you're unlikely to get checkraised, and this is an easy turn bet.

the way you played it, i'd fold the river, especially given a passive player betting and another overcalling.