PDA

View Full Version : Darts on FSN

andyfox
11-11-2004, 11:22 PM
What an exciting show that is. Two finely trained athletes. It's like watching a fly crawl up the drapes, except that, with the fly, I understand what's happening. The only thing that intrigues me is one guy gets ready to dart (throw?) while the other guy is still pulling out his darts, and there's the possibility of an implantation. The guys are dressed really nice too.

One guy just took, apparently, a 4-1 lead, leading the announcer to pronounce that he took "a position of omnipotence" in the match.

Who needs hockey?

daryn
11-11-2004, 11:25 PM
the best part is how zealous the announcer is.

BRILLIANT FUKING DART! OH MY GOD IN HEAVEN DID YOU SEE THAT THROW?? BRILLIANT!!

yeah, i saw it... douche bag.

andyfox
11-11-2004, 11:29 PM
I'm still watching, while I type out posts here. Meanwhile, my wife it out dancing with her trainer.

What's wrong with this picture?

Sponger15SB
11-11-2004, 11:32 PM
TRIPLE TWENTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

me and my roomate watched a dart show on FSN last year and it was hilarious.

watching darts on tv definantly has to go on the list of "things people have to do before they die"

spamuell
11-11-2004, 11:42 PM
We have darts on TV in the UK. When a player scores three treble twenties, does the commentator scream, "One hundred and eiiiiiight-t-taaaaaay."

That was a really bad way of writing it, but if he does it you'll know what I mean.

daryn
11-11-2004, 11:55 PM
yeah i'm pretty sure it's the same show. the one shown here on FSN is definitely from the UK.

Cerril
11-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Far as I know, we don't get american darts matches. I don't even know if there -are- professional american darts matches (though I suppose there must be). Everything we get is imported from the UK and yes, that's pretty much what they yell.

I -suck- at darts, so it's pretty amusing to me to see every shot be no more than an inch or two from the triple 20 (which doesn't mean they can't have some abysmal numbers).

andyfox
11-11-2004, 11:59 PM
. . . and the announcer exclaimed that the victory put him up there "with Babe Ruth and Jessie Owens."

And that the runner-up, will surely win "next toime."

daryn
11-12-2004, 12:00 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
"next toime."

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, nice /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Neil Stevens
11-12-2004, 12:06 AM
Well yeah, they butcher the darts as much as they butcher poker.

Sky coverage of darts is still better than most stuff on television, though.

eric5148
11-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Poker on TV is probably just as boring to people who don't play poker.

ThaSaltCracka
11-12-2004, 12:10 AM
watching darts instead of playing darts is like watching soccer instead of playing soccer.

andyfox
11-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Yup, I agree. I play poker and it's boring on TV.

eric5148
11-12-2004, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
watching darts instead of playing darts is like watching soccer instead of playing soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, playing soccer is running around in circles for three hours. Watching soccer is laughing your ass off as thousands of fat drunk Scottish dudes beat the hell out of eachother, which is very entertaining.

mosta
11-12-2004, 01:09 AM
Once you log a few hundred hours trying to get decent at hitting the trebles, it can be pretty cool to watch these guys bang them out. and they make a special effort to keep the action moving fast for tv. also, you need to understand the basic rule of double-in double-out to appreciate some of the tension. that said, I'm not going to go out urge all my friends not to miss the next episode. and I like cricket a lot better than 301/501 anyway. you've got to be really really good I think before 301 becomes a very meaningful game. do you find pool just as boring to watch?

daveymck
11-12-2004, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, playing soccer is running around in circles for three hours. Watching soccer is laughing your ass off as thousands of fat drunk Scottish dudes beat the hell out of eachother, which is very entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may have cool location and avatar, but football is one of the best sporting games to watch. Its only cos USA suck so bad at it that you lot pretend it doesnt exist and dont like it.

Any sport you could say its better to play than watch.

Trouble is the US only likes sports only they play and can call themselves winners of the World Series when only them compete. (yes I know its named after a newspaper but I am not letting the facts get in the way of a bit US sports bashing).

daryn
11-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Its only cos USA suck so bad at it that you lot pretend it doesnt exist and dont like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not really sure this is the case. there are a lot of countries out there who are worse in soccer, but where soccer is tremendously popular. it's not like the USA is the worst country in the world for soccer.

i think it's just the boringness of the game to be honest with you. i just can't get excited over a 0-0 90 minute game followed by penalty kicks (which might be the dumbest idea ever for settling a game).

what happens if penalty kicks don't decide the winner? i always wondered that.

anyway, i think the reason it's the world series, and the patriots are the world champions, etc. is because the US has the biggest market for these sports, so the best athletes in the world in these games come to the US to play them, for the big money, etc. hence, they really are the best players in the world. it's not like all the players in the MLB are from the US.

MarkL444
11-12-2004, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i think it's just the boringness of the game to be honest with you. i just can't get excited over a 0-0 90 minute game followed by penalty kicks (which might be the dumbest idea ever for settling a game).

[/ QUOTE ]

couldnt agree more. sometimes if im flipping through and soccer is on, i might watch it for a little bit, but to go out of my way to watch a soccer game is absurd.

but about the ot, do you think they should just keep playing till someone scores? i never got into soccer so i have no idea just how much skill is invloved in the penalty kicks, but i guess the situation is similar to hockey, where some teams best attributes are their defense and teamwork, which just gets [censored] over in shootouts.

daveymck
11-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Penalty kicks are only for the World cup or other cup matches.

Standard league game if its a draw thats it 1 point each (instead of 3) and everyone goes home.

Thats possibly more to do with it nearly every US sport I have seen would goto overtime and has to have a winner which isnt the case in most team games here eg football, rugby and cricket can all be drawn.

Football is somthing that has to be in your blood following you local team week to week, its more about the area you are from and many other things. The other thing about US sports is this franchise thing that teams can move from town to town, one team here tried that and now has no fans. I think for those that follow football passionatley explaining it to someone who doesnt like the game is like trying to explain a wonderful sunset or beuitiful girl to a blind man. If you cant see it you cant get it.

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the best part is how zealous the announcer is.

BRILLIANT FUKING DART! OH MY GOD IN HEAVEN DID YOU SEE THAT THROW?? BRILLIANT!!

yeah, i saw it... douche bag.

[/ QUOTE ]
I missed this but who is the announcer? It sounds like VVP is moonlighting to me.

eric5148
11-12-2004, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Trouble is the US only likes sports only they play

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why is golf so popular? The Scottish invented it, and have been playing golf for centuries. It's the only sport I watch on TV.

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Trouble is the US only likes sports only they play and can call themselves winners of the World Series when only them compete. (yes I know its named after a newspaper but I am not letting the facts get in the way of a bit US sports bashing).

[/ QUOTE ]
It has nothing to with us being good our lousy at it. It has to do with watching these guys run around for three hours and the score be one-zip. Borrrrrrring. There's a German beer garden near my work that has them on all the time, but they only show highlights. That's the only way to watch soccer.

daveymck
11-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Watching US football is more boring play 5 seconds all stop cut to adverts repeat for three hours. US football I rather watch highlights.

Its all down to what you are brought up with, football would not be so popular worldwide if it was that boring, as US Football would not be popular in the US if people thoght it was boring.

Its one - nil, a zip is used to fasten your trousers.

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I think you're talking about a "zipper" there, Zipperhead.

nicky g
11-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Darts is funny. It's not a good idea to watch it sober though. Not as good as snooker though; the king of games to watch in states of non-sobriety. Coloured balls! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

daryn
11-12-2004, 12:15 PM
but i guess the situation is similar to hockey, where some teams best attributes are their defense and teamwork, which just gets [censored] over in shootouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

i lost you here. shootouts in hockey??? Overtime baby.

MarkL444
11-12-2004, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but i guess the situation is similar to hockey, where some teams best attributes are their defense and teamwork, which just gets [censored] over in shootouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im talking about back in the day, isnt that why they changed the rule?

andyfox
11-12-2004, 12:17 PM
I like watching the pool, I guess because I can appreciate the skill and each shot seems different from the prior shot.

andyfox
11-12-2004, 12:20 PM
When I'm in Hong Kong I watch snooker. The table is bigger than my living room. And the guy with the white gloves removing the balls from the pockets, I want him at my house. Does he also do windows?

Last time I was there, my sales manager was reading the newspaper and showed me an article in the sports section, asking me to read it. I did. He then asked me what sport they were talking about. We both re-read the article and still, neither one of us could identify what sport the article was about.

Ugly Americans.

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I knew there was someone that still cared about hockey. So you're the one...

ThaSaltCracka
11-12-2004, 12:30 PM
dude, I have said it a million times. Soccer is very fun to play, but very boring to watch. Having never played Hockey, I imagine the same is true too, because it is very boring to watch.

daveymck
11-12-2004, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I think you're talking about a "zipper" there, Zipperhead .

[/ QUOTE ]
# http://www.ananova.com/images/web/9696.jpg

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif How did you know

Oski
11-12-2004, 01:39 PM
In 2001, Sport Illustrated had a 10-page, or so, article on pro-darts. (I think it was April, 2001).

It was a great read. Anyway, some of these guys make millions, as darts is wildly popular in UK and Netherlands.

The best part of the article was how the dart culture was explained. The fans expect the players to be drunk and drinking during the match. In fact, until TV banned it, the players would drink and smoke in the open (now, they have the "bar" offstage).

The (then) current champion was not popular with the fans because he was a tea-totaler (meaning he did not start drinking until the match was underway).

Some UK darts-men achieve rockstar-like status.

The announcer is a piece of work as well. He has a deep, gravely voice, with a thick accent.

ThaSaltCracka
11-12-2004, 01:49 PM
I always play darts while inebriated, its more fun that way. BTW, I am a beast at darts and especially Cricket.

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 02:03 PM
LOL...I'm always amazed at how people here just happen to know where to find this stuff.

spamuell
11-12-2004, 03:58 PM
When I'm in Hong Kong I watch snooker. The table is bigger than my living room. And the guy with the white gloves removing the balls from the pockets, I want him at my house. Does he also do windows?

I love watching snooker. Does anyone else here watch it? It's by far the best sport on television. I can literally watch it for hours, it's so tense and so skilful.

Sorry Dave, I know I should stick up for Blighty here, but I find football (soccer to all you Americans) pretty boring to watch. Btw, I was at gutshot last night, it was crap.

BullChip
11-13-2004, 05:31 PM
So do they chug beer when they're thirsty?

I would love to be in the audience.

What a roar that would be.

Oh, yea. Someone stop the madness before I faint...