PDA

View Full Version : The Turning of the Ace (Chapter 11)

private joker
11-11-2004, 11:03 PM
Live 3/6, 9-handed, one-blind structure

Table is extremely loose, and BB is major LAG. He's been in virtually every pot and will chase any hand to the river.

Preflop: Hero is button with A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, MP calls, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises </font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP calls

Flop (10 sb): 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (5 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP checks, <font color="red"> Hero bets </font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP calls

Turn (6.5 BB): A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
BB checks, MP checks, <font color="red"> Hero bets, BB raises </font>, MP folds, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets </font>, BB calls

River (12.5 BB): 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif
<font color="red"> BB bets </font>, Hero calls

Comments?

ArchAngel71857
11-11-2004, 11:07 PM
looks good.

against a LAG like that, you played it pretty well, IMO.

-AA

GuyOnTilt
11-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Hey Joker,

Everything is perfect until the river. You have to raise here, for the simple reason that YOU HAVE HIM BEAT. An LAG, or even a typical, will not have you beat here anywhere near 50% of the time. Brian and I had a little talk about situations like this a couple days ago. This forum does too much calling in these types of situations on both the turn and the river in headsup situations. You guys do a good job of protecting your hand on a multiway turn, but headsup you just don't raise here often enough.

GoT

ArchAngel71857
11-11-2004, 11:18 PM
I stand corrected.

-AA

MHarris
11-11-2004, 11:18 PM
I like everything but the river. Raise and call a 3-bet. Repeat in Chapter 12.

Lmn55d
11-11-2004, 11:41 PM
wouldn't the key figure here be 33% since if he does have you beat he's gonna 3bet and you have to pay him off?

private joker
11-12-2004, 05:37 AM
*bump*

Anyone else? A couple of people have now said I should raise the river, which is interesting -- my question was actually if I should have gone into call-down mode after I was c/r on the turn; not 3-bet it, just called. Obviously people think I played it too slow even on the river.

Who else raises this river? Who just calls the check-raise on the turn?

SCfuji
11-12-2004, 05:57 AM
i raise a LAG here. if he capped the turn i call down, but he just called your turn 3-bet and then bet the turn to a nothing card.

private joker
11-12-2004, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i raise a LAG here. if he capped the turn i call down, but he just called your turn 3-bet and then bet the turn to a nothing card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to raise, but don't you think the turn check-raise indicates that he slow-played trip 7s? Maybe he called because he feared I had the case 7 with a better kicker? These thoughts went through my head as I tried to figure out his turn and river stop-n-go. I didn't think calling the river was a big mistake.

So people think that most of the time this LAG will have a weaker A and not a 7?

SCfuji
11-12-2004, 06:14 AM
if you saw him play trips with this line of betting before, then maybe calling is better. but, he is a chaser and he probably thought that his ace beat your JJ or QQ and wanted to test the strength of your hand. if hes a lag than betting the river and you calling is more profitable for him than him check/calling the river... isn't it? thats just what i would think at that moment.

private joker
11-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Villain turned over J7 and MHING. In retrospect, it was a great line for him -- he check-called his trips knowing I would bet, then check-raised the turn once I caught my top pair. I think he merely called my 3-bet because he feared I had like AA or A7 or something, but then bet out the safe river anyway. I'm not saying I'd play like him (first of all, I'd never call the PF raise with J7), but up against a TAG like me, his line with trips got a lot of $$ out of me. (And would have gotten more from those on here who said to raise the river).

Joe Tall
11-12-2004, 03:46 PM
AK beats A4 on a A477 board, raise the river.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Derek in NYC
11-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Impossible to put him on a hand since he was playing out of the BB. I dont like the raise the river line, I'm with you, bet it, call down.

private joker
11-12-2004, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AK beats A4 on a A477 board, raise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd buy this if the board paired 7s on the river. But it paired 7s on the flop -- so why would he check-raise A4 when his 2 pair was counterfeited before it even came?

Joe Tall
11-12-2004, 04:16 PM
why would he check-raise A4 when his 2 pair was counterfeited before it even came?

You know, I don't know why they do it, I've seen it over and over in much higher games than 3/6. I've seen them flip over and say, "Two pair, Aces and 4s", they just don't know how to read the board I guess.

Peace,
Joe Tall

private joker
11-12-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why would he check-raise A4 when his 2 pair was counterfeited before it even came?

You know, I don't know why they do it, I've seen it over and over in much higher games than 3/6. I've seen them flip over and say, "Two pair, Aces and 4s", they just don't know how to read the board I guess.

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's true. There are some real morons out there. But as you can see by the results, this guy wasn't one of them, unfortunately.

Gatts
11-12-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
.Brian and I had a little talk about situations like this a couple days ago. This forum does too much calling in these types of situations on both the turn and the river in headsup situations. You guys do a good job of protecting your hand on a multiway turn, but headsup you just don't raise here often enough.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is because playing in Small Stakes, most of us learned how to crush games that involve huge family pots... and as soon as it gets headsup, we tend to call down unless we have a helluva hand. This will, of course, change as some of us eventually get to levels where HUSH play becomes much more important to your overall winrate..

jmark
11-12-2004, 05:25 PM
I would have played it the same as you, but I've been shown AT, A4, or something worse so many times that maybe I should change my default play here to include a value river-raise.