PDA

View Full Version : stock prediction: Google replaces Ebay

05-04-2002, 07:11 AM
The reason EBay has been so tough to crack (not that I couldn't have done it given what others have had to work with), is that people have to list there stuff where other people will look, and people look first where other people list.

But I doubt there is anybody anymore who does not first search on Google that which he bids on on Ebay. So, if a seller listed an item available on Google, he could get the same exposure as on Ebay, plus perhaps quite a bit more.

Google Auctions?

Google Classifieds?

The Google Exchange?

Anyway, that's where I'd prefer to list my items.

eLROY

05-06-2002, 04:13 AM

05-06-2002, 01:25 PM

05-07-2002, 12:16 AM
I think Ebay has too much of a head start to overtake it . google while the premier SE will not be succesful in dethroning EBAY from the auction market, AMZN is a distant second, MSFT failed . Ebay with 500 mill in cash and a squeeky clean balance sheet is better financed to take on google, which revenues are miniscule compared to EBAY (mostly from contracts with YHOO (search engine), and a little from keyword advertising ). google is the "best search engine in the world" ,

but until they find a way to generate revenue from that , they are and will be a small cap co.

(once it goes public).

05-08-2002, 04:50 AM
I can't see it either. In fact I never use Google, unless you count the searches I do on Yahoo as Google usage. I think Google does one thing well and it will wisely stick to that. The argument for Google almost is the same as saying someday Walmart will be the biggest car seller in the world because they get the most people coming to their stores and car brands will want to sell there. Its a different business and smart businesses go out of their way to keep their brands and expertise focused and not allow them to get lost by over-leveraging. Think of Amazon and how they realized you can't sell EVERYTHING and dominate the market, only the things that make sense and don't ruin your brand or reputation. They finally have figured out the things that they can sell well and the things they can do well such as excellent inventory controls and distribution channel. That means sticking mostly to their original product lines like books and video, throwing in a few small things on the side. It doesn't mean becoming a big items seller or getting into financial services. Google will realize that either the easy way by common sense, or the hard way by trying and failing at it.

05-08-2002, 07:04 AM
There's nothing complicated about what Amazon can and can't sell, they sell copies. There's a little more to it involving time - but I won't waste our time.

You're assuming EBay does something well. EBay has sucked from day one at everything except being the first stop. All they sell is hits. Google can sell more hits, they don't need "expertise" in anything.

"unless you count the searches I do on Yahoo as Google usage"

Oh, that doesn't count.

"The argument for Google almost is the same as saying someday Walmart will be the biggest car seller in the world because they get the most people coming to their stores"

This is a good argument for Google. If you can put it on a shelf, you can sell it at Walmart. If you can list it on a web page, you can sell it at Google. Car dealers and shelf stores are completely different structures.

eLROY

05-08-2002, 09:41 AM
your dreaming of google, will overtake ebay in the auction business

and like i said ,,, dont buy puts in companies that reports pro forma __ check csco --- haha 10k's dont lie thou

05-08-2002, 09:21 PM
well elroy may not be right as target wont likely take over walmart position as walmart is too heavily ingrained. same may be for ebay. but remember computer people will abandon quickly if something better comes along. see though that his thinking is absolutely correct but his example may be debateable or maybe not.

who would have thought that univac wouldnt be the foremost computer company in the world back way back when. or that compac could suffer to dell and gateway. whoever starts giving the best reasons for using their site will get the money. google may or may not, lets see.

05-10-2002, 10:19 AM
I never would have believed it but it is true.

eBay is a facility to hundreds maybe even thousands of people to make

their living on. That is not so easy to "knock-off" - like someone said it even Amazon failed to

take over completely. Like they say every good thing takes time.

05-11-2002, 09:56 PM
How come you make ten times more sense here than on the Other Topics forum?