PDA

View Full Version : 6max - 100NL tougher than 25 and 50?

Yeti
11-11-2004, 09:14 PM
How much tougher?

I ran over the 25NL for 40bb over about 4k hands and quickly moved up to 50, where I received a bit of a shock and struggled at 0bb for about 3000 hands. I initially thought this was because the games were tougher but it was probably because I had been on a big rush at 25.

I got my rate up to about 6BB/100 over 7k hands and am in the process of moving up to 100NL. I have 20 buy ins.

How tough are the 100s? My style is very aggressive and it just seems there's dozens of tough opponents of that ilk at 100. They call my raises, call my flop bet then take it off me at the river when I check behind on the turn. Stuff like this seems to happen a lot. Maybe it's because I'm missing flops.

Sorry for ranting, just trying to find my thoughts. I'm finding moving up frustrating.. again.

soah
11-11-2004, 09:45 PM
A lot of the players at the 100 level are extremely LAG. Some of them are very smart, thinking LAGs but most of them are horrible and are incapable of slowing down. Some of them will call raises with virtually any two cards no matter who raises or how much of a rock they are. Figure out which ones will call down with any piece of the board and value bet relentlessly against them when you pick up a hand. Don't try to bluff your way through a hand. Your folding equity against most of the players is way too low. Don't let the LAGs make you turn passive though. If you just call down you'll end up putting more money in the pot when you lose than you do when you're ahead. Raise them and bet into them when you have a hand that you think is best. They don't like being pushed around and will show down some very marginal hands.

fimbulwinter
11-11-2004, 10:06 PM
well, i'll give my two cents. check schwza, wayfare et al cos they have more experience playing party (i was bred a prima player).

all 6max games at party have holes which can be exploited. certain holes have easier tactics to exploit (ie playing against a table full of LP's is pretty easy to exploit) but don't assume that those faults in opponents play which are easiest to play against are necessarily the most +EV.

that said, here are the faults as i see them in players at party's 6maxes.

25nl. true calling stations with one or two complete psychos thrown in for fun. showdown good hands. done.

50nl. some calling stations and a mix of rocks. bluff the rocks and bet for value against the LP's. still, at this level, fear a raise bigtime, because if you can't beat an overpair, calling a raise from a rock or LP is surely -EV.

100nl. the most complex game i've seen. good mix of over-aggro lags and rocks, with a chronic donator at each table. vary your game according to the players in the hand. also, don't overestimate implied odds here. people won't be calling all-in with ace high most often. the fact that players think a little more allows you to actually make some moves here.

200nl. still learning this one, but players here are generally pretty good, however they (most) all are victims of FPS and rarely vary their play (one guy just minraised 4 flush draws in a row on my table). playing solid, straightforward poker here is generally best, but you do have to do things like checkraising tptk or overpairs once in a while to keep from getting robbed. people also (surprisingly) still overvalue draws with a mere 50BB behind.

bottom line: breaking these games will require you to change your play, but it doesnt necessarily mean that you can't win as many, if not more BB/100 at the bigger levels. before you step up, sit and just watch two tables for an hour or so while you eat or whatever. see the mistakes people make, think about the best way to make them pay for the inconsistencies in their play.

fim

gergery
11-11-2004, 10:07 PM
i personally have found the 100s to be significantly tougher than the 50s, which i thought were fairly similar to the 25s. But the 100s are definitely beatable, you just need to adjust properly. which often means playing tighter, and using position better.

and 4k or 7k hands are just drops in the bucket -- too small to really draw meaningful conclusions.

Yeti
11-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

I totally agree with gergery, I'm starting to realise how essential position is in the 100s. I'm guessing unless you happen upon a very weak table its no longer possible to raise and bet every flop. It needs to be more restrained and thought out.

I'm gonna get there. Thanks.