PDA

View Full Version : Headsup problem

01-14-2002, 12:58 PM
I have been studying headsup play, as I think it is potentially more profitable if you play well, and I also think the forced agression improves regular play. I have used TTHE a lot, and I generally think its headsup advice is very good or excellent, but I have seen one situation where I do not understand its advice:

On the button (SB), you hold JTo. You raise. BB calls. Flop comes AK3, suits don't matter. BB bets out. TTHE rule says to call...this makes no sense to me. In fact, when I simulate calling, it loses more than folding. (I could see betting here if checked and then folding to a raise though). But forget rules, simulations, etc: Why call here with two overcards against a bettor?

By the way, with AT, a board of KJ3, and a bettor, and you hold the button headsup, the right play is very agressive. As TTHE correctly indicates....

thanks in advance,

Mark

01-14-2002, 06:09 PM

01-15-2002, 01:43 PM
I don't think a computer in headsup play is real helpful. I am no computer expert but how does a computer take into consider psychology? Shorthanded play is a game of cat and mouse. When

I play someone headsup firstly I think I think I have a pretty good read on their play and secondly

I feel like I can outplay them otherwise why play them to begin with. In your above example with JT

I don't think the correct play is real straight

forward. Some players when an Ace comes on the

flop will bet a very high percentage of the time

with nothing trying to resteal from you. Against

this type of player I will raise and most of the

time he will fold if he has nothing and I pick

up the pot. If he calls unless I improve I am

done with it. If he is capable of restealing from

my steal against his steal I don't want to play

with him to begin with. Other players when they bet after the pot is raised have a piece of the flop and against this type of player a fold might

be correct. If you are routinely folding after you raise when you are bet into you are giving up

way too much and your play is probably way too

predictable. Keep in mind in headsup play most

of the time nobody has anything on the flop.

Bruce

01-15-2002, 02:56 PM
I haven't read the book -- maybe I should. Here's my 2cents and you can decide if I should.

I'm answering your question by asking why would the BB bet out on a hand like this rather than why would I call. If I were the BB I expect a SB pre-flop raise with most pocket pairs big suited connectors and just about any two cards that can make a str8t (depending on aggressiveness of my opponent).

So, I need to get some information on why they raised. I bet out to the SB to get some info, and hopefully win the pot outright -- depends on my image at the time. As the SB I assume the BB did not re-raise pre-flop because they have something, but not something that good. Assume A-anything, K-anything, suited low-connector, and other misc. depending on style (KQo, QJo, etc).

With the board you mention I as the BB would bet with any reasonable draw JT, middling pair kk, and absolutely with 43 suited and if I'm hitting during the session I will bet with any rags. As the BB I'm confident the if the SB is a good player they think I could have a big card with a bad kicker, and they would call with AK, AJ, AQ, AT, as they would know they likely have me beat and would want to raise when they know they have drawn me out as far as they can. Could be on the Turn or River.

A raise from the SB tells me that they want to win the pot right there and likely afraid to go on to when the stakes get higher. So, I put them on a low pocket pair TT, 99, 88 or even 77. Or I figure the SB might be on a draw, flush, str8t and they want to win outright, or make the pot big if they hit. In this case I doubt they would want to hit str8t because there are only 4 outs regardless of QJ or QT or JT, and that is a bad percentage play (I will come to that conclusion based on the cards they play and their betting style). So, I figure the SB just wants to win pot right there and as the BB I will re-raise regardless of what I'm holding because I'm confident the SB has nothing, when they raise my original bet.

So, as the SB I will just call and make the BB think I have the pot won. The BB would make a big mistake in betting the turn without something big -- pair of aces or kings. They know the SB raised pre-flop, and called flop. So they should be worried about getting raised on the turn -- with nothing they are unlikely to bet the turn.

So, if they bet the turn you then have to decide on strength of the BB. You might want to raise the BB turn bet with a draw, if the player is aggressive. If they are weak, definitely fold. Either way the decision at the turn is much easier to make with the info you gleaned on the flop. And you have given them more to worry about by calling than raising.

The caveat is "can the the person you're playing against can go beyond their cards and consider how you're playing." If you're just playing against a bad player, you may want to fold on the flop as it is very hard to glean info. from them and you have a bad draw.

My 2 cents.

01-15-2002, 05:02 PM