PDA

View Full Version : Slow down on river?

jayrutz2
11-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Live 3/6 at Art Joes

Hero is SB A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifq /images/graemlins/spade.gif. BB is new to table, but seems tight and solid.

MP1 calls, button checks(paid chop...), Hero raises, BB calls, MP1 folds, Button calls. 3 players, 5 SBs

Flop: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero Bets. BB looks at cards for 30 secs, almost mucks, then makes a crying call.

Turn 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Hero bets, BB quickly calls

River 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

River Hero ?????

Rubeskies
11-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Bets

butters
11-11-2004, 05:12 PM
I'm guessing button folded on the flop?

On the river, bet and fold to a raise or check/call, depending on your read.

jayrutz2
11-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Yes button folded...

Based on his crying flop call and his fast turn call, I put him on likely straight that filled on river. So if that is the read, check call?

Rubeskies
11-11-2004, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Based on his crying flop call and his fast turn call, I put him on likely straight that filled on river. So if that is the read, check call?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are putting him on a far too limited range of hands. He might have decided you don't have an A and decided to call down with a pair of 8s or 5s. Maybe he has a pocket pair like TTs or JJs and he just doesn't 3-bet with them. There are many hands he could have. Putting somebody on an exact hand with very little evidence to support it is dangerous.

jayrutz2
11-11-2004, 06:54 PM
BTW, I find these types of reads MUCH more reliable in Live vs online play, do you?

pfkaok
11-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Yeah, i would bet too, as he could also have a weak A... although he could have easily hit his kicker on turn or river, i still think that there's a good chance you're ahead and he'll still call on river with a lot of hands. I agree that putting him on exactly 67 is WAY TOO narrow.

Rubeskies
11-11-2004, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I find these types of reads MUCH more reliable in Live vs online play, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree that you can get much better reads live then online. There is an interesting tell for seeing if somebody is on a straight draw. For a normal person a flush draw is easy to see, two on the board, two in my hand. But a straight draw you have to sort of count in your head and make sure you can make all 5 in sequence. This tends to take a few seconds.

If you can see somebody mouthing numbers to themselves or seeming like their trying to calculate something (and you know they don't use pot odds) they could very well be on a straight draw. Tells like this are never 100% accurate or even close to it though.