PDA

View Full Version : I...check the river with an overpair?

TazQ
11-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $10.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, Hero calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Villian is new to the table, no previous notes. Although his name makes me think he is an idiot. No, it's not one of those creative "I'm really good with a stupid name" type of names, just a name a moron would choose, you know?

On the river I sat there for a good 10-15 seconds thinking before I checked.

Bad mojo? What if I bet and he check raises again?

bxpeter
11-11-2004, 04:52 PM
hmmmm

I struggle with these turn checkraises and I would be tempted to fold on the turn. However, he could have J9o, or Jxh, or some pocketpair or Axh so calling the turn is probably correct.

The check on the river is odd but it would be a good spot to go for a checkraise with a 4 if he reads you for an overpair. Chances are though, that the guy is a moron, like you said, and I would bet and probably fold to a checkraise. I don't think checking is too bad either considering you don't know this guy and calling two bets on the river to lose sucks and folding the winning hand to his raise sucks.

threepines
11-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Easy bet on the river. He doesn't have JJ or 99. The only real threat is A4 or something along those lines. Would he try for a check raise after checkraising you on the turn? Bet and expect to see a jack with maybe a nine or a heart draw.