PDA

View Full Version : The OFFICIAL complaint thread of OFFICIAL posts

B00T
11-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Why in the f00k whenever there is a big topic like the World Series, or Halo, or poker bonus some boner has to make a post about it but claim that the specific thread he created is the OFFICIAL one.

People will obviously see a post about the World Series and they can post there. If they dont read the post they'd make a new post anyway so the OFFICIAL means nothing. If they do read the post they will see there is a discussion going and will chime into it.

Do people make OFFICIAL posts just so that they can see their name on a thread that will get a lot of replies and views?

If you ever made an OFFICIAL psot of a topic to be special go ahead and flame me you nimrods.

codewarrior
11-11-2004, 03:32 PM
In honor of this official post, I shall officially refrain from spawning my "OFFICIAL Have a Nice Warm Cup of Shut The [censored] Up" thread.

Edge34
11-11-2004, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In honor of this official post, I shall officially refrain from spawning my "OFFICIAL Have a Nice Warm Cup of Shut The [censored] Up" thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

So we'll just call this the Official Cup of STFU post, does that work? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

For overreaction guy, who for some reason gets no sleep at night wondering why the "f00k" people (or as he says, "boners"...i'm sure he giggles at that one...") make "Official" threads is that, for example, each world series game could spawn 10 threads...we wouldn't want that now would we? So we put all the comments on the game into one thread to conserve space. Now go have a drink and relax, buddy, its not a problem...at least, not one you should have.

-Edge

B00T
11-11-2004, 03:59 PM
I got a better idea. Go reread my post and then post again after you actually read it this time.

OK now that you did that...Write a post that doesnt contain something I already diffused, and answer the question I asked, not the one I answered. I look forward to your response.

There is only one question mark in my post, so hopefully you will be able to find what I am asking for.

vulturesrow
11-11-2004, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is only one question mark in my post, so hopefully you will be able to find what I am asking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the first sentence in your post should have a question mark too. So there are two questions to answer actually. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

B00T
11-11-2004, 04:07 PM
It should but it doesnt...Think of it like a Jerry Seinfeld question. It is a question asked that does not facilitate answers.

vulturesrow
11-11-2004, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It should but it doesnt...Think of it like a Jerry Seinfeld question. It is a question asked that does not facilitate answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the term you are looking for is "rhetorical question."

namknils
11-11-2004, 04:23 PM
I believe the answer to your question is "No". Happy now?

razor
11-11-2004, 04:30 PM
I imagine people start OFFICIAL threads to accomplish exactly what OFFICIAL threads seem to be able accomplish to a reasonable degree, more often than not...

But I could be wrong...

namknils
11-11-2004, 04:36 PM
I'll elaborate on my previous post. I believe that people post OFFICIAL threads because as someone else mentioned, they keep everything about one topic in one place. People don't want to see 4 diferent posts on the same topic on the first page. Also, others put OFFICIAL in the subject line as a cliche, just like "do you see why?" and all the other popular ones.

B00T
11-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Listen I am well aware of the reasoning behind it.

So what you are all basically saying is that the general population of 2+2 posters are "boners" (I didnt giggle) and too stupid to see one post on a subject and then create their own?

I dont believe that's the case. So you can draw one of two conclusions...

1. The posters who make the official threads just want to see their name in lights and feel special that they started the thread people migrate to.

or 2. People here are too stupid to see one post on a topic and post their opinions there and create a 2nd, 3rd,..10th post on the topic.

I'm guessing the first one "and it's not even close"

"Do you see why?"

ThaSaltCracka
11-11-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. The posters who make the official threads just want to see their name in lights and feel special that they started the thread people migrate to.

[/ QUOTE ] You are a retard. No one cares about seeing their name in lights, and I am even going to guess, hardly anyone here gives a [censored] about their post total meaning something.

bosoxfan
11-11-2004, 05:07 PM
why does it bother you what people put as the subject for thier posts?

razor
11-11-2004, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what you are all basically saying is that the general population of 2+2 posters are "boners" (I didnt giggle) and too stupid to see one post on a subject and then create their own?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a variety of reasons multiple threads get started.

- Some people don't take the time to check for threads that may have already been started (using all-caps OFFICIAL gets one's attention - the word 'official' not doubt has some impact but the all-caps is attention grabbing).

- Some people choose weak thread titles and their threads fall off the frontpage unnoticed

- Some people aren't as well-known so their threads may not get enough responses and their threads fall off the frontpage

- Some people just like to start their own threads and even if they do find others on the same topic... having an OFFICIAL thread helps counter. After all it's easy to ignore a "day 7 wsop" thread started by razor and start your own... not so easy to ignore a "OFFICIAL - WSOP Day 7 Thread" started by El D.

and yes, judging by the f*** buddy, wanna get laid, when didja, where didja and whatever didja threads started in the last coupla weeks, there seem to be more than a few 2+2 boners.

B00T
11-11-2004, 05:11 PM
You'd be surprised...

Calling me a retard because you think like me. You must be retarded too. Difference is you are just oblivious to it.

You'd be surprised how much value people put into an online "persona" of feeling special and being a "respected poster". People kill themselves over getting ousted from a clan from Everquest or the like. Others have their lives ruined from games or being addicted to whatever it is.

Now granted Clarkmeister or whoever else that created the NLCS threads obviously do not care what others think.

Once again I agree with you in thinking that such fame is just ridiculous. There are in-fact people that are obsessed with this kind of thing, and if you don't grasp that then perhaps you are the one that is retarded.

ThaSaltCracka
11-11-2004, 05:14 PM
well then they are losers, plain and simple, but so what, they are losers.

As for my post count, its only high because I do nothing at work, I could care less what people think about me.

FYI, whenever I look at someones poker posts, the first thing I look at is Date Reg:, not post count.

B00T
11-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Then that was the whole point of my post..

I asked if people here were just "boners".

Who ever said a word about post count? I never did and you have mentioned it twice. I don't care if you have 10 posts or 10,000 posts. And FWIW I find your posts entertaining. Congratulations, I am sitting at work too and find this amusing.

What does date registered really matter? If Spirit Rock registered today and started posting his winrates and logic in the NL boards would everyone disregard him because he was a new poster?

Basically my theory was posted in half humor on the "Other Topics" thread, and half serious. If people need an "OFFICIAL" thread to post on because they are too stupid to follow another thread on the same topic then fine...My question is answered.

ThaSaltCracka
11-11-2004, 05:32 PM
I think the official threads start first....

I mentioned post count because you stated some people really care about their online persona and one of the ways they do is by having lots of posts, as if that means anything.

As for reg date, I see people on here who have been registered since august 2002, around the time the forums changed, shows to me that most of the have been on here a while, and probably know a lot about poker. You'll notice, most of them have around 3k post. When I see a new person with a lot of post, that usually means one of two things to me. 1) they are trying to boost their PC because they think it means something and 2) they are trying to exert themselves as a good poker by giving an absurd amount of advice. Either way, I don't care at all.

For me, this place is just a fun area to BS at work or while I am bored at home, and nothing else. Sure there are other forums, but I like the format here the most, and I like the posters here the most. Believe it or not, but most of the forums I have been to, I am usually the most literate one, which is scary, because on here I am probably near the low end of the totem pole. I just happen to know a lot of BS stuff, and have an opinion on basically everything.

daveymck
11-11-2004, 09:34 PM
We dont have "boners" in the UK (as people anyway)

Could some one please elaborate on being a boner and if I want to be one or not.

Could someone also please tell me how to get the name in lights feature to work as well, all the official posts just come up normal with me I want to see what all the fuss is about.

I do think anyone complaining about OOT of all forums may perhaps be more attention seeking than those trying to keep the forum tidy when big events are happening.

ThaSaltCracka
11-11-2004, 09:38 PM
ooooooooooo.... I think your right Davey