PDA

View Full Version : Sketchy 66 hand

Lmn55d
11-11-2004, 03:21 PM
I wasn't sure how to play this once I got raised on the flop. I thought there was a good enough chance that he was raising with a straight draw, flush draw, or lower pair
that I needed to continue. I chose to 3bet so I could hopefully get a free turn or river if I chose. What do you guys think??

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.50 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>

EvanJC
11-11-2004, 03:27 PM
call preflop, check/fold flop.

Lmn55d
11-11-2004, 03:44 PM
hmm....the cutoff had posted a blind after me so I thought this was a good spot to raise. What would be the lowest pocket pair you'd raise here?

tripdad
11-11-2004, 03:48 PM
i like the PF raise. you certainly don't want to just call. folding is OK too.

i like betting the flop, but HATE the 3-bet, for reasons i'm sure you are well aware of, else why would you be posting the hand? call the raise, fold to a turn bet.

cheers!

dejableu
11-11-2004, 03:56 PM
I think you misplayed this hand. Although many players raise on the come on flops, they rarely check-raise on the come. When he called your 3-bet but did not cap, I think it screams Kx (KJ, KT, or quite probably something much worse).

You were getting 10:to:1 to call on the flop, which actually isn't enough to see the next card (you'll hit on the turn only 5 percent of the time). By 3-betting, you make it 11:to:2, which is disastrous unless you intend to take a free card--even then, you don't have the odds.

The long and short of it is that you should be looking for a reason to chuck your hand when you see that check-raise on the flop.

Jeff W
11-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Excellent raise pre flop. Folding this hand sacrifices too much equity.

The flop 3-bet is questionable. Against a tricky/aggressive opponent I do not mind a 3-bet. But against a standard passive 2/4 player, calling is better. If an A or diamond hits the turn, you should fold. Otherwise you can make a decision about whether you want to get to showdown or not.

The turn card is not a blank. You should check the turn to induce a river bluff from a busted draw. If he was semi-bluff check-raising A-3/A-4 or Axdiamond, he now has you drawing thin.

Given the action, the river check was smart.

Lmn55d
11-11-2004, 03:57 PM
why exactly would I call the bet if I'm gonna fold to a turn bet? Do you think he checks the turn enough of the time here after raising me?

Lmn55d
11-11-2004, 04:00 PM
thanks for the reply. I agree with most of what you said...but if I did put him on a draw, why would I check the turn and call the river instead of betting the turn and checking the river. This charges him for drawing and also is a sort of semibluff on the ace. If he raises I can fold. I see the argument for folding to his flop raise, but not really checking the turn and calling the river.

Rico Suave
11-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Lmn55d:

The presence of the CO poster will push me toward folding this preflop (although--raising is much better than calling). I would raise with 88 here everytime....77 maybe with tight blinds...66 and lower I would tend to fold.

--Rico

tripdad
11-11-2004, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why exactly would I call the bet if I'm gonna fold to a turn bet? Do you think he checks the turn enough of the time here after raising me?

[/ QUOTE ]

folding is probably actually the better play here. you do have a little pot equity, and should be able to get an extra BB out of him should you spike your set on the turn.

a better question, though, is what makes you put this player on a draw, with only 1 draw available to him? how do you justify the 3-bet?

cheers!

Lmn55d
11-11-2004, 04:17 PM
theres not just one draw. There are possible straight and flush draws out. He could have Ad4 or something like that. Maybe my thinking was incorrect, but I thought i was ahead enough to see the river and I thought 3betting was the cheapest way to showdown.