PDA

View Full Version : Folding AA Preflop

Snoopy22209
11-11-2004, 02:50 PM
I have a question for you folks about a hypothetical situation involving AA.

For argument sake lets say the following situation arises.

You are in a tournament final table 5 players left.

You are short stacked to the point were even if you double or triple up you will with barely enough chips to pay a couple of blinds.

You are in the big blind...

Everyone goes all-in ahead you. You have AA. Would you fold the AA hoping to move up in the money when people get knocked out in the hand...or do you play the AA and risk being cracked in an effort to get some chips, and also possibly moving up in the money?

cnfuzzd
11-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Depends on the differences in money awarded for the remaining places, how many people will be all in on this pot, etc etc etc. But no, i would probably still call.

peace

john nickle

BusterStacks
11-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Wasn't almost this exact situation in Theory of Poker?

mikeyp
11-11-2004, 03:30 PM
With that situation it seems like you are screwed either way.. . so I would just call to hope to triple up.

slickterp
11-11-2004, 03:38 PM
5 players left, 4 go all in before you? any tourney structure, the diff between 5 and 2 is huge. i say fold it. i would guess that gets you at LEAST to 3rd, assuming that maybe 2 people split. this can get you a significant amount of prize money. if one person wins, you are guaranteed second, which is gona pay you alot more than 5th, probably about twice as much.

Moonsugar
11-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Man, did you just copy this from TOP?

You don't say what the money prize structure is or the chip distribution is, but in most cases:

I FOLD.

PhatPots
11-11-2004, 06:08 PM
I call. Because.... unless all the player have the same amount, there is no guarantee that anyone will be eliminated. Some players might get short stacked...but still.....I would call and hope to win a PHATPOT!

ThorGoT
11-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Setting aside split pots, and assuming there is one huge stack, one big stack, one medium stack, and one small stack (you are the tiny stack -- sorry!), there are 24 possible options if you don't go in. In six, huge stack wins: you get second! In six, big stack wins: you get third! In six, medium stack wins: you get fourth! In six, small stack wins: you're screwed. /images/graemlins/frown.gif Let's assume the payoff structure is 1 unit for 5th, 2 for 4th, 4 for 3rd, 8 for 2nd, and 16 for 1st (not sure if that's realistic). Fold, and your estimated value is: 2 (8*.25) + 1 (4 *. 25) + .5 (2 * .25) + .25 (1* .25), or 3.75. If you go in, and get busted out, you get the lowest place of the people busted out (since you're the tiny stack), and get 1. If you win, you've got 5*bupkus, which equals bupkus, although there's a chance that the bigger stacks will win the side pots and knock people out. Say you're a 30% favorite: you'll get .7*1 (.7) + 3.75*.3 (1.15), for 1.85. I just don't see how the numbers can make a call make sense.