PDA

View Full Version : Setting Limits

Bigbetkid
11-11-2004, 01:43 PM
What limits do you guys set when you play? Do you set money or time limits? What's the best way and how much or how long?

bdk3clash
11-11-2004, 02:29 PM
I base it on time constraints, how I'm feeling, and how the game is. I don't directly factor in whether I'm winning or losing for my decision to continue or stop playing.

I admit that winning or losing still impacts how I'm feeling generally while at the tables, though I try to keep a pretty positive table demeanor even when I, say, 6-bet the river with the second best hand. (Though that was genuinely fun and not particularly painful.) It affects me to a much lesser extent than it used to, given that I'm now more than adequately bankrolled for the limits I play and pretty numb emotionally to what can happen at the tables.

I still manage to get out of line about once per live session in terms of psychological stuff like talking back at someone, etc. (In terms of how I play I get out of line very, very often. "Frequently, even.")

eric5148
11-11-2004, 02:56 PM
These are the reasons I would end a session:

1 - I'm on tilt

2 - I'm so tired that I can't maintain a good enough win rate

3 - My mind is distracted, and can't maintain a good enough win rate

4 - I have to go do some other dreadful non poker related activity, such as eating.

fishman
11-11-2004, 03:04 PM
I generally won't go play unless I comfortably have 3-4 hrs minimum of time to commit in order to wait out the innevitable long dead card streaks. That also helps keep me from playing more hands than I should. I will continue playing as long as I feel I'm playing well and not tired, distracted, tilting, etc.

I always sit down with 20BB and leave if I lose it all. Even if its 45 minutes ( which has happenned a few times ). Thats my limit. Kind of tight, I know. Most people would probably want to be in the 30 BB range.

turnipmonster
11-11-2004, 03:11 PM
I only play when I think to myself "you know what, it would be fun to play some cards right about now". whenever I realize I am not having fun playing, I stop and go do something else.

--turnipmonster