PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive late with medium hands, borderline hands [Party 30+3]

Benholio
11-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Here are a few hands from level 4-5 where I wasn't sure how aggressive to be with my hand.

Hand #1
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed)

BB (t765)
UTG (t2815)
Hero (t780)
Button (t3275)
SB (t365)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t100, Hero folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t765 (All-In)</font>, UTG folds.

EP limpers in these SnG's just reek of weakness, so I considered a steal raise here to try and take the pot. I would have almost definately pushed here without the limper, since I am pretty shortstacked. The only problem here is that UTG has a ton of chips, so my FE might be pretty low. Should I have pushed here and try to beat him anyway?

Hand #2
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed)

Hero (t425)
Button (t776)
BB (t1844)
UTG (t2040)
MP1 (t2915)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. BB posts a blind of t200.
UTG calls t200, MP1 folds, Hero folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t776 (All-In)</font>, SB (poster) folds, UTG calls t576.

Without the limper, I definately push here, hoping that my hand is better than BB's, since I have no fold equity. Now, with someone already in the pot (but only limped, at least), do I push anyway, or is my hand too weak to try to take on someone who is voluntarily in the pot, and maybe play multiway? Do I have enough chips to care?

Hand #3
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed)

UTG (t2260)
Hero (t1545)
Button (t1849)
SB (t690)
BB (t1656)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t200, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t1545 (All-In)</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t1656 (All-In)</font>, UTG folds.

Here is another hand with an UTG limper, where I have a hand I would have likely stolen with without the limper. Would you push here?

Hand #4
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed)

Button (t655)
SB (t780)
BB (t730)
UTG (t1125)
MP1 (t2770)
MP2 (t1130)
Hero (t810)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t655 (All-In)</font>, SB folds, BB folds.

Here I have a very borderline hand in the CO for stealing. I will steal from this spot with any ace, any pair, and high kings. In this particular situation, all of the players after me are relatively shortstacked, but not pot committed on the blind, so I may have had enough FE to steal here. Would you have tried for a steal here?

AA suited
11-11-2004, 05:59 PM
#1- i would have folded too. since you have 7x BB left, u are not in desparate mode yet. no need to challenge the #2 stack.

#2- I would have pushed. you have 2x BB left. KJ is a good hand when you're in desparation mode. utg limping smells of weakness (or AA /images/graemlins/ooo.gif ). most people would raise this late in the game if they had decent cards.

#3- i would have folded. my game play is raise or fold this late in the game (100/200 blinds). if anyone just limps in, i assume AA. yeah, that's weak-tight but ITM is my goal. no need to challenge anyone unless I have top 5 hands if i'm not in desparation mode.

#4- i would have pushed to steal w/k9o, but would have folded w/k8o. k9o gives me a (slim) chance of a straight. i would have pushed with kx suited too.

button, sb, and bb are all small stacks, but have 7x BB. thus they are not in depsaration mode. they shouldn't be calling unless they had great cards.

lastchance
11-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Fold 1, Push 2, Push 3, Push 4. Just my opinion, most of these (except 2) can probably go either way. Just don't see you folding your way ITM there.

Bigwig
11-11-2004, 06:50 PM
I like your decisions on all four.