PDA

View Full Version : ATs UTG - hu against button

Fiddler
11-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Button's VP$IP is 50%, PFR 9.4%. He is usally pretty aggressive post-flop.

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Thats no fun...

Turn: (6.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Should I just call it down after he raises the flop? Fold the turn since I don't have odds for the gutshot?

J.R.
11-11-2004, 01:38 PM
I don't really like the flop 3-bet, especially if he will keep betting worse aces if you call, unless he is very overaggressive postflop.

joker122
11-11-2004, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like the flop 3-bet, especially if he will keep betting worse aces if you call

[/ QUOTE ]

If he'll bet a worse ace on the turn and river, that means he'll call down with them too. So 3betting the flop gains you one more SB. I don't see how him betting a worse hand for you is better than you betting and him calling.

Fiddler
11-11-2004, 01:52 PM
I don't know specifically about worse aces but he does like to raise scare cards if he thinks someone has an underpair or missed overcards etc.

Should I call down after the raise or check-fold the turn?

J.R.
11-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Because he could be raising better hands as well, and those will cap your 3-bet, so its kinda like you get an extra bet when you are better and lose two extra bets when behind. My general reaction is that this is a board that hits a utg raiser, so you aren't a huge fan of the flop raise because you are representing a strong hand (if he is paying attention).

Basically you aren't likely to get exploited and give a free card or miss value since he will keep betting, and the issue is whether he will raise a hand worse than AT the majority of the time on the flop (because you will ofetn get capped when he has a better hand as he is aggresisve). If not, you call down. It wasn't clear to me that this opponent was so aggressive as to be raising so many worse hands that a 3-bet was warranted. But it might be if the opponent is raising that many worse hands on the flop.

J.R.
11-11-2004, 02:33 PM
"Should I call down after the raise or check-fold the turn?"

It sounds like this opponent is aggressive enough that folding is out of the question. The issue seems to be whether he is so over aggressive that a flop 3-bet or turn check-raise is warranted becuase his range of flop raising hands is, on average, worse than your ATs (and actually it would need to be much worse as he will re-raise with his best hands, so you need to be more than just a favorite against his range of hands, I would think). But is seems clear that he is raising enough worse hands to call down, as while you may not be a clear favorite against the range if hands he is raising on the flop, the dead money in the pot gives you an overlay sufficient to show your hand down.