PDA

View Full Version : Stealing Blinds in Small Stakes Games

ribbit
11-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Small Stakes Holdem says that you should "tighten up substantially on your blind steals when you play in small stakes games" due to the loose defenders and the proportionally higher rake. (I currently play $3/$6 online at Party).

My first question is, assuming typical players in the blinds, how far to tighten up. Specifically what should be my criteria for raising first in from late position.

My second question is should I ever just call in this spot?

My current strategy in this spot is to raise with any ace, any pocket pair, and any two cards ten or higher.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ribbit

Octopus
11-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Random thoughts off the top of my head, about which I invite disagreement:

1) The rake at Party 3/6 is small to very small compared to B&M's. While Party's is still a lot compared to mid limit, its impact on blind stealing is small relative to live play.

2) If you are faced with blind stealing decisions very often, find a new table. Anything more than about once per five orbits (to make a highly scientific wild guess) is probably too often. (Put another way, if it is passed around to the cut-off more than once an orbit on average, your table is tighter than it needs to be.)

3) I can not think of a reason to limp first in in late position (unless you play with the same observant opponents a lot, which probably won't be the case at Party).

4) Without a read, your list seems reasonable to me (though I usually pass on Ax smaller than A8 or so).