PDA

View Full Version : What little restaurants does your region have the most of?

ThaSaltCracka
11-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Seattle area is full of Teriyaki and Pho restaurants. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
11-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Miami. Ummmm...Cuban restaurants.

daveymck
11-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Indian (not red)

MrGo
11-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Milwaukee is a German/Polish city. Lost of brats/sausages here...and damn are they g000000t!

Sincere
11-11-2004, 01:27 PM
In Florida where everybody is over 60, it is full of $5.99 all you can eat buffets so the old cheap bastards can pig out at 3 o clock and be in bed by 6.

ThaSaltCracka
11-11-2004, 01:39 PM
haha, are you serious? That sounds like vegas, except the bed by 6 thing.

Gamblor
11-11-2004, 01:59 PM
There's a little Italian restaurant on every street in the city. Every other block has a Chinese restaurant. Every third block has sushi.

I don't recall if any Canadians live here.

ThaSaltCracka
11-11-2004, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't recall if any Canadians live here.

[/ QUOTE ] Naw, they are "Canadian". Vancouver is full of pizza places and Chinese food.

nothumb
11-11-2004, 02:13 PM
My town has every restaurant ever imagined by man or beast. The Berkshires have such a glut of restaurants it's not close to being funny. Something like 50 or 60 within a six mile radius in a town that's only got like 6000 inhabitants come winter.

Highlights include a few excellent brewery/pub type joints, several good high-end Japanese places, and great burritos, pizza and Finnish food (Club Helsinki) all in the same building.

NT

Slacker13
11-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Seafood and Sushi.

Peca277
11-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Northern Virginia has an unbelievable number of Thai restaurants.

ThaSaltCracka
11-11-2004, 03:20 PM
thats surprising, we actually have a lot of Thai restaurants in Seattle. In fact there are a lot of Asian restarants in Seattle, I don't know why /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

vulturesrow
11-11-2004, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thats surprising, we actually have a lot of Thai restaurants in Seattle. In fact there are a lot of Asian restarants in Seattle, I don't know why /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was living on Whidbey Island I used to wonder where I made the wrong turn into Japan when Id go to Vancouver or Seattle.

ThaSaltCracka
11-11-2004, 03:34 PM
duuuuude, Teriyaki is the [censored] mayne!

Sincere
11-12-2004, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
haha, are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead serious man. The old people here get up at 6 am, do some stuff around the house, eat some breakfast, go to the bank, b/c banks have free coffee. After the bank they go to the mall and hang out in the mall for like 5 hours so they dont have to run there own AC they can soak up the malls AC. Then at like 3 pm they got to the all u can eat buffet for and stuff them selves so they only have to pay for 1 meal for lunch and dinner combined. Then they pretty much go home and go to bed. I shi t you not.

blendedsuit
11-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Dunkin Donuts every 3 miles.

Ray Zee
11-12-2004, 01:29 AM
here in montana we had a place that made pancakes till their roof caved in from snow. and i heard there was a place somewhere that would cook you a steak.

Q8offsuit
11-12-2004, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
haha, are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead serious man. The old people here get up at 6 am, do some stuff around the house, eat some breakfast, go to the bank, b/c banks have free coffee. After the bank they go to the mall and hang out in the mall for like 5 hours so they dont have to run there own AC they can soak up the malls AC. Then at like 3 pm they got to the all u can eat buffet for and stuff them selves so they only have to pay for 1 meal for lunch and dinner combined. Then they pretty much go home and go to bed. I shi t you not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't this a Seinfeld episode? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NLSoldier
11-12-2004, 03:29 AM
definately mexican...maybe has somthing to do with being like 15 min from mexico, i dont know...

Sponger15SB
11-12-2004, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
definately mexican...maybe has somthing to do with being like 15 min from mexico, i dont know...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but mexican food in mexico is either shitty or isn't the real "american" mexican food.

San Diego is soooo good for mexican food though. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I miss it.

nicky g
11-12-2004, 06:12 AM
In London:

Everywhere: lots of almost hidden Japanese restaurants (even more hidden in Barcelona; they're like secret clubs or something).

Dalston (East) and Green Lanes (North East) and North Islington (North): nothing but Turkish and Kurdish restaurants

Brick Lane (East) and Southhall (far North): nothing but Indian restaurants (although these are everywhere anyway)

Edgware Road and environs (West Central): nothing but Lebanese resataurants

West Kensington (West): Lots of Iranian restaurants

Chinatown (central) and Queensway (West): nothing but Chinese restaurants (obviously). The Queensway ones are much, much better (also a fair few Indian, Iranian and random other (Brasilian, Mexican, Iraqi, Bangladeshi) places round there. Probably best to avoid these if you're American as European Chinese food is generally inferior to US Chinese food, although some of the stuff in these places is pretty authentic.

Camden (North central): quite a few Greek restaurants, lots of other one-offs.

Vauxhall/Stockwell (South): Nothing but Spanish/Portuguese restaurants

Central: lots of bad, overpriced Italian restaurant and tourist traps.

Near me (Northish): a bit of everything: a great Cambodian restaurant, a passable Turkish restaurant, a great Moroccan restaurant, a so-so Lebanese restaurant, a good sushi place, a good Greek place and a couple of other decent ones, two decent Indian restaurants, a great chicken chain (Nando's - yum), a good Vietnamese place, a good tapas place. Have to go a bit further up the road to where I used to live for a decent Chinese restaurant and a very good Indian.

A lot of people here use English food as their measure of awfulness and they're sort of right (I used to complain bitterly, having grown up in Belgium) but things are getting better (food in pubs has improved immeasurably in the time I've lived here, for example) and in London at least you can eat excellently and pretty cheaply in most of these places. The selection of great ethnic restuarants is one of the few things that makes living here just about tolerable. You can get good (and bad - watch out) Indian food just about everywhere in the UK. You need to avoid pretty much everything in the touristic centres like the plague; they are probably responsible for a lot of the bad rap eating here gets.

spamuell
11-12-2004, 06:18 AM
Good post. I used to work in North East London... fortunately, I don't now.

You missed out North West. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nicky g
11-12-2004, 06:20 AM
"You missed out North West. "

Yeah... having been to Neasden, I thought as as an Irishman it was best to keep quiet.

James Boston
11-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Soul Food

theBruiser500
11-12-2004, 09:52 AM
you guys make me jealous, sounds like there is a lot of good food where everyone is but me. we have fast food here, and bad pizza.

eMarkM
11-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Here in the NW burb of Chicago that I live in, I think there must be a law that every strip mall must have an Indian restaurant.

jakethebake
11-12-2004, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but mexican food in mexico is either shitty or isn't the real "american" mexican food.

San Diego is soooo good for mexican food though. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I miss it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah. Forget that Cali-Mex stuff. Give me some good ol' Tex-Mex!

ThaSaltCracka
11-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Yeah, Seattle especially is full of ethinic cuisine, especially asian food, and most if not all of it is safe! To bad Mexican food is my favorite. My buddy use to live in SB, and I would go down there and visit him. There was this awesome burrito shack down there. hmmmmmmm....

stabn
11-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Actually we have a lot of sushi restaraunts as well. Along with a ton of indian places on the eastside.

GuyOnTilt
11-19-2004, 04:02 PM
My buddy use to live in SB, and I would go down there and visit him. There was this awesome burrito shack down there. hmmmmmmm....

But Seattle has Taco Del Mar, which has a sweet Super Burrito and good fish tacos. I miss it.

GoT

ThaSaltCracka
11-19-2004, 04:05 PM
if you are ever in Bellevue, go check out Casa D's, their burritos are even better, plus its ran by a bunch of stoners! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GuyOnTilt
11-19-2004, 04:10 PM
if you are ever in Bellevue, go check out Casa D's, their burritos are even better, plus its ran by a bunch of stoners!

I'm coming up for a week Tuesday, so I'll check it out.

GoT

stabn
11-19-2004, 04:13 PM
I'm always in bellevue and i've never tried casa d's, i'll have to check it out.

ThaSaltCracka
11-19-2004, 04:16 PM
its right by where McD's use to be on Bellevue way.

GuyOnTilt
11-19-2004, 04:21 PM
its right by where McD's use to be on Bellevue way.

I'm not completely sure where that is...Like, right near the downtown park? I don't know exactly what cross-street that would be, but like a few blocks south of 8th?

GoT

stabn
11-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Corner of Main and Bellevue way. Just go south on bellevue way from the mall.
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?ed=ihkSIuV.wimG11p4ilfkoSpvqYGMGkcDtjjA1 RPqm6WbdKdxvAPbf21VGg9xkB6_ys3Jdl0XHxwltAahTA--&csz=bellevue%2C+wa&country=us&tcsz=Bellevue+WA+98 004&tcountry=us&tname=Casa+D%26%2339%3Bs+Taqueria& tdesc=%28425%29+462-8410

ThaSaltCracka
11-19-2004, 05:17 PM
yeah its between Main st. and 4th I beleive, right on Bellevue way.

WillMagic
11-19-2004, 05:54 PM
In Cupertino (in silicon valley near san jose,) we have, percentagewise, the biggest population of Asians in the state - something like 40%. As a result, the Chinese food in this suburb is spectacular. There are not one, but two restaurants within 2 miles of my house that have better Chinese food than I've found anywhere else, even Chinatown in SF or LA. There are probably four more that are reasonable. It's really something...it reminds me of the quality of Italian joints in Long Island.

Will

Analyst
11-19-2004, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In Cupertino (in silicon valley near san jose,) we have, percentagewise, the biggest population of Asians in the state - something like 40%. As a result, the Chinese food in this suburb is spectacular. There are not one, but two restaurants within 2 miles of my house that have better Chinese food than I've found anywhere else, even Chinatown in SF or LA. There are probably four more that are reasonable. It's really something...it reminds me of the quality of Italian joints in Long Island.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

Will - which Chinese restaurants? Our standby is Mandarin Gourmet but are always on the lookout for something truly outstanding. FWIW, I think Mandarin Gourmet is good, not great, and that it's easy to make good Chinese food but very, very hard to find anything better.

Iceman
11-19-2004, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seattle area is full of Teriyaki and Pho restaurants. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In Tokyo, where I used to live, there was fresh sushi on every block practically, and literally dozens of Thai, Indian, and Korean restaurants.

Now I'm in New York, where there's a huge number of Chinese, Indian, Italian, and Mexican restaurants, and also many Middle Eastern, Thai, Latin, and Ethiopian ones if you know where to seek them out.

WillMagic
11-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Wow, you guys are so close to where the really good restaurants are.

There's Hong Fu, which is at the Crossroads shopping center at Stevens Creek and De Anza. Fantastic place for dinner, and my favorite restaurant in the area Try the Prawns with Walnut and Cream Sauce, or the Cashew Chicken, or any number of other things. They are really very good.

Then, if you like Dim Sum, Canton Delights behind Target and near that whole Marina Foods plaza is fantastic.

I've only been to Mandarin Gourmet once, and I thought it was fine, but that it paled in comparison to the restaurants above.

Will

Sponger15SB
11-19-2004, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My buddy use to live in SB, and I would go down there and visit him. There was this awesome burrito shack down there. hmmmmmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are talking about Isla Vista than its Freebirds, I don't eat there much cause their [censored] ripping off everyone ($8 for nachos with meat and guac?!?! c'mon!) since they raised their prices for like the 3rd time in 2 years.

ThaSaltCracka
11-19-2004, 08:23 PM
no, it was close to the mall in downtown SB, it was really small.