PDA

View Full Version : sittin on left of aggressive player

01-04-2002, 01:37 AM
While playing the 5 max games on paradise, I have come to question whether or not it is good to sit to the left of the aggressive raiser. I have noticed that when the aggressor is on the button i get murdered, so I have come to the conclusion that it isn't worth sitting directly on the left of the him. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan

01-04-2002, 07:28 AM
If he's very aggressive, I wouldnt want to sit 2 on the left of the aggressor, since my blind would almost be constantly under attack by the aggressive player with position.

Where to sit depends if he's a good postflop player or not. If he's overaggressive and bluffs a lot I prefer to sit on his left. Since I play mostly 3/6 (with $1 SB) it's often correct to let go of your SB if he attempts a steal, and on all future rounds I will have position on him (even in BB). When he plays well postflop, I often want to sit on his right. If I'm BB he's UTG (so not likely to steal), if I'm button, he's SB (and therefore also less likely to get involved when I'm stealing the blinds (and he got worst position).

Regards

01-04-2002, 11:42 AM
Agressiveness (not to a maniac's degree, although I have seen some very good SH; HU players appear as such) is a key element to successful SH and HU play. If I'm on the button knowing you're going to muck from the BB with anything less than even a mediocre hand, then it would be to my benefit and correct to try and steal more often.

There are too many details to SH; HU play to mention here. The blinds come around so fast in SH; HU play. A good place to start might be that you must call and/or play back more often.

I would prefer to still be on his left because you will always have position except when you're in the blinds.

If you can't handle this type of aggressiveness yet, maybe stick to full ring games and practice this principle there, which won't come up as often as in SH; HU play.

Remember also, most of the time (especially online) we won't have the luxury of seat selection).

Hope this helps,

KC50

01-05-2002, 02:24 AM
There's a chance, as we point out in HPFAP-21, that you are not calling enough on the flop when you are in the blind. In fact, you need to call much more on the flop than seems logical to most because of the size of the pot. If you haven't read the short handed section in this book you may want to take a look at it.