PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom of pre-flop raises

01-03-2002, 11:13 AM
Even though I've played thousands of hands and have been a consistent winner, have read and reread many books. I still do not understand the main logic behind pre-flop raises.

Background.

I play 99% short-handed games in the $4 to $10 range. Typically 4 people will see the flop and 3-4 will see a raise.

Most books I've seen say raise as opposed to just calling (depending on your position and so forth). However, I rarely hit my cards with my raising hands.

Is the reason to raise with suited connectors only to get more money into the pot and if you don't hit what you are looking for FOLD? Is sacrificing 1 bet justified for the times when you do hit it and the pot is bigger?

What about unsuited connectors where you will not have the flush draw chance.

Pocket pairs are another story and I like raising with anything above 44. Not a problem.

I just need some logic behind raising with KQs or KJs or Kto late.

Thanks

01-03-2002, 03:36 PM
In short handed games, position = money. You raise because you don't neccessary need to hit your hand to win. Most of the time your opponents will have no pair just like you and you can play no pair poker, but you have the positional advantage.

01-03-2002, 05:20 PM
First of all, that sounds like a fairly loose game.

You ask:

"Is the reason to raise with suited connectors only to get more money into the pot and if you don't hit what you are looking for FOLD? Is sacrificing 1 bet justified for the times when you do hit it and the pot is bigger?"

Shorthanded, small and medium suited connectors go down in value everywhere but on the button because you're rarely getting good enough odds to justify any sort of draw. A good chunk of your profit will come from buying the blinds. Any playable hand is a raising hand to open from the button, of course, but the smaller connecting cards won't show the kind of profit big cards will for obvious reasons.

Most players will recognize the lowered hand quality standards of an opening raise from the button in ANY game, much less a short game. Therefore, if you're going to open for a raise on the button with 6/7, don't be surprised if someone comes over the top. Then you gotta hit the flop.

As for the KQs, KJ, and KT, opening late for a raise with these cards is profitable because they're usually best, and you'll grab the blinds a bunch. But if you get called before the flop, flop nothing and get bet into, you know it's raise or fold time, depending on who you're up against.

01-03-2002, 05:54 PM
How long do you go without hitting your hi card. I know you can't answer that but there are not many books that really explain short handed play AFTER the flop.

IF I miss and bet and have 4 limpers calling . . . . . I FREAKS ME OUT!! lol

01-04-2002, 05:57 AM
Some reasons to raise:

A.Pick up the blinds.

B.bluff the flop if high cards flop(A orK best)

C.Take are free card on the turn or flop if so desire.

D.Build a bigger pot to justify drawing.

IMO none of the reasons alone justifies a raise but taken togather the resulting profit more than

offsets the extra bet invested.

(bonus:stops opponents from bluffing u on the flop).

Keep raising