PDA

View Full Version : KQo early in tourney?

luvrhino
11-11-2004, 11:01 AM
I've been troubled by what to do with KQo early in a tourney. It's a good hand, i think, but it's dominated by both AK and AQ. I'm fairly conservative early in a SnG, so i currently limp in with it in Limit SnGs and fold it for NL. The theory being that my maximum loss is capped in Limit if i *am* dominated, however usually it's good if i flop Top Pair. In NL, the risk of losing many chips if dominated is too high for me.

Later in a tourney, i usually raise with KQo. What do you people do? What about Level 2 in Party/Empire?

Benholio
11-11-2004, 11:04 AM
I don't play KQo early in SnG's either, unless there are extreme circumstances.

stripsqueez
11-11-2004, 11:18 AM
i think limping in at the back in a limit SNG isnt the worst thing

in a NL game i think its complete garbage - if i had to guess the hand that has cost my opponents the most money in the early rounds of a NL SNG it would be KQ

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Dominic
11-11-2004, 02:48 PM
I mostly agree with everyone saying KQ is not a great hand in NL...but nothing wrong with limping with suited KQ as long as there are no raises...you flop top pair, you're going to have the best kicker almost everytime...

Unarmed
11-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Agreed. KQs in late position is definitely a playable hand early in the low buying SNGs. Obviously, you're chucking it to any raise.

hectorjelly
11-11-2004, 03:07 PM
I would normally limp in with KQ in Mp or LP, Im surprised that people would fold preflop to no raise, AQ or AK hands tend to raise, and you get a lot of limpers with KJ or QJ which can make it profitable.

luvrhino
11-11-2004, 05:07 PM
If there was a min raise, i wouldn't necessarily chuck KQs in NL, especially in late position. Sure, if there's only one opp, then the risk/reward ratio isn't in your favor. Otherwise, i think KQs is worth seeing a Flop for a smallish raise, even in higher buy-in games. Hell, KQs is one of the few hands with which i'll cold call a raise in ring games.

Unarmed
11-11-2004, 05:33 PM
I disagree.
A PF raise kills the high card value of KQs as you can't assume you have TPTK now if a K or Q falls.
Sure, you an still play it for straight/flush value but KQ only makes 2 straights and just generally, I'm not playing any SC to a raise in a SNG because stacks aren't deep enough.

My opinion...

TheGremlin
11-11-2004, 05:54 PM
NL - early position I fold KQ.
Late position - I will call as long as no rais or rais <= X3 blind and I am good on stack
I dont play limit so I dont know much about it, but I think I would see the flop with KQ on limit hand.

When I play this in NL, I remind myself that the power of this hand is in 2 pair str8 or 3 of a kind. and I will fold if I got nothing or there is a big bet to call.

AA suited
11-11-2004, 06:07 PM
if co/button in early rounds of a nl sng and noone raises, i call w/KQo, else muck.