PDA

View Full Version : Does this kinda crap piss anyone else off?

Daliman
11-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Ok, so, my mom always sends me emails of stuff SHE gets enails of and likes, and lately, Ive ben getting a lot of closeminded crap sent my way by her, espousing itself as "How great things used to be" type thinking, but actually crap. This is what she sent me earlier tonight...

"HOW OLD IS GRANDMA?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end - it will blow you away.

One evening, a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events. The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandma replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses, Frisbees and the pill..

There were no credit cards, laser beams or ball-point pens.
Man had not invented pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes dryers, and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and man had yet to walk on the moon.
Your Grandfather and I got married first and then lived together.
Every family had a father and a mother.
Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, "Sir"- - and after! I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."
We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, day-care centers, and group therapy.
Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.
We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.
We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.
Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends - not purchasing condominiums.
We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.
We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios. And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.
If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk.
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
We had 5&10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents. Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.
And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail one letter and two postcards.
You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, but who could afford one?
Too bad because, gas was 11 cents a gallon.
In my day, "grass" was mowed, "coke" was a cold drink, "pot" was something your mother cooked in, and "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,"chip" meant a piece of wood, "hardware" was found in a hardware store and software" wasn't even a word.
And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.
No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.

And how old do you think grandma is???
Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.
This is something to think about. How time has changed......

Grandma is 58 (born 1946)
How could so much go wrong in such a short time?"

Coincidentally, MY mother is 58 8and was born in 1946.

Anyways, here was my quick response( getting REAL sick of this type of crap floating around...)

" Mom, seriously. You gotta stop sending me this hateful crap. Back then women were subservient too. Black people were still called niggers, and werent allowed to go to school with white children, or drink from the same fountains. In your day, womens couldn't leave abusive husbands, and were allowed to legally be beaten with a stick by their husbands, as long as it was no thicker than his thumb.

This whole line of thinking disgusts me. Join the 21st century mom, I know you're not this crotchety."

Anyways, as I was having problems getting to sleep tonight,(this morning...), this reminded me of a HORRENDOUS song by Tim Mcgraw called "Back When", which, other than the fact that my wife listens to this album all the time and it sucks donkey balls, except for one half-decent song,(Live like you were dying), just pisses me off for its veiled bigotry. Here are the lyrics...

"Don't you remember
The fizz in a pepper
Peanuts in a bottle
At ten, two and four
A fried bologna sandwich
With mayo and tomato
Sittin' round the table
Don't happen much anymore

We got too complicated
It's all way over-rated
I like the old and out-dated
Way of life

Back when a hoe was a hoe
Coke was a coke
And crack's what you were doing
When you were cracking jokes
Back when a screw was a screw
The wind was all that blew
And when you said I'm down with that
Well it meant you had the flu
I miss back when
I miss back when
I miss back when

I love my records
Black, shiny vinyl
Clicks and pops
And white noise
Man they sounded fine
I had my favorite stations
The ones that played them all
Country, soul and rock-and-roll
What happened to those times?

I'm readin' Street Slang For Dummies
Cause they put pop in my country
I want more for my money
The way it was back then

Coke was a coke
I miss back when
I miss back when
I miss back when

Give me a flat top for strumming
I want the whole world to be humming
Just keep it coming
The way it was back then

Coke was a coke
I miss back when
I miss back when
I miss back when"

Notice most of the "Back when's" seem to bemoan a term usually associated with black slang/culture? Also that he bitches about "Pop in my country", when HE is when of the leading proponents of this crappy "Write the title, then the song" genre that seems to have taken over country music, where a cliche, country or not, is flogged to death by some dumbass in a cowboy hat who thinks its funny how stupid us city slickers are. Songs like;

"Do you want fries with that?"-Mcgraw
"A little less talk and a lot more Action." Toby Keith
"How do you like me now?" Keith
"Who's your Daddy?" Keith
"Here's a quarter, call someone who cares." Travis Tritt

Thankfully, I cant think of any others off the top of my head, but I think you get the jist of it.

Anyways, it just really pisses me off when people talk about how great things used to be way back when and how they suck now, especially in cases like the initial quoted email where it talks about comptuter terms that used to mean something else. Yeah, computers are TERRIBLE things, easily causing the downfall of society. I also like the "draft dodger" comment, considering the fact that "her" generation was the one that ushered the term in, and I'm not even sure if there WAS a draft for Korea.

So, the main crux of my posting here is to have some of the warped minds here make up a few lines of rebuttal of their own, sort of like I did back to my mom, that I can compile and send out en masse via email. I'll throw in a few more to get the ball officially rolling;

Back in YOUR day, lead paint was used on childrens toys, and caused numerous deaths and cases of permanent brain damage.

Back in YOUR day, if a woman happened to get pregnent before marriage, she was ostracized by society.

Back in YOUR day, a DUI, or "Dewey", was the guy that lived at the end of the block, as drinking and driving wasn't illegal unless you hurt someone in an accident, and often not even then.

Back in YOUR day, we lived under the constant threat of nuclear war from the russians.

Let's get some more, my warped brethren!

daveymck
11-11-2004, 07:28 AM
I think if I sent my mam that email I would get a slap next time I saw her.

Daliman
11-11-2004, 07:31 AM
Mebbe so, But I pull no punches when it comes to this reactionary crap, and she's been sending tons of it.

Duke
11-11-2004, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it common for people to be unable to communicate normally with their mother?

~D

Daliman
11-11-2004, 07:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it common for people to be unable to communicate normally with their mother?

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Methinks in merry olde england, it 'tis.

daveymck
11-11-2004, 09:30 AM
I would not use that tone no.

jakethebake
11-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Just put your mom on your "blocked sender" list.

Rushmore
11-11-2004, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Do you want fries with that?"-Mcgraw
"A little less talk and a lot more Action." Toby Keith
"How do you like me now?" Keith
"Who's your Daddy?" Keith
"Here's a quarter, call someone who cares." Travis Tritt

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed an obvious one.

I know nothing about this modern country crap, but I have seen the video for the following song quite a few times, and it's the poster child for what you're talking about:

You Do Your Thing (I'll Do Mine) or whatever it's called, by Montgomery Gentry or Clovis Montgomery or Buford Carlisle or some such body.

Man, this thing is annoying as hell.

Edge34
11-11-2004, 11:07 AM
"You Do Youy Thing" is about someone who doesn't take crap, who's going to live their life the way they see fit, and to hell with anybody who's got a problem with that. A great song in my mind. As far as the video, that's a good one too - strikingly simple in most places.

Funny, reading the original post, before I got to the mention of the song, "Back When" is exactly what I thought of. And its not about how bad it sucks today, its about how much simpler life was before, or at least how it seems like it was.

Rushmore - You drilled the title and artist the first time. Closet country fan embarassed to admit it? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Edge

Rushmore
11-11-2004, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rushmore - You drilled the title and artist the first time. Closet country fan embarassed to admit it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I simply have a photographic memory for all the wrong crap.

For instance, I can tell you the name of the actress who played Mrs. Roper (Audra Lindley), I can tell you which Clash albums Topper Headon played on (as opposed to Terry Chimes), and I can describe to you the philosophy behind John Rawls' utilitarian theory of duties and offices (don't ask), but I can't tell you the odds of your hand standing up if you've got a flush draw and an overcard against what you know to be an overpair to the board lower than your overcard.

But I digress.

That Austin Montgomery (yes, I know) song makes me want to puke, it's so transparently playing to Middle America's longing for simpler values, etc.

It's no better than "Philadelphia Freedom" or "Candle in The Wind [Pt. 3, redux]".

tripdad
11-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Does this kinda crap piss anyone else off?

not at all.

cheers!

nicky g
11-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Pisses me off.

YourFoxyGrandma
11-11-2004, 12:24 PM
My grandma does alot of e-mail forwarding. I just don't read any of it.

ilya
11-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Dude, your mom was getting way out of line. Way to shut her down.

Daliman
11-11-2004, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Funny, reading the original post, before I got to the mention of the song, "Back When" is exactly what I thought of. And its not about how bad it sucks today, its about how much simpler life was before, or at least how it seems like it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it may seem like that, but it's not. It's how crappy things are today in the case of the email definitely, and not much different in the case of Mcgraw's song.

Mcgraw would have zero problem living life exactly as he envisioned his life "Back When". I doubt Faith Hill discusses crack, hoes, coke, or the terms "screw" and "blow" in any fashion Tim would see as bad. Although, considering how Tim cheated on his girlfreind of 4 years to date Faith(my wife happened to be casual friends with the ex at the time) seems there some things he doesn't mind not being like "Back When"

Daliman
11-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Bah. You guys aren't playing along...

I WANT VITRIOL, DAMMIT!

Let's put those mind to work on our own "back in your day" statements. What do I not pay you people for?

eric5148
11-11-2004, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I WANT VITRIOL, DAMMIT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll try.

1 - Not having a vaccine for polio was a GOOD thing?

2 - No, you didn't have TV, computers, or video games. Your entertainment came from 2 or 3 radio stations, and you had no choice but to like whatever they wanted you to like.

3 - Let me get this straight: You only needed one income to support a family but nobody could afford a car?

nicky g
11-11-2004, 01:19 PM
If you really want to read some dumb nostalgic rubbish try Peter Hitchens. He's a British writer who thinks everything went wrong in the 60s. A bit off-point being British focused, but some really ridiculous stuff. On the other hand, it is far better written than the email your mum forwarded.

Sponger15SB
11-11-2004, 02:30 PM
DEATH OF AN INNOCENT

I went to a party , Mom, I remembered what you said.
You told me not to drink, Mom, so I drank soda instead.
I really felt proud inside, Mom, the way you said I would.
I didn't drink and drive, Mom, even though others said I should.
I know I did the right thing , Mom, I know your always right.
Now the party is finally ending, Mom, as everyone is driving out of sight.
As I got into my car, Mom, I knew I'd get home in one piece.
Because of the way you raised me, so responsible and sweet.
I started to drive away , Mom, but as I pulled out in the road,
The other car didn't see me and hit me like a load.
As I lay there on the pavement, Mom, I hear the policeman say,
The other guy is drunk, Mom, and I'm the one who will pay.
I'm lying here dying, Mom, I wish you'd get here soon.
How could this happen to me , Mom, My life just burst like a balloon.
There is blood all around me, Mom, and most of it is mine.
I hear the medic say, Mom, I'll die in a short time
I just wanted to tell you, Mom, I swear I didn't drink.
It was the others Mom. The others didn't think.
He probably was at the same party as I.
The only difference is , He drank and I will die.
Why do people drink Mom? It can ruin your whole life.
I'm feeling sharp pains now. Pains just like a knife.
The guy who hit me is walking Mom, and I don't think its fair.
I'm lying here dying and all he can do is stare.
Tell my brother not to cry , Mom. Tell Daddy to be brave.
And when I go to heaven, Mom put "Daddy's Girl" on my grave.
Someone should have told him , Mom, not to drink and drive.
If only they had told him, Mom, I would still be alive.
My breath is getting shorter, Mom. I'm becoming very scared.
Please don't cry for me ,Mom, When I needed you, you were always there.
I have one last question, Mom, before I say good-by.
I didn't drink and drive, so why am I the one to die.

Daliman
11-11-2004, 02:35 PM
Avatar from D&D cartoon circa 1983?

Daliman
11-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Eh, too sappy for my taste, and not exactly on point.

DAMN YOU INFIDELS! DO MY BIDDING!

jakethebake
11-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Thank goodness mine doesn't have e-mail.

Sponger15SB
11-11-2004, 02:58 PM
After you sit through 2 days of anti drinking and driving bullshit and then watch a gym full of high school girls ball your eyes out to that sappy as poem you'd get it.

This wasn't my school.... but it is the same thing....

http://warren.dusd.net/~e15/index.htm

cnfuzzd
11-11-2004, 03:56 PM
After being recently convicted of a dui, (the cop saw me killing a beer in the parking lot, with the car parked, going into the restaurant, and "pulled me over" by walking up to me after i got out of the car.) i had to attend a victim panel. During which this arrogant-ass Highway patrol fucker, who earlier had said, to the entire group, that he knew the cure for aids but couldnt talk about it,(i didnt laugh there) shows this video about car crashes, called "stop the knock." (I didnt laugh there). Most of the accidents were about stupid morons (not very sensitive) who killed themselves talking on a phone or fiddling with the radio. Over all this horrific crash-scene footage, they played some of the worst music put out in the last decade. Creed etc. But when Nsync's "gone" came on, set to the scene of some chick whos head had been ripped off while FIXING HER MAKE UP and driving, i lost it. Busted up laughing for like 90 seconds. Oh, man, did i get some evil looks that day.

peace

john nickle

daryn
11-11-2004, 04:34 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
a DUI, or "Dewey", ...

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never heard someone call a DUI a dewey. i have only heard D. U. I.

River2Pair
11-11-2004, 04:44 PM
I like Merle Haggard, but this one is ridiculous...(1981)

Are the Good Times Really Over for Good?

Wish a buck was still silver.
It was, back when the country was strong.
Back before Elvis; before the Vietnam war came along.
Before The Beatles and "Yesterday",
When a man could still work, and still would.
Is the best of the free life behind us now?
Are the good times really over for good?

Are we rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell?
With no kind of chance for the Flag or the Liberty bell.
Wish a Ford and a Chevy,
Could still last ten years, like they should.

I wish coke was still cola,
And a joint was a bad place to be.
And it was back before Nixon lied to us all on TV.
Before microwave ovens,
When a girl still cooked and chopped wood.

Are we rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell?
With no kind of chance for the Flag or the Liberty bell.
Wish a Ford and a Chevy,
Could still last ten years, like they should.

One more time:

Stop rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell?
Stand up for the Flag and let's all ring the Liberty bell.
Let's make a Ford and a Chevy,
Still last ten years, like they should.
'Cos the best of the free life is still yet to come,
The good times ain't over for good?

Let's sing it again.

Stop rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell?
Stand up for the Flag and let's all ring the Liberty bell.
Let's make a Ford and a Chevy,
That'll still last ten years, like they should.
'Cos the best of the free life is still yet to come,
An' the good times ain't over for good?

elwoodblues
11-11-2004, 04:55 PM
People who are "very familiar" with them call them "Deweys"

VBM
11-11-2004, 05:30 PM
i thought this was a thread about poop-mishaps so my favorite (or least favorite rather) is when you pinch off too fast and you have a turd-mcnugget back there smeared around and you have to wipe for like 45 minutes to get it decent. then u spend the rest of the workday wondering if it stinks when u walk past ppl...

stripsqueez
11-11-2004, 08:27 PM
people that cant change are lifes big losers

but on the other hand change is only accomodated through a true sense of history - your mums e-mail is accurate in describing what used to be the norm - it cant be easy to have lived when it was normal for popular music to be big band and now appreciate rap

my mums a bit the same - i tease her a lot and sometimes she gets it - sometimes we both get pissed off and sometimes we are smart enough to forgive each other and move on

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Daliman
11-11-2004, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a DUI, or "Dewey", ...

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never heard someone call a DUI a dewey. i have only heard D. U. I.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well, things are different in different places. Kinda like how in boston, you never heard "World series champion" til recently.

eric5148
11-12-2004, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought this was a thread about poop-mishaps so my favorite (or least favorite rather) is when you pinch off too fast and you have a turd-mcnugget back there smeared around and you have to wipe for like 45 minutes to get it decent. then u spend the rest of the workday wondering if it stinks when u walk past ppl...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for sharing.

nicky g
11-12-2004, 06:32 AM
Yes, in celebreation of its release in complete box set form.