PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't you raising preflop? (FPS confessions)

AdamL
11-11-2004, 07:07 AM
I'm Adam, and I'm a recovering FPS sufferer. This is a part of my therapy /images/graemlins/wink.gif, but it is also a bit of a rant. That's fine though, because we all know the rants get all the best responses. You've been warned.

There is a Sklansky concept in poker which generally goes like this:

"Since you make your money when your opponents play differently than they would if they could see your hole cards, you should keep the pot small preflop so that they will not have odds to draw postflop."

It often seems to come up when someone is sitting on JJ in the BB and has a few limpers, or something like KQ/AJ UTG. The problem is, it seems to be over-applied. I've been there. The conditions for when not raising preflop are correct are not quite as common at a Party 3/6 game as I used to think.

"I didn't raise JJ on the big blind because I didn't want people to have odds to chase two-pair after the flop."

If you raise preflop, you make them pay 3 SB to see the turn instead of 2 SB. Their odds of hitting 2-pair by the turn are pretty horrible from the get-go, why not make them put in extra money when they are far, far behind? They already are making a mistake by playing the hand in the first place. Would you check AA or KK on the BB?

Let me go through an example of when I think this gets misapplied. Somebody PLEASE chime in with an example when raising preflop (for the above reason) is NOT correct. I'm sure there are times, but I think they are more rare than gits like me have convinced ourselves of.

Ok, so you decide to raise preflop with JJ in the BB against a few limpers, all of whom you are better than.

The flop comes 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif. 8SB, 4 players. Great!

You bet and there are 9SB in the pot now. A loose player calls.

The turn brings the 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

You bet, your opponent raises, and for this example's sake, you see a showdown with him flipping 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for two pair. (You might fold if he was LP-P)

I just don't see raising preflop being a mistake here "because you gave him odds to chase".

When did he have odds?

Lets see. You made him put in 2 SB preflop with about a 1:4 pot odds. He had about a 1 in 50 chance of hitting two pair, and a 1 in 8 chance of flopping a straight draw. No problem here.

"But on the flop he had odds to chase his two-pair"

He had pot odds, but he is putting in an extra bet on the flop 1:1 with you. Most of that pot is yours, and every extra bet he puts in is yours. (Thanks DavidC) He's 8.2 to 1 to make two-pair here. His equity in this pot is about 1SB. If he calls your flop bet because you raised preflop and make this nice 8.5BB pot, you are getting an extra 2SB. 1 extra SB on the preflop, and 1 extra SB on the flop.

When he calls your flop bet, he has put in 3SB total for this hand, with the pot laying 9SB on the flop *after your bet*.

Put yourself in his shoes. If you *had* to play this hand, do you want to see a flop for 1SB and go from there, or pay 2SB preflop, hit a weak draw, and have to pay an extra SB just to try and catch on the turn due to "pot odds"?

Raise preflop. Make worse hands pay extra bets. Don't wait for them to make their mistakes preflop, because you can profit from their mistakes right now.

/rant

This thread won't be complete until somebody posts some good examples of CORRECT "limping not to build a big pot preflop" instances.

Thanks guys.

Lost Wages
11-11-2004, 09:13 AM
This thread won't be complete until somebody posts some good examples of CORRECT "limping not to build a big pot preflop" instances.

AJo/KQo in late position (and certainly in a blind) after many limpers.

Lost Wages

DavidC
11-11-2004, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of that pot is yours, and every extra bet he puts in is yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way that I look at it is that the preflop is all yours, but as soon as the flop comes up the cards have basically given them back equity in the pot that they may not have deserved.

After that point, you get to hammer away at them for the rest of the hand, and they're obliged to call with less than their fair share of equity for the further bets.

DavidC
11-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Adam, what's an FPS sufferer?

Octopus
11-11-2004, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Adam, what's an FPS sufferer?

[/ QUOTE ]
Fancy Play Syndrome - An insidious disease afflicting better poker players which causes them to look for (and make) non-obvious plays when the straight-forward play is clearly correct.

AdamL
11-11-2004, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

AJo/KQo in late position (and certainly in a blind) after many limpers.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that's a common one, but can you explain it more? (Show a flop, show the odds, show how it works out either way and what you stand to lose or gain depending on how you play.)

It'd also be interesting to see how many limpers counts as "many". I think I'd still raise with 4 limpers or less.

The other thing is, if your opponents are not looking at pot odds and will call down no matter what, I'm not sure limping is correct. You'll win the same % of the time as when you limp, but you stand to win more when you do win and your equity is higher than theirs. I'd still raise with AJ in late position if my opponents were so fishy that they'd see a river with any piece of the flop. My hand has reverse implied odds, so I want to charge them up front, yes?

Adam

Lost Wages
11-11-2004, 04:33 PM
You only profit when other players make mistakes. If they play perfectly then you lose to the rake, it's a smiple as that.

If they will call to the river with any piece of the board, no matter what the pot size, then you would prefer that they are making a mistake by doing so. By raising say 5 limpers with AJo, you make it correct for them to call the flop with all sorts of crazy hads.

With a hand like AJo multiway, your preflop edge may not be as large as you would think. For instance, look at the following hands and their preflop equity in no fold'em hold'em:

A /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 21.388%
3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 21.192%
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6.902%
7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 22.611%
Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 27.908%

You barely win more than your fair share. You are way better off having QTo! (since another player holds an ace). The point is that if you have a preflop edge it is a tiny one. You pass on that small edge in the hope of gaining a larger edge if the flop comes as you would like.

Lost Wages

J.R.
11-11-2004, 04:47 PM
"Since you make your money when your opponents play differently than they would if they could see your hole cards, you should keep the pot small preflop so that they will not have odds to draw postflop."

this presumes you don't have much of a preflop edge, i.e. your opponents play well.

River2Pair
11-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I'm sure you are fully aware of this, but I should point out to newbies who may be lurking here, who maybe haven't read SSH, that with a hand as strong as an overpair, you usually have "hidden outs."

While obviously a jack is the best card for your hand, a duece or a nine also will make a better two-pair hand than the villian in your example.

wuwei
11-11-2004, 04:55 PM
How about this one from last night.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

The lesson here, of course, is that when the big blind is going to flop trip 6s you should raise pf.

Malcom Reynolds
11-11-2004, 05:07 PM
no text

AdamL
11-11-2004, 08:44 PM
You'd raise AK here though, right?

Ac Kd 199839 23.49
3s 3h 170472 20.04
As 6s 77438 9.10
7h 6h 175213 20.60
Qs Td 200792 23.60

AQ?

Ac Qd 165009 19.40
3s 3h 196735 23.13
As 6s 91141 10.71
7h 6h 197987 23.27
Qs Td 152292 17.90

The problem with these examples is that you assume an opponent is holding one of your cards. I don't know that you can make that assumption. In fact, if you knew, you'd rather have KQ than AQ.

When you have AJ and there is no other ace, in this very same situation you have a pretty decent raising hand.

Ac Jd 223172 26.23
3s 3h 140197 16.48
6s 6c 103852 12.21
7h 6h 161063 18.93
Qs Td 209521 24.63

I think we need a better example.

AdamL
11-11-2004, 08:48 PM
I like the perspective that puts it in. It's pretty much about deciding whether you have a decent preflop edge -- if you do, you start hammering right away. This is pretty much the same reason you limp with 76s. Your equity is much higher (especially if you flop a flush or straight) later in the hand, which is why these hands thrive on implied odds. Same with small pocket pairs. Preflop equity is pretty much the basis for raising or not.

# of limpers, type of opponents, table texture, etc... all are clues to whether you have a preflop edge or not and whether a raise will be right or now.

When you are sitting UTG with KJ and don't raise, it's VERY similar to when you check down a river. You expect to be behind vs. tight opponents WHEN YOU ARE CALLED... so the bet has -EV, even though you might have the best hand.

Useful stuff. Thinking like this will go a long way towards getting people off playing preflop by wrote.

Gatts
11-11-2004, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 21.388%
3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 21.192%
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6.902%
7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 22.611%
Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 27.908%

[/ QUOTE ]

All of which are reasonable limping hands, aside from A6.

Problem is, your opponents aren't reasonable...

AdamL
11-14-2004, 02:53 AM
OK, so anyone want to take another crack? Maybe up the limpers to 7?

Kenrick
11-14-2004, 07:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You only profit when other players make mistakes. If they play perfectly then you lose to the rake, it's a smiple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the problem. If you raise limpers with your JJ, they have already made a mistake by paying too much to see the flop versus a good hand. If they knew you were going to raise, they'd have probably folded and avoided their mistake.

Trix
11-14-2004, 08:27 AM
Think elysium said something like: "The CO canīt check-raise the button", some time ago.

You can probably fold right there, especially with the BB calling.
After BBīs call-cap, you can be very sure that he has atleast a 6, fold.

StellarWind
11-14-2004, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I had the hardest time with this concept. I finally figured out the real reason for not raising these hands and tried to explain myself here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1180987&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) and again here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1182972&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1).

AdamL
11-15-2004, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I had the hardest time with this concept. I finally figured out the real reason for not raising these hands and tried to explain myself here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1180987&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) and again here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1182972&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1).

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome, thanks for the links StellarWind.

Nate tha' Great
11-15-2004, 09:55 PM
I think that if you always raised hands that were getting fair share on the Button, you would hardly ever be making a mistake. Getting the blinds out and possibly setting yourself up for a free card on the flop/turn are worthwhile objectives. About the only times that I won't raise are when I've been raising a lot and my table image is very loose.

In the blinds, it's a different matter, since there's nobody left out there to fold, and you can put yourself in a tough spot first to act if you miss the flop.