PDA

View Full Version : Missed turn C/R.. bet out against passive?

bobdibble
11-11-2004, 03:32 AM
MP2 is sLP-P
MP3 is captain lagtastic

MP2 has been very, very passive up to this point.

Should I have bet out or gone for the C/R on the turn?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

River: (7 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

ILL34GL3
11-11-2004, 03:49 AM
Was passive MP2 capable of playing ace rag or getting scared by straight possibility? If so, I'd go ahead and bet the turn here. Going for CR doesn't seem too bad here though if you believed lag MP3 would pick up the betting on anything checked to him. Heck, maybe MP2 was going for a CR on MP3.

EvanJC
11-11-2004, 03:55 AM
I'd just go ahead and bet the turn. the rest looks fine though, although i think you can argue for just completing preflop.

GrekeHaus
11-11-2004, 04:15 AM
I would have just completed preflop. KTs is not really that strong of a hand. While it might havepositive equity, it's probably quite marginal. With marginal hands out of position, it's often best to just call. It's not like missing a raise with AK. Here, if you miss the flop, it's easier to get away. Plus, there's a good chance you're dominated against passive players, who might just limp with KQ or KJ.

On the turn in that situation, I'd usually go for a checkraise as well. If he's passive and he raised the flop, he probably has an ace. There's no obvious draw on the board (other than a possible gutshot), so he's probably not playing for a free card.

On the other hand, if he's really loose passive (which it looks like he is), betting out is probably best, as he probably just wants to get to showdown. It all depends on how strong your read is. Against most players, I think the CR is correct.

bobdibble
11-11-2004, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With marginal hands out of position, it's often best to just call. It's not like missing a raise with AK. Here, if you miss the flop, it's easier to get away.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are talking about a big suited cards here. See page 88 of SSHE. "If the pot has not been raised, you should raise these hands from any position" .... "For instance, with a hand like KJs you will often flop at least two overcards and a backdoor flush draw."

Well, I flopped a backdoor flush draw, back door straight draw, and the nut-middle pair. I would have folded if I didn't catch a piece of the flop, and MP2 bet with the A on board.

Oh, and on this flop, I was folding if I didn't catch a K, T, Club, J, or Q on the turn.

See SSHE 87-89 for more info.