PDA

View Full Version : Suitedness

12-27-2001, 04:44 PM
I've had an argument going for several years with a friend who's a good heads up player. Now I've got a place to post it.

Suitedness: I say the value of suitedness is enhanced in shorthanded play - if the board pairs when you have a flush or flush draw, it's less likely that the full house is lurking; he says suitedness diminishes in value - there's never enough pot odds to make a flush draw worthwhile, besides, more hands don't proceed past the flop.

Any thoughts? It may just be a matter of style. I go into short games with a rock's image, and am looking for any excuse to bet. He has the maniac's image and wants to catch someone with the wrong pair.

12-27-2001, 04:49 PM
I would have to agree with your friend. I rarely chase draws in heads-up or shorthanded play. The odds are not there. And so if you're betting a draw and someone's calling all the way, you will not be able to win with a bet, because I doubt the other is chasing a hand. Big cards are the keys to shorthanded play, I'd much rather have a K8o than a 65s, but that's just how I play shorthanded.

Dan C

12-27-2001, 06:08 PM
The only way a suited hand adds value is when your hand can win without catching the flush.

"It may just be a matter of style. I go into short games with a rock's image, and am looking for any excuse to bet".

Unless you're up against the weak and timid type, experienced heads up opponents can/will play back at you but you'll only catch your flush a little more than 1 in 4.

And if you are against a weak and timid opponent you certainly don't need much of an exuse to bet.

Hope this helps.

KC50

12-28-2001, 03:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>I'd much rather have a K8o than a 65s, but that's just how I play shorthanded. </BLOCKQUOTE>

I certainly agree with this, but I raise with 65s on the button more often if the game is short.

12-28-2001, 03:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>The only way a suited hand adds value is when your hand can win without catching the flush. </BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent point. Above, Dan C mentioned K8o. My opinion is that if the K8 becomes suited, it can gain a lot of value heads up, more so than in a ring game. If I flop a pair and one or two of my suit, I can make another (perhaps better) pair start thinking about his kicker.

Others think that this gain is negligible.

12-28-2001, 09:57 PM
I do not like to raise with low suited connectors in shorthanded games. I prefer to raise with these hands in full games after 4 to 6 players are already in (in the SB or BB). I would just call with this hand in shorthanded games, because a lot of experienced players will simply call with high cards if they are able to get a good read on you. Meaning, if you raise, only inexperienced players will automatically put you on AK or two paints. You got to attack in shorthanded games, if u flop a Q with, say, a 4 or 5 kicker, you should still play it very strong.

Dan C

01-02-2002, 06:20 PM
I would much rather have K8o than 65s also, but I I think suited hands do add much value. When somebody raises my blind, I would rather have 65s than K8o to defend with, though.

A lot of times when short-handed you will bet a flush draw (or a backdoor flush draw and a gutshot, etc, etc), get called, catch a pair on the turn or river and it turns out your pair is good.