PDA

View Full Version : Captain Passive $20+2

SmileyEH
11-11-2004, 02:48 AM
Figured I was either way ahead or way behind, and I wasn't comfortable getting the pot big out of position. Who plays this more aggressivly (read: aggressivly at all)?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t800)
Hero (t800)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 calls t15, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t75) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets t25</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls t25, Hero calls t25, BB folds.

Turn: (t150) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets t50</font>, UTG+2 calls t50, Hero calls t50.

River: (t300) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets t40</font>, Hero calls t40, UTG folds.

Final Pot: t380
<font color="green">Main Pot: t380 (t380), between UTG+2 and Hero.</font>

-SmileyEH

Miamipuck
11-11-2004, 03:04 AM
Maybe I am too tight early, but I would never have bothered seeing the flop with a K-9o. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. That is academic anyway.

Yeah I would be worried about kicker or even crazier, a limper with 3's or 7's. I have seen idiots play hands like that even with that flop. Anyway, calling here or raising 2x the BB is probably a good play. Besides this is really early in the tournament anyway, so while you can not win it here you certainly can lose it. This is not the hand nor the time in the tourny to push. SO I think playing it "passive" is not necessarily bad..........IMHO

rjb03
11-11-2004, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I am too tight early, but I would never have bothered seeing the flop with a K-9o. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. That is academic anyway.

Yeah I would be worried about kicker or even crazier, a limper with 3's or 7's. I have seen idiots play hands like that even with that flop. Anyway, calling here or raising 2x the BB is probably a good play. Besides this is really early in the tournament anyway, so while you can not win it here you certainly can lose it. This is not the hand nor the time in the tourny to push. SO I think playing it "passive" is not necessarily bad..........IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

With blinds at 10/15, you can complete with nearly any two. Anyways, they both seem to be scared of the kings. I hardly ever see someone with a big hand keeping the pot so small here, meaning your opponents, not you. I'd probably throw in a decent bet on the turn, check-raise or just bet out I'm not sure. UTG+2 has to figure someone will call more than t40 on that river if he actually has a good hand and I'm pretty sure there's no way UTG would slow down like that unless you have him beat, so I wouldn't worry about a river check-raise too much. With the weak betting, it's too likely to be checked down.

stripsqueez
11-11-2004, 04:08 AM
i think you should probably raise the turn - i suspect in this game someone with an A is prepared to give you a bunch of chips - if not the turn then raising the river seems a good plan too

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Benholio
11-11-2004, 06:34 AM
I would have also just called on the flop, although I wish they would have bet more for me. On the turn, I'm definately not happy with the bet amount, so I am raising.

If I have ATo or something similar, I would play the hand exactly like you did. With trip kings, I am not beat very often, so I am trying to get more chips into MY pot. I don't even consider that I might be beat until someone out there gets really crazy with the re-raises.

Killer Mike
11-11-2004, 10:00 AM
I agree with stripsqueeze and Ben on this one: I would have definitely just called on the flop, but raised on the turn. He only bet 1/3 of the pot on the turn (which may have been a trap, but I doubt it), so if you raise and he just calls, you can be pretty sure you have him beat. Regardless, I think you had him beat anyway, because his betting seems very tentative. 7s or 3s would be my biggest concern, but most likely he's on Ax.

What did he have?

jah0550
11-11-2004, 11:21 AM
I like the play, but why did you only call on the river? I agree with everyone else on the fact that you should have raised on the turn as to make someone pay with Ax. With a 40 bet into a 350+ pot, I am coming over the top with your hand. All in all I like the play, except for the call on the river. I would have at least raised to 100 or so to try and get some extra chips.
Just some thoughts
Jah

SmileyEH
11-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Thanks all, I agree with all of you that I should have thrown a raise in on the turn or river - I actually think betting out 2/3 the pot on the river is probably the best line.

-SmileyEH