PDA

View Full Version : Got called a moron for this one

tj00
11-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Though when the hand was completed, I admitted in the chat this could very possibly be true.

The button is my main opponent in the hand. He is a fairly reasonable player. He is a too loose (31 VIP), and aggressive. Of note the table is tilted due to a couple of LAGs(CO,BB), SB is loose passive. They oddly enough did not get involved post flop in this hand. I was fairly certain the button had no read on my play.

Party 5/10 6 Max - 6 Handed

I am UTG+1 with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG Folds, I Raise, CO Cold Calls, Button 3 Bets, Blinds Call, I Cap, All Call

Flop 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Blinds Check, I Check, CO Checks, Button Bets, SB Calls, BB Folds, I Call, CO Folds

Turn 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB Checks, I Check, Button Bets, SB Folds, I Call

River K /images/graemlins/club.gif

Check, Check

ricochet420
11-11-2004, 03:15 AM
Nice. What is cold call? Who is CO?

stinkypete
11-11-2004, 03:24 AM
did he call you a moron because you forgot to bet the river?

ricochet420
11-11-2004, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
did he call you a moron because you forgot to bet the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
I mighta done the same thing, try to induce a bet so I could raise him.

kiddo
11-11-2004, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are u trying to be funny?

If not:
Coldcall is when you call 2 bets, that is you call a raiser. CO is the the cut off seat, the seat before the last one (button). Its called CO cause you try to cut off the buttons right to act last on every round (at least Bob Ciaffone wrote that).

balkii
11-11-2004, 04:36 AM
why cap and then check that flop?! thats a pretty good flop for nopair.

and i'd have bet the river

Guido
11-11-2004, 06:30 AM
What balkii said...

Guido

ricochet420
11-11-2004, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are u trying to be funny?

If not:
Coldcall is when you call 2 bets, that is you call a raiser. CO is the the cut off seat, the seat before the last one (button). Its called CO cause you try to cut off the buttons right to act last on every round (at least Bob Ciaffone wrote that).

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, serious very new to hear not familiar with the lingo
less than 50 hours of poker and i finished 5th tonight in a NLHE MT Tourney on Poker Champs.

WOOT

Thanks for the info.

djoyce003
11-11-2004, 01:22 PM
why did you get called a moron? Was it for not betting the river? That's really about the only mistake i see. You were absolutely right to call the flop bet at 20-1 odds which is what you were getting. He didn't bet the turn so did he want you to fold with no bets? I'm guessing he had a medium pocket pair and got pissed when the king hit and he lost, but i'm not sure. I would have definitely bet the river.

kayzee72
11-11-2004, 02:06 PM
I have only been playing for a year, but is the raise preflop a slam dunk in that position? What I am saying is I might have checked that utg+1. Is that a stupid move on my part?

My thought process is thus:
I raise and I represent something AA,KK or etc. including AK. So now I have put that thought in some players heads.

I limp, and it is more fuzzy what I am representing. That is to my advantage right?

If I am late postion maybe I do raise....

It got alot of money in the pot, thats for sure. I guess I could learn something from that. I find that when I make great hands I take down low pots.

I agree with every move after that, except the check at the river, min. bet at least right?

JinX11
11-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Sounds like you should be raising much more often, in general.

If you raise only AA and KK, then, yes, it is easy for your opponents to guess what your pre-flop raise means. However, if you start raising a wider variety of hands pre-flop, your opponents still wont know what you have and you will have accomplished your desired result...at their expense, I might add.

Get as much money in as possible with your premium hands. Playing weak-tight costs you money. I think once you start raising more, you'll find the game more fun, too.

djoyce003
11-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Not sure about your style but I raise with a lot more than aa, kk or ak in a short handed game. Depending on the players and position of course, i'm raising with a lot more hands. Say you are in early position, you limp with ak instead of raising, you let a bunch of trash hands in that outflop you and you end up losing 1 pre-flop bet, and possibly 1 flop, 1 turn, and 1 river bet when you flop an ace, and some clown that limped in with 2/3 suited gets two pair, or some other nonsense.

Generally in early position, i'll raise any pair above 7's trying to thin things out, i'll raise the big suited cards, ak,aq,kq, i'll sometimes raise aj or a10, particularly suited, pretty much anything else i'm folding.

In middle to late position, if it's folded to me, i'm raising with just about any ace, any suited and unsuited broadways and any pair.

Maybe i'm too aggro, but I do very very little limping in the short handed games. If i'm playing at a table where my raises are just getting folded all the way around, i leave. What i'm looking for is a game where my raises are called by 1 or 2 people with hands worse than mine. I also feel like I can outplay most of the people after the flop, so I can get away from a hand if it misses, and I can punish the people who call with things they shouldn't have if my hand hits.

tj00
11-11-2004, 02:46 PM
I figured I would get a dose of bet the river. The river play was weak. Some suggested betting the flop. I was certain Button was going to raise my bet. I do not think I have the best hand anymore. What would be your reasons behind betting the flop?

Being called a moron did not hurt my feelings, my girlfriend calls me much worse /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I could not remember ever capping pre-flop, then check calling out.

Oh and the button had T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif

Thanks for the input.

kayzee72
11-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys.
I am sure I need to be more aggresive.
I play in a regular home game and I finish 2nd or 3rd about 80% of the time.

My style is weak-tight for sure. That will get you in the top finishers, but its hard to close the deal playing that way. I will take the advice though.

kayzee72
11-11-2004, 05:54 PM
You do the same thing I do when someone gets mad at online. I just accept it and move on. Really diffuses the situation 9 times out of 10. I

Class move, thanks for being a gentlemen online.

wjmooner
11-12-2004, 01:51 AM
go buy small-stakes hold em by ed miller right now. You can order it here on the site.

And read this board.

WJ

JinX11
11-12-2004, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
go buy small-stakes hold em by ed miller right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, cannot stress this advice enough. Win rate has dramatically improved since doing so over the past three months. I thought I played "decently" before. $2/$4 and $3/$6 are a joke now, assuming good table selection and application of Ed's thoughts. A joke.

Joe826
11-12-2004, 02:09 AM
hey balkii - knowing when to bet my overcards into a huge field like this is something i struggle with as well. as it is, i don't think i want to call a raise with no-pair so i'd probably check-call as well. why exactly are we betting this flop? you might get one or two players to fold, but i seriously doubt it considering the pot and that flop. so you bet the flop, get called in several spots, and the turn is a brick, what's your action? what would the board have to be for you to check this flop? sorry about all the questions heh.

vector
11-12-2004, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
min. bet at least right

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My style is weak-tight for sure. That will get you in the top finishers, but its hard to close the deal playing that way. I will take the advice though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure, but it seems you might be talking about no limit tournaments? If so just as an FYI, most discussion here is about limit ring games.

Weak tight isn't much good for no limit either, although trapping certainly plays a big part of that game.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.