Porcupine
11-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Chesapeake Bay Retriever

Malone Brown
11-10-2004, 11:55 PM
English Bulldog...by far.

Sponger15SB
11-10-2004, 11:59 PM
I have no idea why people like dogs that weigh more than 40 lbs.

Seems like a total pain in the ass to me.

Malone Brown
11-10-2004, 11:59 PM
I've also had a Dalmatian, Chihuahua, Shar-pei, and a beagle, they are also all great dogs

Lazymeatball
11-11-2004, 12:04 AM
If you are going to get any dog that has been bred to have no nasal passage, make sure you find a good breeder. Well bred Boston Terriers or English bulldogs make great pets, but quite often they come with a myriad of health problems.

Sponger15SB
11-11-2004, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've also had a Dalmatian, Chihuahua, Shar-pei, and a beagle, they are also all great dogs

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one of them tastes the best?

goldcowboy
11-11-2004, 12:29 AM
I have no idea why people like dogs that weight less than 40 pounds.

Seems like a total waste of dogfood to me.

Blarg
11-11-2004, 12:36 AM
Partly because there's a certain beauty in the combination of both immense power and grace. A lion is more impressive than a kitten. And also because they can do great physical things without getting hurt, can scare the crap out of burglars, have WAY less diarrhea, and some just look gawdawful GOOD just running around, really being dogs and doggin' it up.

To me, a German shepherd running on the beach, happy as hell, is just a beautiful thing. Strength and power, great lines, joy...just sheer natural beauty. That kind of thing can help set your head on straight in the artificial, far from natural world we live in.

I like big dogs better in general, and to me German shepherds are my favorite. They have a dark, wolf-like beauty and naturalness, a purity of expression that reminds you where they came from and what they are. They don't look as much like a perfectly man-made toy made for the amusement of someone's children and to tolerate endless abuse from them. They look like something to be respected and admired by anyone. Maybe feared by some, but that's fine too, as something of that power and beauty is worth respect and a certain care around, and hopefully the owner is smarter than the dog and has things well under control. That said, I have no problems with a burglar losing a chunk or two of assmeat if he comes within the vicnity of my dog.

Malone Brown
11-11-2004, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Which one of them tastes the best?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I may live in Korea, but am far from Korean.

Philuva
11-11-2004, 12:42 AM
Lab/Shepard/Chow mix, aka my dog. Actually any mutt beats any pure breed.

Blarg
11-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Worst dogs:

1) Anything that yip yip yips all night and has diarrhea -- so poodle, pomeranian, yorkshire terrier, or [insert the name of your favorite dog that could get beat up and eaten by a cat here]

2) Anything that looks like it's about to die --chihuahua comes to mind

3) Anything that drools -- sorry bulldog fanciers, but that sh** is incredibly disgusting and, like the terminator, WILL NOT STOP

4) Anything that makes lots of eye goop(see above, this really is too disgusting to believe, and most people do NOT take care of their dogs and clean and disinfect the eyes constantly, leading to chronic, painful, and sometimes even smelly infections for the dog and its owners that are too selfish and negligent to care for the dogs properly

5) Anything with too long hair. I love some dogs with super-long hair myself, like golden retrievers and Newfoundlands, but face it, how many can honestly say they're willing to spend an hour a day picking burrs out of their dogs' ears, underbelly, and general coat? Almost none. So usually the dog suffers painful skin rips and matting, and looks like hell. The only alternative is to shave the dog, which again most people are too lazy and degenerate to consider doing, so again the dog suffers. Long-haired dogs can be very beautiful, but take a lot of work even if they live solely indoors...and that's no life for a dog in the first place. DOGS MUST RUN! That's Blarg's number one rule for dogs. God help you trying to clean them up afterward if they're sheepdogs or poodles or something.

knifeandfork
11-11-2004, 06:10 PM
i have two female black labs (5 months and 3 years) and they are both great. i doubt that they are pure bred as we adopted both but are wonderful well behaved large and beautiful. the three year old looks like a thouroghbred when she takes off after the squirrels in the yard. Essentially perpetuating a poor breed like a bulldog by paying large sums of money for them seems stupid and borderline cruel. go to your local shelter, my 3 year old looked pretty bedraggled when we got her now people smother her compliments on how beautiful/well kept she looks. dont encourage breeders, there are plenty of great dogs out there getting a needle instead of a hug:(
jason

tolbiny
11-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Dalmations tend to have a wide variety of tastes, very easy to get a fine tasting one, or equally as easy to have a foul one. i guess you could say they are a bit spotty.

tolbiny
11-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Great Dane/Black Lab/Springer Spaniel.

But you are goddamn right about the mutt part,
"My collie is so intelligent"
"My retrever so smart and beautiful"
"My dane so elegant"

HA! We got our first dog form a neighbor- Collie/random otherness mutt, and shes almost 19, friendly as hell, can open gates with her nose (or could untill a few years back) and cost us 0$ to purchase. You can stuff your purbreads in a sack mister, i'll take a mutt over any of them.

Martin
11-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Rottweiler

mosta
11-12-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rottweiler

[/ QUOTE ]

one of the best dogs I've seen was a giant Rottweiler with a head the size of a pumpkin. Perfectly calm disposition, indifferent to strangers, and a great guard dog when needed.

I think the English setter is the most beautiful dog, and dignified. Labs and retrievers I have no use for--there's only so much grovelling I can tolerate. a friend had a great miniature schnauzer and now I'm interested in getting a giant schnauzer. one big plus is that they're not supposed to shed much and are easier to keep clean. you get a shedding dog like a shephard and unless it lives outside, your house turns into a barn. and finally, to pick one dog that most captivates me just on sight, it would be the Neopolitan Masiff (Mastino), with its pensive brow and melancholy eyes. unfortunately they drool constantly, are prone to flatulence, and usually end up with the physical structure of a cow. oh and the Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Masiff). the supposed super dog. seems very cool and bad ass, but again a big drooler, and so distrustful of strangers that I think it would be hard to have casual social interactions without the dog making problems. but if I had a ranch, in a cold climate, I'd probably get a fila and a mastino and a rottweiler and a shephard. but without room for a big dog, there several great small dogs too. poodles shouldn't be lumped in with some of the questionable ones (as above), bc poodles are among the smartest of breeds. but I like something with a little more attitude, and several of the terriers fit the bill: norwich, norfold, and jack russel for instance (a jack russel being the only dog, I think, to make it to the south pole, and back (and this was before planes and motorized ships)), and the mini schnauzer too. all smart, tough, fearless, and full of personality.

Brian
11-13-2004, 09:39 AM
I don't think there really is a "best dog". All the breeds are different in some ways, and you just have to find the type that has the qualities that are appealing to you. All the dogs I have ever had have been strays that my family picked up, so I've had a good mixture of breeds in my life from an early age. We just got our 5th dog a few weeks ago, and it's very different from any dog that I've ever had: a Basenji. It is an African barkless dog that is about 25 lbs. and has short hair. If you're more of a cat person but the family wants a dog, or if you live in an apartment, then they would probably be the "best dog" for you. Personally, my favorite is our part beagle part basset named "Snoopy", who, coincidentally, looks just like Snoopy. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Brian