PDA

View Full Version : What does he know that I don't? (warning... bad beat)

kurto
11-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Let me start by saying (without knowing my results), I feel good about my tournament play considering I haven't studied any books on tourny play vs ring games. Since coming here, I've seen that there's a lot I don't know about... like calling all-in bets with 7-10 based on stack sizes,... that kind of thing.

That being said, here's a hand that I recall losing, and at the time I thought I lost to an idiot. Now I wonder if he knows something about tourny strategy as the big stack that I don't.

Here's what I recall.

Pokerstars - $5.50 NL sng.
The villain is by far the big stack - close to $4K. I believe there were still 6-7 players left. I don't recall the blinds, but they weren't that high.. let's say for the sake of argument, $30-60. I have around $1800.

In Early position, I find myself with K-K. I open 4xBB. 3 callers including the villain. (I don't recall suits but I know there were no scary flush draws)

The flop comes K-8-3. rainbow

Jackpot. With my raise PF, a bet is expected, but I want to milk it a little so I oblige with a small bet. I bet $100. 2 callers, one of which is the Villain who thought for a moment then called. Great. I'm going to milk this.

Turn: (K-8-3) 7

This time I bet $400. One fold and then the villain-- He thinks.... and calls. Based on that board, I can't imagine, except for a PP, what he would be playing. (it may have still been mixed suits, I don't recall) There's nothing on the board that can beat me. Now this guy has played well, only shown down good hands... and earned the chip lead. The only things he could have, far as I figure, is a lower set or he's got Aces or 2 pair.

River- (K-8-3-7) 6

So, I go all in, he immediately calls... and turns over 4-5s. And I'm thinking, I lost to an idiot.

But now I'm wondering... as big stack, is there some principle that says you would call will longshots cause you have the money to lose? I know I underbet for my set on the flop, but still... is there any reason for him to call that makes sense?

6 months ago, I would have said there's never any reason to call ANY raise with a 5-10 offsuit, but I understand that is not necessarily the case in a certain tourny situations. Is there something that I haven't learned that explains his play?

Or do I write it off as losing to a lucky crazy guy? (Again, I don't want to write him off as an idiot only because he got to the big stack by playing good hands well. I understand one strategy as big stack is too loosen up, playing more hands cheaply so that you can bust other players. But I would guess this goes beyond that?)

I apologize for the badbeat story, and I know I think he's wrong... but there's a lot of poker theory I don't know, so there could be some explanation out there...

kurto
11-10-2004, 07:43 PM
I take it by the silence that I have nothing to learn and it was just a bad beat. And I know people hate bad beat stories. so..... no news is good news.

Desdia72
11-11-2004, 12:27 AM
you lost to a lucky, crazy guy. simple as that. i'm a veteran at the $5 + $.50 level on PStars and i've damn near seen it all. if the blind level are at 30/60, then a 4XBB pf raise is 240 chips. then to get multiple callers, a sane player holding 4 5s would surely know his holding is dominated preflop. even when the flop came, a sane player would still know that a 8 and a 3 don't equal a straight draw with 4 5s. i feel you pf raise was fine; however, your flop bet was too low and gives any kind of crazy a cheap enough price to play for something.

except the fact that the guy got lucky. crazies at that level will raise with or call a raise with just about any two. i played in one SNG holding K K and raised about 3-4XBB
getting about 4 callers including a guy with 3 5-suited clubs. i caught trip Kings on the flop (two clubs) and bet the pot. everybody folded except the guy with 3 5-suited who went all-in. an Ace of /images/graemlins/club.gif fell on the river giving him a flush and beating my trip Kings. should he have even been in on the hand in the first place? a sane player would be able to recognize that any two higher club holding on a flop with two clubs means you're playing for the low end, not to mention the King overcard. all this is derived from knowing that the hand you're calling a raise with preflop is dominated, especially when you consider the pf raiser and the other cold callers.

this guy was likely gambling with his stack, which is not uncommon at the $5 + $.50 level. that's not alot of money to lose for a SNG buy-in so you'll run into alot of players who don't take it seriously. i played in this one SNG where this one guy was up and down, pretty much the chipleader until we got down to about 5 players. one player, who i noticed through observation, was playing pretty solid went all-in preflop and the crazy chipleader called with Kd4d. the solid player had A Ko. a King hit on the flop and the solid player was doubled up to a pretty ok stack. i asked the guy why did he call an all-in preflop for such a good amount of chips? his answer was, "because my hand was suited". later on, i ended up denting his stack even further with my A Ko to his A Q and then with an A x-suited hand when i went over the top of his flop bet (two cards of my suit were on the flop) and caught my Ace-high flush. needless to say, he ended up finishing 4th or 5th, out of the money.

lastchance
11-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Every bet you make should be half-pot or more (I think to full pot). Essentially, don't underbet the flop that much...

But I can't see him having the odds to draw to runner-runner straight.